Xbox One HDD to small for you? TX member Juvenal has come to the rescue.

Discussion in 'Underground Modding Tutorials' started by GaryOPA, Nov 29, 2013.

By GaryOPA on Nov 29, 2013 at 12:46 PM
  1. 22,056
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    Being the first mod for the Xbox one this is a pretty nice one

Juvenal has succeeded in upgrading the Xbox Harddrive from a 500GB to a 1TB

[​IMG]

While many people were enjoying family, football, and turkey Team Xecuter member Juvenal was at work figuring out how to upgrade the harddrive in the Xbox One and his efforts have paid off.

Here is the info from Team Xecuter:

Team Xecuter has also stated that they are working on a Windows app for those that don't know how to use Linux.

Maybe this is a good sign for some great things to come for the Xbox One.

NEWS SOURCE: Forum Thread #141568 (via) Team-Xecuter

Our thanks to 'steveo1978' for this news item!

Comments

Discussion in 'Underground Modding Tutorials' started by GaryOPA, Nov 29, 2013.

1. 5,957
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Sounds good but you can guarantee that will get you a lovely big banned message when you are wondering why you can't connect online and do an XBL test. I'd rather see a USB external drive used, given it's got USB 3.0 it's likely to be on a par with the usual cheapy drives that are used in consoles.

2. 22,056
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Also since the XB1 dashboard has no 'storage management' feature how do you know it is seeing the whole drive?

Or even using it? -- Can you tell if you fill up the first 500gb, the auto-install,caching feature is adding more past the 500gb mark, or is it starting to wipe out the oldest data, like it is programmed to?

Alot of questions, since the drive management is automatically controlled by XB1 dash, and not the user, and no status is available!

3. 176
      MrECK0

MrECK0 Loyal Member

Rocket Scientist
      IIRC, there was at least one 360 user that was banned soon after launch for modifying the internal fan. I wouldn't expect Microsoft to be any more merciful this time around.

Exactly what I was thinking. It will probably just ignore the extra storage space. But at least we now know that we can replace the HDD if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2013
      JonathanD likes this.
    4. 6,312
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Except there were plenty otherwise who did HDD hacks (via HDSS) and AFAIK they haven't been banned.

I think it depends on the security of the console and how much they're enforcing it. For example, the original Xbox used the serial number in addition to locking the HDD.

5. 26,565
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Staff Member Clean-Up Crew

Smell like a bullsh*t. I am not saiying you are a liar. But I can understad if there is some hide system check to mesure hard disk dimension, but I can't belive that Xbox one can understand if you change a internal fan. Maybe there are Electric sigil, where they can understand if console was open.

6. 6,312
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Don't know if it's true or not but apparently the ban occurred because the 12v hack triggered a sensor on the motherboard.

7. 176
      MrECK0

MrECK0 Loyal Member

Rocket Scientist
      http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/news-archive-16-12-2007.php

3rd article down. Xbox-Scene has always been trustworthy site. And they claim the info came from a "very trusted user". That's good enough for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2013
    8. 220
      steveo1978

steveo1978 Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Two things to point ou0. The first being that the article does not specify how the 12volt fan mod was done. The User may have used software to mod the 360 and increase the fan speeds to 12v/100%. The second point is a hardware method was done then unless MS had a way to check to see if the increased fan speeds were cause by a defective component then I dont think they would know for sure.

I have modded a few systems and used the hardware mod way to 12v a few fans in 360s and never once got banned.

Artlover likes this.
    9. 1
      phychris

phychris Loyal Member

Back in the day the 360 12v fan mod used a 12v line from the dvd drive and that is detectable. You see not long after the 360 was released the dvd drive hack came out (originally meant for xbox) Microsoft started banning any dvd drive anomalies. they slacked off after a few people complained about mistakenly getting banned.

10. 220
      steveo1978

steveo1978 Loyal Member

Home Page:
      I finally got around to asking Juvenal about this and his official statement was

Which that statement has me wondering if I want it to not work more than I want it to work.

rednekcowboy likes this.
    11. 1,258
      Artlover

Artlover Bad Ass Mother 4000, Twice as Fast as your Ass! Loyal Member

Hospital maintenance
      Miami, Fl, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Universe
      Home Page:
      Uh, no. There is nothing detectable about tapping power off the dvd connector. It creates no anomalies.

What MS was detecting was things like the 360's system log showing system boot with no drive attached from when people were powering the drives from the 360 side while the SATA was connected to their PC's.