hit tracker

Analyst: Marketing is to blame for PS3's failure not price

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 17, 2009.

By Zeus on Nov 17, 2009 at 1:25 PM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    Eedar's Jesse Divinch has cited marketing as the reason for the poor sales of the PS3. He noted that it's not the high price point, rather Sony's lack of marketing skills and poor judgement in adverts which proved to be a crucial stumbling block in the progress of the system.

<blockquote>According research firm EEDAR's Jesse Divnich the poor sales of the PS3 back at its launch should not be attributed to its high price point, but the bad marketing support for the console.

"There are times when marketing fails, you can spend so much money but it doesn't matter. Sony spent $150 million globally on the launch of the PlayStation 3," said Divnich at the Montreal International Game Summit.

Divnich then showed the audience the PlayStation 3 baby commercial.

"They honestly thought they could release any type of commercial and it would sell. It truly is a WTF moment in marketing history. It creeped people out. Sony got complacent, they were on top of the world and they thought they could say 'here's the PS3 go out and buy it'."</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.videogamer.com/news/marketing_to_blame_for_ps3s_failure.html" target="_blank">VG</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 17, 2009.

1. 323
      richbambam360

richbambam360 Loyal Member

Postie

well when they 1st launched the PS3 was a expensive machine & if is why I was put of the machine ( & the really the lack of games too) especially compared to the Xbox360 at the time at that time you could purchase a xbox360 & a wii for about the same price as a PS3 I think this bought the expression wii360,
      But nowadyas its totaly different the price of a Xbox360 super elite is pretty much the same as a 250gb PS3 slim & the PS3 doesnt need the extra wireless adapter & the yearly subscription to play online games,its really a no brainer for the consumer which one to buy nowadays

2. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

Well I think price had the biggest impact, but their God awful marketing sure didn't help things any. On another note, ps3 failure??? and here I thought it had just started to do ok. Well I'm finally making time to play mine, so I'm happy despite what they call it.

3. 323
      richbambam360

richbambam360 Loyal Member

Postie
      my thoughts too,you read reports all over that every month now the PS3 is selling more consoles than xbox360 so if PS3 has failed then too has MS xbox360,Although you sometimes have to question what these analysts definaition of failure actually is

4. 2,358
      QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

There better be some sort of hypnotizing mechanism built into those TV advertisements if they want to get people to buy a $599 console.

5. 3,209
      Trashcat

Trashcat Loyal Member

I sure would like to hear what marketing could have said to convince normal people to buy a 600$ brick without any games at launch. I would have bought one only if they said 200$ off.

6. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      Thats garbage...I dont know a single person who have said they wouldnt buy a PS3 because their commercials were weird...It didnt stop me...everyone I know that wanted one planned to buy but were not going to do it until the price was within their budget.

7. 141
      Shadow_Satey

Shadow_Satey Loyal Member

to blame for PS3's failure..

The PS3 was a failure?

News to me.

8. 3,798
      iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
      uhm.. maybe now the marketing is to blame. it sure as **** wasnt from day 1. it doesnt matter how much you market something. if it has nothing to make the price tag worth it then it will not sell.

still the biggest problem with ps3 is the bluray. the bluray drive has added absolutely nothing to the ps3 aside from being a multipurpose machine that is no longer needed due to major price cuts on standalones as well as an inflator to the price tag. if sony just tossed in a dvdrom they coulda sold it for much less and made a bigger hit in the market from day 1.

9. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

As they say hindsight is 20/20.

I was/am all for BD, but the honest truth is that I still haven't seen a valid excuse for BD gaming wise aside from not having to swap discs.... but if I could have saved $100 - $150 I would have been totally ok with going through the grief of getting my ass up from the couch.... walk all the way to the tv.... injure my back lifting up the discs.... and finally swapping them.

10. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      if this site had mod points, I'd give you some...thats my biggest beef...imho Bluray hurt the Playstation brand more than help. Its initial delay was due to the shortage or diodes, the launch price was cost prohibitive for most and HD just hadnt made enough penetration for most to take advantage of it, now that there are a decent amount of HD owners the price on players has dropped so much that its no longer anywhere close to the "cheapest" bluray player. I would have rather had mine a year earlier at a cheaper price and swapped disks as well.

11. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

The part that worries me is what lesson did sony learn from this little ordeal? true enough the ps3 started off really bad, but there's not much arguing that the ps3 helped BD win, which as we all (most of us anyways) assume was sony's primary purpose, and to make matters worst they started doing better now, so they might think it will be worth it to pull another one of these stunts later on.

I for one waited 'til MGS4 release to get my ps3, only because I told myself I wasn't going to jump on any console at launch, but next time around I will be waiting even more to get whatever console/s I'll get. Besides, after all this time having the console and I only beat MGS4 last week.

