hit tracker

Advantages of .CIA over .3DS

Discussion in 'Official 'Gateway 3DS' Support Forum' started by Tonyx, Mar 24, 2015.

1. 43
    Tonyx

Tonyx Loyal Member

Hi all!
    I am only using Gateway since yesterday so there is the possibility that I am overlooking something.

I see people usually suggesting to use .cia files over .3ds. I am wondering why is that?

3DS files are way faster to install and remove. Put the microsd into the reader and move files.
    CIA files are a pain. First you have to copy the file (and in the case of the New 3DS it's a bit of a pain). Then you have to install them.. and I had no idea it took so damn long. Also.. when you want to remove them.. is there an easier way than using BBM? As you can't see the name of the game but just the ID string and the size, so even removing the games looks like a pain.

Yes, when playing .cia files you can remove the gateway cart.. but what's the advantage of that really?

So, am I missing something or are 3DS files actually more convenient to use?

Thanks.

2. 1,636
    Ronhero

Ronhero Loyal Member

All a matter of personal preference. I usually reserve cia for things like dev menu, sdf and dsi ware (on a cfw)

It is nice to have cia if say you have a 64gb card in both gw and the 3ds and want basically ever game

3. 43
    Tonyx

Tonyx Loyal Member

Thanks for your answer.

What's sdf?

Are save games transferrable between .3ds and .cia? Meaning, can I play a game in .cia and then continue with a .3ds (or vice versa)?

4. 1,636
    Ronhero

Ronhero Loyal Member

Yes thats what sdf is; stands for savedatafiler. Allows you to decrypt and transfer saves between regions and extensions

GyroDragona and Tonyx like this.
  5. 43
    Tonyx

Tonyx Loyal Member

Thanks a lot.
    Can't find the thread (not even sure if was here) but I think I read that the Red Card tends to overheat so some advised to use .CIAs games for longer sessions.

I am not sure that's true, anyway. Can anyone confirm/deny, please?

6. 1,636
    Ronhero

Ronhero Loyal Member

I for one use the shit out of my red card. Yeah it might suck up a small amount of battery compared to a cia without a cart mounted but it's hardly a deal breaker

7. 908
    guymelef

guymelef Loyal Member

I have problems with my Red GW cart. For button mashers like SSB I tend to twist the console a little and then it thinks the game was ejected. Even worse, twice this has happened and my game save completely disappeared. Like I had to start all over disappear. So for SSB I started using a CIA.

8. 1,642
    makikatze

makikatze Gateway Kitty [MOD] Loyal Member

A free cat
    Yes, if you go to sleep mode while playing a rom from the Gateway red card, it can, depending on the complexity of the game and its current game state, become warmer. It won't get this hot, so it destroys itself (that shouldn't be possible with current games at least, let's see what happens with Xenoblade for example, the first N3DS only game we will get soon), but it can become so warm that your game freezes when waking up from sleep mode again.

This is because the internal processor (FPGA) of the Gateway red card does not sleep only because the 3DS console goes to sleep mode. For CIA installed games, the red card does not have to do anything and you can also put it out while playing installed games if you want to be completely sure.

Tonyx likes this.
  9. 39
    cfoordddd

cfoordddd Loyal Member

can you help me? everytime i transfer my save of Smash Bros 4 from .3ds/.3dz to .cia it keeps telling me that its not the latest version and asks me to make a new save. but when i transfer .cia to .3ds/.3dz it works fine. any ideas? i want to use cia as much as i can cause my gw card only has the 4gb space.

10. 43
    Tonyx

Tonyx Loyal Member

So this means that while I play with CIA games I should take the red card out? Especially if I put the console to sleep.
    Good to know.

11. 43
    Tonyx

Tonyx Loyal Member

Another question, if I may.

Is there an easy way to tell which ID is which game, in BigBlueMenu, so I can remove just a single game? Or do I have to guess based on file size?

12. 19
    RainThunder

RainThunder Loyal Member

Just go to 3ds.essh.co to search for specific game / ID.

Tonyx likes this.
  13. 62
    GeBeCluck23

GeBeCluck23 Loyal Member

A while ago, I wanted to transfer my save file from a retail cart to a .CIA file. I eventually found a guide on GBATemp.net describing how it could be done. I know this isn't exactly the same thing, but the guide also describes how to transfer saves from .3ds/.3dz to .cia, and vise versa. Hopefully it can help.
    Here it is:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-export-import-gateway-card1-sav-to-eshop-3ds-3dz-with-savedatafiler.380246/

(P.S.
    On the guide, when he's referring to "eShop" saves, he's really saying .cia saves. They're basically the same thing.)

14. 39
    cfoordddd

cfoordddd Loyal Member

thanks, will try it. Also is CFW the same as being in gateway mode emunand?

*nvm had a researched about it and it's not, also can't be done with N3DS :(

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
  15. 1,080
    Davhuit

Davhuit Loyal Member

It's not that long to install. I installed like ~40 games during one evening (which was like 25-27 GB of data), so something like 5-6 hours if I remember correctly.

When you want to remove them, with emunand unlinked, BBM isn't required, just delete them like a legit eshop game, through data management ;) (same for the save, if it's just to backup it, you can do like a real eshop game).

Cia seems safer with online, we didn't see bans yet with them, but we saw some people banned with the 3DS files (and one seemed to be banned with a private header but we might never have the confirmation, but as cia games don't use any header, seems safer).

Cia spare your battery a bit, as the red card drain the battery faster, cia drain the battery like real eshop games. This is why it's an advantage to be able to remove the red card as it drains the battery even if you don't use it.

Cia can be useful if you have two 3DS and only one gateway. My brother use my gateway on his 3DS with 3DS files and I use cia files, so I just have to boot the 3DS then I can give him the red card.

Those are basically the advantages of .cia files.

Avantages of .3DS files are pretty limited, the only one I see is that it doesn't require any installation,but shouldn't stop people to use it if they have satisfaction with .3DS files.

I was using the red card but got the Sky3DS for a while, then gave it to a friend and thought it might be cool to recycle the 32 GB Micro-SD card on my N3DS and that's how I started to use .cia files.

16. 243
    Smoker1

Smoker1 Loyal Member

From what I read, it seems like CIAs Installed to the System Card work better and have more Permissions. For example, those using BlargSnes, CIA has Sound, works slightly Faster, you can put the 3DS in Sleep Mode with no problem, and have access to the Home Button. Not to mention, everything is on the System Home Menu so you dont need to scroll through the GW Card to find a Game.

Tonyx likes this.
  17. 1,080
    Davhuit

Davhuit Loyal Member

Yeah, CIA also give more possibilities with homebrew, as you said (sound for example).

18. 43
    Tonyx

Tonyx Loyal Member

Ok so CIA is for homebrew.
    For the rest it's just a matter of preference. Got that!

Thank you all.