Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility On PC?

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 7, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Feb 7, 2017 at 10:52 AM
  1. 23,894
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    "Never Say Never," Xbox boss Phil Spencer says it's unlikely, but not ruled out!

The Xbox One added backwards compatibility support in November 2015, allowing users to play some Xbox 360 games. Backwards compatibility for Xbox 360 games will be available with Project Scorpio, which launches this holiday.
    [​IMG]
    The Xbox One console has proven its able to play most Xbox 360 games with not much problems, just a bit of updating, and now that the Xbox One is basically a mini-PC based on x86 cores, instead of power-pc, users are wondering if the next step will be 360 on PC by Microsoft.
    So what do you think, will Microsoft bite the bullet and release Xbox 360 games as PC Compatible Titles, they have been pushing alot of 360 onto One, even making newer cases for hot games and selling them again as basically XB1 titles, but would having it on the PC not ruin the whole 'Xbox console experience' itself, or would it open up a whole new marketplace hungry to play a bunch of old games!

NEWS SOURCE: Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility On PC? (via) GameSpot

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Feb 7, 2017.

1. 968
      WoIverine

WoIverine Loyal Member

That's interesting. Wonder how much better some of those games would look and run on say...a gtx-1080, etc.

2. 23,894
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      In the meantime you can try the unofficial version:

http://xenia.jp/

Long way to go, but then its direct emulation, no custom patches thanks to Microsoft having the original 'source code' to recompile, like they do on the Xbox One setup! :)

Ichijoe likes this.
    3. 968
      WoIverine

WoIverine Loyal Member

Coding emulation apps without source code must be an enormous feat. Props to all those who put in the time and effort, huge amounts of talent there.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    4. 6,516
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

My guess is that this would end up either needing extra hardware or DD purchases only thanks to the disc DRM.

That said, I heard about this type rumour years ago and they never delivered on OTA recording, so I'll wait until they actually deliver before caring.

5. 1,808
      Ichijoe

Ichijoe Loyal Member

Mores the pitty that XQEMU don't seem to be going anywhere. I mean how hard could it be to emulate what was an Intel Celeron, with a GeForce 2 GPU?

6. 23,894
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Yeah its a shame the original Xbox was never emulated, it so simple, i guess the problem is they were trying to stay 'legal' by not using the original BIOS, or reversing the bios, leaving you very stuck to get them system to work correctly.

7. 1,436
      IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder Loyal Member

Home Page:
      As long as it's not included with the emulator, there's nothing illegal about it. I would say it's more due to the fact that the handful of Xbox exclusives worth playing wound up on PC anyway, plus it's still VERY easy to grab one and TSOP Flash or Softmod it.

Ichijoe likes this.
    8. 1,808
      Ichijoe

Ichijoe Loyal Member

This is sadly more likely the reason. That said there are, or were plenty of Games that went Halo, or Fable, that are worth playing again. Most of these being mostly TECMO Titles.

9. 509
      AlbedoAtoned

AlbedoAtoned Loyal Member

It's a lot harder than you would think. I remember reading a couple of years about the troubles emulator devs had with trying to make an emulator for the original xbox and while I can't quite find the original article I read I did do some redigging and a post in this thread:https://forums.emulator-zone.com/showthread.php?t=22534 (Post #3) from blueshogun, the developer of CXBX/XQEMU where he talks about a lot of the issues with xbox emulation.

It generally comes down to lack of documentation and how there's a lot more going on behind the scenes on the hardware than you would think.

10. 6,516
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I suspect it would be easier to emulate an Xbone thanks to it's use of VMs.

IIRC allot of the Xbox software was relatively low level in comparison.