hit tracker

Article: Angry Birds creator attacks Nintendo over $49 'pieces of Plastic'

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Mar 31, 2011.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 13,435
    billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    hmm, a piece of plastic containing a good playable 3d game or a ultra cheap digital minigame with no value whatsoever that would be nothing more than a single part of a large selection of minigames on any mid range wii shovelware title, let me think.....

no, i'll take the physical game thank you

3. 69
    Nekojin

Nekojin Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    Nintendo 3DS games cost 44,99 euro, thats 64 US Dollars.

I prefer to pay 64 Dollars for a good quality game like Pilotwings Resort rather than 2 bucks for a shitty addicting game like angry birds.

4. 27
    apan_bajs

apan_bajs Loyal Member

All the people I know who plays Angry Bird are none gamers.
    And my two year old daughter is a big fan of Angry Birds as well :p

...enuff said

5. 605
    Tempos

Tempos Loyal Member

People defending Nintendo's pricing for the 3DS are insane. The games cost the same as a 360 game.

6. 437
    Cloudkill

Cloudkill Loyal Member

ITC techy
    I've never seen the latest and greatest Xbox 360 game to come out for £29.99 rather pay that than £1-6 for a crappy converted flash game.

7. 467
    chrisprocter01

chrisprocter01 Loyal Member

Engineer
    Tempos he's attacking all games not just nintendo,

if all games cost the same as angry birds they would also need the same development costs and content that is associated with rehashing a catapult flash game

can you imagine Halo 4 with 1 level that lasts 5 min and has the same graphics as dead space on the iphone(GC/xbox 1 graphics)

the guy is a jumped up idiot

8. 605
    Tempos

Tempos Loyal Member

chris, I hadn't read the article and missed the real meaning behind the article, sorry.

As for my statement about game prices and the 3DS, I stand behind it. 3DS games are retailing for £34.99 - you can very easily get the latest 360 games for this price (excluding Call of Duties). There's no way the development cost of a 3DS game is anywhere near that of a 360 game. Quite simply, 3DS games are priced far too high for what they are. I would rather get £2 casual titles rather than standard console priced 3DS games. I agree the 3DS titles probably are better, but they're not 17x better. If I'm paying money for a console priced game I want the full experience, not a 'dumbed' (graphically, sound, videos, textures, resolution) down version. And this will always be true. £24.99 is the sweet spot for me.

9. 389
    Cyber Akuma

Cyber Akuma Loyal Member

Geez, the guy manages to make a successful $1 game on a phone platform and suddenly he acts like he is the greatest gaming genius the world has ever seen.

10. 447
    urmaster

urmaster Loyal Member

Cheap doesn't always mean it's good, percieved value will also determine how much one plays a game and how easy it is to resell.

11. 0
    Squirrel61

Squirrel61 Guest

To the people comparing Angry Birds with Nintendo 3DS games:

I own an iPhone and of course I've bought Angry Birds. All three versions.
    I also bought the 3DS on launch day, together with only one game, but I already own a DS Lite for several years.
    And I've spent more hours on Angry Birds than on all DS games combined. The few bucks I've spent on Angry Birds are the best bucks I've ever spent on any game.

The biggest mistake Nintendo has made with the introduction of the 3DS is that they haven't any killer games. The world seems to be waiting for Mario Bros 3D, Mario Kart 3D, Pokemon 3D or even Angry Birds 3D. All of which I expect to appear within a few months, maybe sooner now that the introduction of the 3DS is not going as expected.

12. 85
    blaydes99

blaydes99 Loyal Member

I feel sorry for you man. For your next birthday, just flush the toilet and reflect on the complete waste your time has been.

13. 26,553
    Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

For sure we never seen angry birds 2 on Nintendo console.:p

14. 2
    slider123456

slider123456 Loyal Member

What I don't get is who figures out the pricing scheme on these games. Who decides to sell a game a $50 figuring there will be a million sales vs selling them for $25 and getting 2 million in sales. Due to the artificial scarcity aspect and what I just wrote I understand this guys point to a degree. It would make sense for these companies to create an algorithm that would continually adjust the price until the sweet spot was found because there has to be one somewhere along the continuum of possible prices and I have a hard time believing they have actually found it as far as most digital content is concerned.

15. 437
    Cloudkill

Cloudkill Loyal Member

ITC techy
    VAT, licences , rnd coders certificates and publishers all drive prices sky high and just for everyones information it can cost nearly as much to develop a game as it does to make a hollywood movie, so the better the graphics on a system gets expect to start paying for it!

16. 2
    slider123456

slider123456 Loyal Member

I am not talking about the cost I am talking about profitability.Here is an article where Gabe Newell of Valve, one of the largest online digital content distributors for video games, says that games are too expensive:

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/valve-are-games-too-expensive

An example comes from a Left 4 Dead promotion that sold the game for half price $25 and steam sales increased 3,000 percent. Profits also went up because of the economies of scale especially when it comes to digital content that does not have necessary inputs for each extra sale, like a car does for example, other than cheap 1 and 0s. My point was that the video game industries pricing scheme does not make alot of sense in the digital world we live in. It made sense before the internet but it does not now due to the internet and cheap hdd storage.

Along the lines of the above article I was just pointing out that it would make more sense to have dynamic pricing schemes that found the sweet spot for game prices that would bring in the most profits which may very well be different for different games even though they are on the same system.