hit tracker

Another third-party Switch game causes uproar

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Mar 28, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Mar 28, 2017 at 1:18 PM
  1. 25,373
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    The cart version of Lego City Undercover needs a big install

Lego City Undercover is the next major third-party port heading to Nintendo Switch, but early copies are already turning some console owners off of the game.
    [​IMG]
    Earlier this week, there was alot of uproar over the fact most 'third-party' games on the Switch will be $10 more, even tho they are same as their previous PS3/X360 ports, and now a new uproar over the fact that buy 'Lego City Undercover' in physical form is waste, and it installs the 'cartridge' to your storage eating up 13gb of your tiny stock free 25gb of space, leaving you no choice but to invest in some Micro SDXHC cards right away if you wish to play more Switch games other than just 'Lego City' on your newly bought hybrid system.
    So basically Lego City Undercover Switch cartridge is just a 'tiny physical loader' on chip, and the rest of the game downloads digitally.

NEWS SOURCE: Another third-party Switch game causes uproar (via) PolyGon

Last edited: May 23, 2018

Comments

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Mar 28, 2017.

1. 266
      happydance

happydance Loyal Member

Saw a few PC games doing this, I remember my wife buying Sims 4 and it only has a Origin installer on the disc and a Key. But on PC it somewhat understandable since most people don't yet have a BD-Drive so going digital on big games is like normal.

but if I remember correctly... Zelda Botw is also 13GB right? so it should fit on the cart? or that will cost more and they just use a small memory like on the 1,2 switch?

2. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

It sounds like they're just cheaping out by having a smaller cart, unlike discs, higher capacities require more cost.

On PC though one option would be to use multiple discs, not elegant but it works e.g. GTA V.

3. 25,373
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Yep, basically the cheaped out and used the 1-2 Switch cart the tiny 4gb parallel nand on mounted on a pcboard, that can be loaded up via the 5 wire hardness, it seems most of third-party publishers have been offered this design by big 'N'.

Whereas the Zelda 16gb cartridge is custom MXIC parallel nor with the cartridge pins directly etched onto the bottom of Silicon die, and these are loaded up in masked system, not flashable, so it means you need to do min. production run of 1 million units or more each time, which is not worth it for some third-party publishers.

Hopefully, this does not became the norm, and more decide to spend the bit more for larger cartridges, since the prices for games themselves are not cheap, i see no reason, for this it would be ok if the digital only games were priced alot lower, but well this is 'N' so that not going to happen.

4. 561
      AlbedoAtoned

AlbedoAtoned Loyal Member

All of this was easily foreseeable. Nobody really wanted to believe it though. No matter what anybody told them, they would always spout how cartridges can be made to store so much data, never considering that as the size rises, so does the cost and as the costs rises, devs will want to do other things such as reduce asset quality, cut content, require an install, or outright not put out a physical version for the system. They would rather do these things than increase the cost to publish on the system and everybody that was using the "I'll just buy physical games" as a way to evade the problems they would face buying digital games now has to confront the problems rather than pretend they don't exist. Each time this happens, people will get that much closer to understanding the issues.

5. 25,373
      GaryOPA

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      Personally, I think Nintendo should had tried the 'digital only' work, it seems to work ok for Apple and their iPhones.

And just make the Switch with 128gb and 256gb models, that are expandable.

Sure, PSP-GO the digital only PlayStation didn't work out, but that was long time ago, things have change alot since then.

Of course going 'digital only' should also bring along with it a much lower price point for games, you can't say 'digital only' and then on top charge 'physical game prices' on your eShop either! :)

6. 561
      AlbedoAtoned

AlbedoAtoned Loyal Member

A digital only console could have worked, but they probably would have alienated most of their fanbase. Most PC gamers tend to be digital only gamers. Steam and other PC services have made digital game downloads at least bearable. My internet speed isn't the fastest, but steam can use the full bandwidth to download my pc games fairly fast.

In comparison, consoles still depend a lot on physical games being sold. Many buy physical because they believe that they will always work. In my experience, physical copies tend to wear out even if you take perfect care of them. I lost most of my ps2 games because the ps2 itself would scratch the games. I now play all of my ps2 games either in PCSX2 with the iso's I ripped. Or I install them to a hdd in the ps2. Back on topic, many others buy physical games because they don't have very fast internet available or at all. This isn't aided at all by services like PSN. If I download a game and it takes an hour to download on steam, it would take all day on PSN. A game that downloaded in minutes on steam took over an hour and a half on the PSTV (it was Ys IV btw). The PSTV was even hooked up through ethernet. When you consider how many have these sorts of experiences it makes sense. Many think ALL digital services are that bad. They may not have a fast speed, but digital gaming is still usually a viable way to game provided the service is good. On a fast internet speed, a terrible digital gaming service however can really ruin the image.

I don't have the confidence Nintendo's online would work as well as Steam's. Over the past few years they couldn't even get theirs to work as well as PSN. Now Nintendo wants to charge for online like the rest, despite there being no real evidence that actually improved services. PSN used to be free and now charges and they're no better now than when they were free. And free PSN was miles ahead of where Nintendo is at now.

Ultimately, where I was going was that consoles depend more on physical games. Since the games are more expensive, demand for cheaper prices has created and nurtured a used game market. Digital gaming would ruin that because it would expose the high prices for what they are. On PC, digital works because Valve asks for 30% of the sales. Because of this, the indie game scene has thrived on pc far more than on console.

What would really happen is that prices would stay the same on the Switch. Nintendo's vocabulary only recently added words like sales, and discounts, and honestly they're like a child happy that they just used the toilet rather than shit themselves. They get so proud and excited about their sales that if you're extremely lucky and the stars have aligned correctly, may reach 30%, They know their audience still thinks that a higher price means a better game. But their audience still can wake up from time to time as shown with Super Mario Run. If the games were all digital, Nintendo would still try to sell for the highest they could, a few brown nosers would likely be perfectly fine with such a price, but many would probably be pissed off. That's because of all of the platforms, Nintendo fanboys are the least inviting to digital gaming. Nintendo hasn't helped by putting in ridiculously low amounts of space.

A digital only gaming console could work. While the PSP Go did poorly years ago, the Vita while not technically digital only has essentially become that for many gamers. With no physical product to keep costs high, most localized games are cheaper on the vita. There are some games that get released physically, but most are digital only. If you want a physical cart you have to import the Japanese version. Despite the high costs of the vita memory cards, digital gaming is entirely viable on the vita. I'd have a hard time saying the same about the Switch.

To be fair, that Lego game was also 20GB on the Wii U and was also one of the bigger games on the system. Is the game really that big, or are the assets just really bloated for some reason? Idk, but what I do know is that while a 32 or 64GB memory card on the Vita is a good size, my 32GB card for instance is big enough for most of my games. While 32 is enough for the vita, it's not going to be enough for the Switch. Not even 64 will be enough. As more and more devs use the lower end carts to save on costs, the space will be filled with these installations.

It's kind of funny. Because people were saying how carts were better because with newer consoles, you install the game from disc, but this is actually worse because the data you installed on the ps4 or xb1 at least came from the disc and not downloaded. You can add this to the list of "what was the point". Everything Nintendo does brings up that question because so much is contradicted by something else they do. Nintendo truly is their own worst enemy.

7. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Update:

http://nintendoeverything.com/warne...switch-cart-has-full-game-no-internet-needed/

Main issue their is the different types of games and the DRM.

Plus Nintendo would be too cheap to increase emmc sizes.