hit tracker

Alienware discusses why PCs are better than consoles, diss Xbox LIVE

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Mar 23, 2011.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 218
    JBSleek

JBSleek Loyal Member

PC is graphically better correct.

But from a business standpoint why not develop for consoles and make more money. This is a business first.

This PC vs Console 360 vs PS3 crap is old.

Play a game and have fun.

3. 241
    knarlockk

knarlockk Loyal Member

Amen, XBox Live is LOL. I can't believe people actually pay to play online...

4. 218
    JBSleek

JBSleek Loyal Member

I can't believe people pay $2000 just to play a game.

Goes both ways I suppose

5. 13,435
    billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    thats a fair point i'd bet that a 360 + live for the whole generation would cost less than an alienware pc bought at the same time

6. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

So reading between the lines, this is a

"We make PC's, consoles and online gaming on consoles is eating into our potential market, so we are going to tell you consoles are not as good as PC's and the most succesfull online console service is rubbish. lets face it we aren't going to tell you otherwise or else risk loosing potential sales" :rolleyes:

7. 241
    knarlockk

knarlockk Loyal Member

I'm game mostly on consoles, for the convenience, but I'm not gonna lie to myself and say that it's superior to pc gaming.

8. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
    WINNING!

i LOL'd at the above posts though. xbl would never cost near what an alienware PC would cost, especially when you get the good deals on it :)

9. 156
    CalaMocha

CalaMocha Loyal Member

Studding
    Well a alienware branded pc's are EXTREMELY overprized, if you build youre own rig you will get away with a lot less and considder that you use yore computer about 1-2-3 hours a day i considder it being a pritty good investment and you can upgrade it to when it starts to slack after performance wise.... And best of all no xbox live fees...

10. 16
    trunten

trunten Loyal Member

For me, the joy of console gaming was the ease of use. Games started instantly, no need to install, no driver updates etc etc. So this current crop of consoles has pretty much made me move to portables and my pc.

11. 814
    dwrecording

dwrecording Loyal Member

That about says it all for me. PC gaming is just a huge pain in the ass.

12. 2,358
    QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

I love the PC, so versatile and mostly unhindered (apparently DirectX is a hindrance). Consoles are fun too, but if I had to choose one or the other, I'd definitely go for the PC.

13. 0
    ando2k5

ando2k5 Guest

even for the legit gamer it is

10-30 minute installs your graphics is out of date within..........minutes of it arriving at your door.

pc component prices fluxuating, remember last year the price of ddr2 and ddr3, go buy a set of 4gb back then talking in excess of £100 now you can get them half the price of that

pc gaming may offer superior graphics but the price tag is a hell of a lot more

14. 329
    jbondsr

jbondsr Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    I've been thinking that way more and more these days.
    Why not go for a nice-spec PC?

Home consoles have been becoming more an more like PCs with each generation.
    We've got disc drives, Hard drives, usb ports, more RAM, higher clocked processors, high speed internet access, web browsers, etc.
    And with it comes the same issues we get with PCs: Game install times, updates for bug fixes, Hard drives filling up, system crashes, etc.
    Not to mention, games seem to be a bit less of the main focus of consoles, with manufacturers looking to add features like Netflix and Facebook.

And while PCs are expensive when compared to gaming consoles, PCs do give you a lot more freedom. (DRM'd software excluded.) The price to buy or even build your own gaming PC has been coming down, while initial game console prices have been steadily increasing.

In fact, since more and more laptops have been coming with ExpressCard slots, I went out and built my own external graphics card unit.

On a different note, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft had a plan to slowly integrate their own line of PCs under the guise of the Xbox brand.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011
  15. 690
    Mchief298

Mchief298 Loyal Member

inb4keyboardisbetterthancontroller

Console Gaming > PC Gaming. It is my opinion, and others share the same view. The other way is simply not fact.

16. 317
    CannonFodder

CannonFodder Loyal Member

A good PC for gaming don't cost you $2000, more like $1200-$1500 including monitor. You can do alot more with the PC then just gaming where as a console you cant. Alot of people seemm to forget that you'll need a tv to go with the console which can cost heaps more then a PC.

Xbox Live will cost you anywhere between $70 to $110 depending on which country you live. In five years this will cost you around $350 to $550 almost twice the cost of a new console. You may also need to purchase additional peripherals for your console which can add an extra $400 on top of the console.Also PCs dont tend to break down as often as the xbox 360 which can add to the cost for repair (if not under warranty). So you can see the console can be quite an expensive device.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2011
  17. 5
    fragaroc

fragaroc Loyal Member

Replies to this new article are dishonest.

You can spend £500 (more than a console, yes) on a new computer that will continue to play games on high settings for a few years. Not only this, but you also have a computer which I'm sure you would use to browse the internet etc. anyway.

It is wrong to suggest that one needs to upgrade their graphics card regularly. This is just stupid and for people who *need* to have the latest and greatest.

Updating drivers is a non-issue too. I very, very rarely need to update my drivers and if I do, it's a 2 minute process, no worse than a console needing to download an update to play X game.

I have not said that PC gaming is better than console gaming or vice versa. That's a stupid thing to say and each has their own benefits, such as PC for RTS/FPS, console for GTA/MGS style games and fighters, among other things.

There's a lot of bullshit replies in this thread, people too eager to jump on band wagons.

18. 605
    Tempos

Tempos Loyal Member

PC gaming does not have to be expensive. Your graphics card will not be out of date within minutes or months forcing you to require a new one. The increase in price of old technology (i.e. DDR2 should not be a factor) as it's best to but what you require the first time and not think about upgrading later (a choice which console gamers do not have anyway).

An affordable PC (just 1/3 of the price of a MacBook Pro) will easily last for five years and run all games released within that timeline. It may be 2/3x the cost of a console but a PC is so much more, surely people realise that.

PC gaming is only expensive if people constantly buy the latest hardware, but it is not essential. The majority of console games run at less than 720p and often without a decent amount of anti-aliasing. A mid-range PC will easily play games at 1280x720 (higher than the majority of console games) with 2x or no anti-aliasing with high/medium effects over a five year life-cycle.

For £600 a good specification computer could be built which would take care of all media centre, office productivity, web browsing and general needs. Furthermore it will play games well. Computing becomes more affordable every few months. Sure £600 will not get you a Sandybridge i7 and the newest AMD/Nvidia GPU but most people do not need these components. Even a dual-core i3 is overkill for most peoples needs.

19. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
    why console gaming? because consoles is where the gaming is at. PC gaming is for lone playing. your friend cant come over and plug in his keyboard and mouse and game on the same screen. almost everyone owns a tv nowadays so buying a console isnt going to be expensive.

addons for consoles? what addons?

standard platform... sure a pc may last you 5 years of gaming. but after 1 year (not even) some other PC gamer just invested $500 into a new GFX card and now has a competitive edge over you for online gaming.

the arguement of PC gaming versus console gaming is pretty much pointless. theres always going to be one arguement against the other. people game on consoles because its convenient and easy. people game on pc because they are graphic whores and probably complain about using a controller.

20. 47
    EnglishRob

EnglishRob Loyal Member

What is this 1982?

Reminds me of the excuses kids used in the 80's on their parents... buy me a computer (C64, Spectrum, Apple II, whatever) so I can do my school work on it... but what they really meant was "I want to play games".

In a way I can see his point, I used to play lots of games on the PC but I really moved to consoles a long time ago as I was fed up forking out hundreds for upgrades, I just can't justify that expense now with a family to support. Having a console means that I only have to pay out every couple of years for hardware and still get a reasonable (for me anyway) selection of games.

Rob