hit tracker

Article: Alan Wake only sells 145k in first month

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Vyse, Jul 11, 2010.

1. 35
    Vyse

Vyse Loyal Member

2. 3,209
    Trashcat

Trashcat Loyal Member

Who cares about sales when Ms is paying.

3. 67
    neoryu

neoryu Loyal Member

The companies care... if a game doesn't sell well making a sequel doesn't look clever.
    Also they could start balance if Ms money > multiplatform sales.

4. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Release the PC version. The problem here is that its new IP also the action horror genre is fairly small. I don't doubt the time is an issue either it would of been better to have it ready years back.

If something like this is announced as an early game/tech demo get it out while its fresh in peoples minds. Not bought it yet but i might in the future.

5. 199
    twoboys

twoboys Loyal Member

Well I enjoyed Alan Wake. Yeah it was a bit short and a bit repetetive but it played well and the graphics were as good (IMHO) as anything I've seen to date on the 360 in some parts of the game. It also set itself up for further installments, without giving too much away if you haven't played it yet.

I for one would love to see a sequel or indeed the next episode; it's a real shame that low sales might mean that it never happens.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2010
  6. 31
    KlyNeR

KlyNeR Loyal Member

Alan Wake ist really boring...
    I loved Max Payne 1 and 2 but Remedy really messed up Alan Wake.

7. 608
    Khameleon

Khameleon Loyal Member

But it's not a lake....

8. 1,132
    crono

crono Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    I sont know where you get your info but the total sales from alan wake(all regions) are 543,128 copies sold. I think its not bad at all.

( for all disbelievers http://www.vgchartz.com/game.php?id=13817 )

9. 456
    Nomad121

Nomad121 Loyal Member

Yeah I'd say thats the major reason for such poor sales, throughout the game the only thing you do is kill enemies with the same old method. They only vary it by spamming really cheap flying objects at you or spawn more enemies at weird location. A lot of the dialogue and plot elements were also really awkward.

At most this game was average at best.

10. 5,605
    Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    Alan Wake and Heavy Rain was released too late, because people got tired of waiting, and the expected the games to be even better.

Never use 5 year on a game if you cant live up the hype. ;)

I bought Heavy Rain, but have barely played it.. Alan Wake.. i may pick it up in bargain bin.

11. 501
    Ligerbomb

Ligerbomb Loyal Member

Alan Wake is a great game ................... but seems like it's not the masses taste or most of them just never heard of it

happened million times before:
    Ico (PS2), Shadowrun (SNES), MadWorld (Wii), Crusader of Centy / Soleil (GEN/MD), Little King's Story (Wii), ...

12. 313
    DunnyUK

DunnyUK Loyal Member

Shame, Alan Wake was a great game.

13. 13,435
    billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com

i've played all of those except one and agree with all of them so now i'm going to have to buy little kings story because if its anything like as good as the others you listed i'll be happy.

14. 35
    Vyse

Vyse Loyal Member

The 145k was the official numbers from the NPD. I don't know how accurate VG Chartz is, but to sell that few copies in one territory, not to mention the price of localizing for Europe and Asia, plus marketing, etc. It doesn't bode well for a game that's been in development for six years (let alone how much it cost to pay all those working on it for that time).

Alan Wake is a fine game, but I'm sure Remedy wishes it would have been a bigger initial hit like Max Payne.

15. 3,170
    kcvfr400

kcvfr400 Loyal Member

Its a shame but you could see the writing n the wall as it has been discounted rapidly not long after release. Its good but not great but deserves better sales anyway.

16. 556
    Z3R0B4NG

Z3R0B4NG Loyal Member

I almost bought it but lost intrest as the DLC Episodes were announced...
    I'm waiting for a game of the year edition... or Gold or Complete edition or whatever.

I am sick of Episodic Content and Cliffhangers...

17. 2,651
    kneehighspy

kneehighspy Loyal Member

Early Retirement, Relaxation
    i'm enjoying the game myself, i've yet to finish it but what i've played so far has been enjoyable. i do admit some of the game gets redundant, but it's still enjoyable. i was the same with heavy rain, but i sat down a few nights and finished it and it turned out to be a very good game, redundant in some areas, but definitely worth purchase. too bad the dlc for heavy rain is being put off due to move implementation, i was looking forward to the dlc.

18. 185
    WhyKlef

WhyKlef Loyal Member

I played til chapter 3 which was so far so good. I don't know yet if I will finish it, haven't played for about 3 weeks but one thing's for sure, they should've released it on the PC.

Throughout it's development, it was targeted more towards PC audience and it all suddenly shifted and went 360 exclusive and I definitely think that was a bad move. Through services like Steam, the game would've done great and especially with a reduction during the Summer Sales that was just amazing...

19. 2,115
    dsav

dsav Loyal Member

same here, i'm getting sick an tired of all the dlc bs devs are pulling this gen, just to squeeze every last penny they can.

AW was good enough, nothing great but worth a playthrough for sure, too bad they only sold us half the game, the rest will be dlc.

20. 0
    carnby24

carnby24 Guest

6 Years???? I played it, really ...6 years should have given better gameplay and non repeating enemies.....lazy effort i guess...