hit tracker

Analyst: Marketing is to blame for PS3's failure not price

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 17, 2009.

By Zeus on Nov 17, 2009 at 1:25 PM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    Eedar's Jesse Divinch has cited marketing as the reason for the poor sales of the PS3. He noted that it's not the high price point, rather Sony's lack of marketing skills and poor judgement in adverts which proved to be a crucial stumbling block in the progress of the system.

<blockquote>According research firm EEDAR's Jesse Divnich the poor sales of the PS3 back at its launch should not be attributed to its high price point, but the bad marketing support for the console.

"There are times when marketing fails, you can spend so much money but it doesn't matter. Sony spent $150 million globally on the launch of the PlayStation 3," said Divnich at the Montreal International Game Summit.

Divnich then showed the audience the PlayStation 3 baby commercial.

"They honestly thought they could release any type of commercial and it would sell. It truly is a WTF moment in marketing history. It creeped people out. Sony got complacent, they were on top of the world and they thought they could say 'here's the PS3 go out and buy it'."</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.videogamer.com/news/marketing_to_blame_for_ps3s_failure.html" target="_blank">VG</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'PlayStation Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 17, 2009.

1. 2,115
      dsav

dsav Loyal Member

what makes standalone BR players so much better than ps3 ? faster read rate ?

what else ? does it really make that much of a difference ?

i don't even have any blu ray movies lol.

ps3 might not be the best BR player, but with it you have another gaming system aswell, all for 300 now, but i prefer the shiny phat.

@sanchez, did u enjoy mgs4 ? you didn't say, just wondering. lol.

i did for the most part, u really don't find many games like mgs, then again theres not many people like kojima either.

even though it's still possibly years away, it was great to find out zone of enders 3 will be a reality at some point.

can't wait for that.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2009
    2. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

Oh I loved it, as far as I'm concerned the ending could have been even longer. If I had one gripe with the whole game, was the 1000 plot twists at the end of the game, but all that is overshadowed by the fact that when all is said and done none of the villains in mgs were actually evil, everybody had their reasons for doing the things they did, and even though they knew they would be going to hell they really did think they were helping out.... that was fantasitc. Also for God's sake is there one person in the mgs universe that didn't manipulate Solid Snake?

Personally the next installment can keep the same formula and cutscene to gameplay ratio as far as I'm concerned, the only thing I want is for it to be longer (both in story and in gameplay) since I didn't really want it to end. I felt like when I first played Final Fantasy IV, all I could do was hope that the game wasn't ending and that there was something else to do; it was a bittersweet feeling when I beat that game as well as this one.