XBOX One External Storage Device Converter

Discussion in 'Underground Xbox Scene' started by GaryOPA, May 27, 2014.

By GaryOPA on May 27, 2014 at 9:54 AM
  1. 22,059
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Neat PC Utility in advance of big June XB1 Update

Coming in June is major Xbox One dashboard update, and with it comes the feature of 'External Storage' but the drives are reformatted for XB1 use only, with this utility you can switch back and forth.

[​IMG]

One problem with the upcoming XB1 external storage feature is that it reformats your USB HDD to its own format system.

With this cool new PC utility you can switch your drive back to access the stored data on your PC and switch to back to XBOX mode.

Enjoy!

NEWS SOURCE: Xbox NFO #2337 (via) XBINS

Our thanks to 'Iriez' for this news item!

Attached Files:

Comments

Discussion in 'Underground Xbox Scene' started by GaryOPA, May 27, 2014.

1. 110
      deltax5

deltax5 Loyal Member

Making it easier for you smart moders to patch games so they can play pirated games:). hope they do it.

2. 5,609
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Its obvious that Xbone would use custom filesystem, but Wii U also do that of course.

That doesen't matter. Whats matter is that you get loads of extra space which is the point in the first place.

3. 22,059
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      As far as I know it will use normal ones just reformat, but microsoft is planning on launching their own brand.

4. 615
      LordX

LordX Loyal Member

update will be available only at June , and he make the app already... hmm. got access from inside ?

5. 389
      sped

sped Loyal Member

From what Microsoft as said you can use both of the Xbox ones usb's for storage, so there's no fear of you ever running out of space :)

6. 166
      Penner

Penner Loyal Member

Is this real? This mode switching sounds really weird. Also if the PC sees such a HDD as unformatted/need to reformat, ok. But if the console can't detect the wrong mode and tell you about it, that's just plain wrong.

Well, it's still better than Sony's approach on storage.

7. 141
      xTONE

xTONE Loyal Member

This is just so it can be read on the pc after being formatted on the xb1. sounds like some think this is a offical m$ software and maybe the picture of the dongle is confusing people...

Penner likes this.
    8. 5,609
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Hehe..You are fast. I totally rewrote that post, because i misunderstood something.
      Check the post you replied to. :)

9. 110
      deltax5

deltax5 Loyal Member

Isn't sata faster then usb 3? lets hope they program it right to make it no difference at all.

10. 1,258
      Artlover

Artlover Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Hospital maintenance
      Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
      Home Page:
      By default, the drive only works with the consoles and the mode switching app has nothing to do with nor is sanctioned by MS.

That is a 3rd party app to allow future owners of the drive to access it's contents from a PC.

11. 1
      HenryFord

HenryFord Loyal Member

Does anyone think it will ever be possible to take your offline profile on an XBOX 360 and transfer it over to XBOX One? For example if I play my 360 offline and get achievements, I want to be able to update my profile online without actually connecting the 360. I use to be able to do this between two 360's but not with the offline 360 and online XBONE. THanks.

12. 820
      InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter Loyal Member

Full time student
      Home Page:
      People in the Xbox One beta program have access to it already, i can confirm the app works as described.

Have a look at my tutorial on How to copy files to and from an Xbox One USB Formatted hard drive using a Windows PC

The drive is basically NTFS formatted, however the MBR is changed so Windows cant access the drive by default. An app has already been released that basically put the drive in a state where Windows can read it, then changes the MBR back to a state so the Xbox One can read it again.

In doing so you can copy Xbox One apps / games / demos to your PC, just like with the Xbox 360. I could not get the Xbox One to read any audio / video files off the drive however.

[​IMG]

wewii and GaryOPA like this.
    13. 888
      wewii

wewii Loyal Member

Im currently testing the new dashboard with usb hdd support, working great.

MS said they will address the issue of using the HDD for other storage such a media files.

14. 1
      angerwound

angerwound Loyal Member

New release available: Version 1.1
      Changes
      - Ability for creation of new storage devices allowing people without the June System Preview update to make use of external storage!
      - Ability for USB 2.0 drives to be used with the console.
      - Capability to create multiple partitions on a single drive for use with the XBOX One.

https://mega.co.nz/#!RkI3iZzC!smAnkD7VnZEoHlJcL07UYk46Cn-8qVw1UNGq4avr_Xg

windrider42, InsaneNutter and GaryOPA like this.