12. 2,115
      dsav

dsav Loyal Member

^damn your slow lol.

anyways i beat it recently too, cutscenes were waay too long.

best thing about it were the visuals and the story i guess, other than that nothing too great, but i'm actually looking foward to rising since mgs2 was probably my fav game in the series.

but a combination of price + blu ray + crap marketing hurt ps3 at first.

nuff said.

13. 382
      taiki

taiki Loyal Member

If the PS3 "failed" then it wasn't necessarily the PS3's fault. The 360 "won" because of Halo and Gears of War, which made the console sell like hotcakes.

14. 2,358
      QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

Actually the freaky commercials did contribute to my withholding my purchase until a later date. I got the impression that I would be on LSD like the PS3 marketing team if I bought a PS3 when they showed me those commercials.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
    15. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

I just didn't play it much, but I am "meticulous" when playing mgs games, so I check every corner, and I try my best to play the games as they are meant, so no running around guns blazing, in other words it does take me a few hours to beat. As long as they were the cutscenes didn't bother me, then again that doesn't surprise me at all.

16. 521
      croatoan

croatoan Loyal Member

I cant really see this is actually a valid point.

The ps3 cost £400 on release the most expensive console I can remember. So this is not a factor lmao.

To deem it a failure at this stage of the race is quite daft as it seem to be outselling the 360 at present.

It has also sold more consoles since launch that the 360. By this I mean from launch date all being equal the ps3 would actually be in front. Worthless in terms of who's winning but does show that a failure it certainly wasnt.

Sony's early mistakes put off third party game developers as the late launch and price versus the 360 did nothing to assure them that throwing millions of dollars at game development.........................would actually bring back high returns in game sales.

Marketing in my view was never an issue. Launch price and over confidence on Sony's part were the reasons for the slow take off.

The slim and new price point, just shows that at the right price it can give the 360 a run for its money.

A few more good exclusives like uncharted 2 and I can see the 360 unseated within 12 months......................the real winner will always be the Wii.

Nintendo completely out foxxed everyone this time round. But having said that, I beleive it has actually grown the market.

How many people do you know that has a Wii and either a ps3 or 360.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
    17. 556
      Z3R0B4NG

Z3R0B4NG Loyal Member

It was expensive but if it had some better exclusive Games, a better Controller it would have sold better, well just my opinion but still no GT5? and a lot of games that formerly were exclusive to Sony are now at least multiplatform, if not MS exclusive.

I know a guy who was like "i never buy a f***in MS console" bought a PS3... (he had PS1 and 2 before) played 2 or 3 Games MAX, then bought a Xbox 360 a year later and was pissed at Sony for not delivering any GAMES.

You can say what you want but those 5 exclusive Games they have now still dont justify a PS3 for ME, MAYBE when GT5 comes i'll get one but before that.

On the other Hand MS is starting to suck with all those Guitar Hero and LIPS crap and dont have any GOOD exclusives anymore either, but well i got one now and think it was worth it.

PC still pwns all Consoles and is much more expensive (but worth it!).

18. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

makes me wonder how these people stay in business. The price was clearly the defining factor, the PS brand was a runaway juggernaut, if it had been reasonable priced, it would have no doubt steam rolled it's way to pole position or at least in to second place. It's a no brainer that a console and 3 or 4 games at least v a console with one game out of a far more limited selection of lower quality games (at the time), for the same price, the cheaper console with more games fromt he get go was going to be more attractive.

Sony knew this at the start, thats why big Ken "retired" to become a consultant. They knew he had screwed the cash cow with the OTT priced machine, but to out and out fire him was going to be an admitance of fault and so would harm share prices.

All that said, thats int he past, blu-ray is no longer a big deal, the games are as good on both formats and the PS3 is curretntly reaping the rewards of a lower price that many of those that have wanted a PS3 can now afford, they just need to keep it going as the affectis starting to wear off it seems.

On a side note, get thee all to the gaming emporium and pick up a PS3, just started on the God of War 3 demo, it's the mutts nuts, once you gut your first centaur there is no looking back. I thought Uncharted 2 was good (finnished it last night and it's what the disappointign original claimed to be and more:) ), this wipes the floor with it for me :D

19. 511
      n0rthstar

n0rthstar Loyal Member

Was and still is about price for me, and also the slow clunky BR disks for games puts me off a little.

I still havent moved up to BR, and im considering alternatives to the ps3 when i eventually do, but i just dont see what they have that the 360 doesnt, they both play pretty much the same games, bar a few exclusives im not interested in. Buying a proper bluray player thats almost a 3rd of the price of a ps3 just seems a better option at this point.