hit tracker

Article: 3DS expected to sell over 5 million units in two years

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, May 23, 2011.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 387
    cafevincent

cafevincent Loyal Member

Can we declare dedicated gaming handhelds dead now?

3. 673
    put4558350

put4558350 Loyal Member

not-likely as DS is still selling well. if 3DS drop price it might just recover.

4. 26,553
    Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

What, what, what...Ds sold that numer in three four months. :confused:

5. 1,044
    mattias800

mattias800 Loyal Member

Those are not good numbers.

The price might be a factor. A price drop will tell, but I'd guess the competition is just a little too hard now with Android and iPhone. And people might not be as willing to have dedicated hardware, just like they threw out the MP3 players.

It is a problem that is easy to describe in general, but hard in detail, at least in my opinion. And the answer is beyond me.

Maybe Nintendo should move over to Android with it's own hardware and distribution platform based on that OS, and with physical buttons like the Experia Play. I know I'd buy a phone that played Nintendo games :)

And heck, maybe the next console (Wii 2 or whatever it will be called) should run Android as well. Use universal binary, buy a game once, play it on both machines. Cloud storage for save games. Heh, I think Sony should do that as well, but I'm just dreaming :)

6. 92
    VampiricDragon_

VampiricDragon_ Loyal Member

nintendo shipped 5 million ds's in 6 months worldwide..............

The 3ds has shipped 3.61 million in 1 month worldwide................

They are talking about shipping 5 million in just japan alone in 2 years. Thats unbelievable.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2011
  7. 92
    VampiricDragon_

How is that dead? Thats only counting japan............

They estimate the 3ds to be the top selling system in japan

8. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

Id say price is a prob
    game out now is a big prob
    then throw in japan is in a recession now.

I know people who own ds and play them daily and are not impressed with 3-ds. Mainly because they dont see the price being justified and lack of games vs reg ds.

Now with news nintendo owns your personal data... things like that could turn off parents.

But with wii 2 coming, ngp coming this year.... id imagine sales are gonna be tough. But then again kinect sold a ass load and its just a addon. 5 mill in 2 years doesnt sound promising. In 2 years id expect a new model revision.

9. 92
    VampiricDragon_

Those are insane numbers.

The ds didnt sell that many in 2 years.....................

They estimate the 3ds to be the top selling unit

10. 92
    VampiricDragon_

5 million in 2 years in japan alone is pretty damn fantastic. You all didnt even read the article.

This is all about japan only.............

They are predicting the 3ds to be the top seller in japan

11. 92
    VampiricDragon_

Are you guys embarrassed?

You guysdidnt even read the article. And if you had any knowledge about Enterbain. They just publish japanese only numbers.

Right now the 3ds has sold 3.61 million worldwide in 1 month according to nintendo.

2011: 2,868,000, 2012: 2,475,000 is just japan only....................

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2011
  12. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

3.61 mill in 1 month. now subtract 3.61 from 5 and that number is for 24 months of sales.
    Doesnt that sound a little off? Yes sales now are awesome. But it seems like a low forcast for the next 24 months.

Really look at psp`s numbers... 3ds should kill psp.

Sorry though i dont keep track of enterbain anyways. Its japan, like i doubt they care about ndp numbers.

13. 92
    VampiricDragon_

Its not a low forcast for japan only. Thats extremely high. They predict the 3ds to be the top selling unit in japan for 2011 and 2012.

Why should the 3ds kill the psp? Because the psp is over 100 dollars cheaper? The gba was outselling the ds and psp by a far bigger margin for those first 2 years

14. 1,044
    mattias800

mattias800 Loyal Member

Oups, sorry! You are right, I just assumed they meant the whole world. Shouldn't make assumptions :)
    It was fun to think about possible solutions though :)

15. 92
    VampiricDragon_

5 million worldwide in 2 year would suck...............

nintendo is estimating 10+ million sold worldwide in 1 year

16. 1,044
    mattias800

mattias800 Loyal Member

10 m is what I would argue is a good number for the 3DS, but I'm not sure I agree with that analysis :)

17. 92
    VampiricDragon_

The point is people should of taken a closer look at who was giving numbers..........

18. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

Maybe you should!
    my point is look at reg ds over the years! then look at what ds sold this year and what 3ds sold. just go look at each year the ds has sold, then tell me again why this 3ds sales are extremely high?
    If im reading the chart right the reg ds has never sold (except this year because 3ds came out) as low a amount as the predict the 3ds to sale next year.

19. 92
    VampiricDragon_

the ds original sold alot worse its first 2 years than what they are projecting for the 3ds..............

either way the fact that they are projecting the 3ds to be the highest selling system is very very encouraging.

Because likely the way I see it when the ngp comes out the 3ds will jump to number one because likely it will be the cheapest.

20. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

even better proof this is a low ball number... the 2012 projected sales is in the range of psp yearly sales. That alone shows its LOW!

Why would they predict a DS model would not live up to its form DS yealry sales. Its freaking Japan, they love nintendo and DS. If i was asked i would have guessed higher than them.