hit tracker

Article: Geohot encourages you to join Sony boycott and return ALL products

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Apr 11, 2011.

1. 135
    Fangrim

Fangrim Loyal Member

LOL... Just LOL...

You say "Screw Sony!" because they want to protect their investment?

Sure - they removed Linux, PS2 compatibility and they are fighting the possibilities of running unsigned code in an endless cat and mouse game.

Seriously though - how many people plays PS2 games anyways these days if they have a PS3? And if you *really* are that much of a gamer, you'll probably have an old PS2 lying about for the odd chance that you'd want to play a PS2 game...

Linux? You bought your PS3 for Linux? Get real! Any laptop can do Linux so much better than the PS3. You want an fully operational Linux on the PS3 with full Cell and GPU access so you can code your own stuff? Yeah right!

You're pissed off because they're fighting your God-given right to play backed up games. I know that not a single one of you condone piracy - the backed up games are of course copies of games you already own (because you don't want to risk scratching your original discs). None of you could ever dream of wanting a cracked system to play illegal copies.

Oh - I forgot homebrew... Because that's all you want a cracked PS3 system for, right? To play old SNES games on emulators? To code something for the PS3 (which more or less amounts to a "Hello World!" for 99.9% of the would-be coders in here)...

You say Sony take a crap on their consumers, while happily eating away at the immense turds served daily by other corporations like Microsoft, Nokia, Nintendo, and Apple?

Pathetic!

2. 218
    JBSleek

JBSleek Loyal Member

Finally logic!

3. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
    in reality, sonys consoles are the only product that you should really have any reason to buy. some things to note:
    their tvs are more expensive and lower quality compared to some counterparts.
    their portable devices are more expensive and lower quality compared to some counterparts.
    their home audio devices are more expensive and lower quality compared to some counterparts.
    their car audio devices are more expensive and way lower quality compared to some counterparts.
    their home video devices are more expensive and lower quality compared to some counterparts.

see a trend here? this isnt the 80s anymore. sony does not mean its a quality product, but the price seems to reflect that. for the most part, unless you want to convert ac to dc back to ac to dc and back again and pay for it, there's no need to buy a sony product. you can get the same or better quality from other manufacturers nowadays. sony is just riding on the name recognition from 20 years ago.

there are some products of sony i probably cant avoid (atleast this gen in gaming) but next gen is a whole new ballgame. quite honestly, this is a little late. if you didn't decide to avoid sony products 10 years ago you are late to the game.

4. 608
    Khameleon

Khameleon Loyal Member

No thanks.

5. 123
    patstevens

patstevens Loyal Member

I'm done with sony, use to like the ps3 over xbox but even microsoft wasn't going after people hacking the 360. they did go after poor college students who were modding systems for people though which i still admit was pretty bad rading their house in the middle of the night, etc. if a store is doing this and selling pirated games, then go get them, they get what they deserve, but if someone mods a system for someone else but does not actually give/sell them pirated games, then I see no problem. the person pirating the game is at fault.

6. 2,651
    kneehighspy

kneehighspy Loyal Member

Early Retirement, Relaxation
    i've purchased sony consoles since 1995, if they offer something i want nextgen, then i'll more than likely purchase. i buy consoles for gaming, not name recognition, i'll buy a nextgen xbox in a sec. now nintendo has pretty much left my interest after the wii, more than likely will not buy any more nintendo consoles or handhelds.

7. 3,170
    kcvfr400

kcvfr400 Loyal Member

If I took egohots advice I would be no longer gaming in the current gen or my kids. Like or not Sony offer me better value as a genuine buying gamer than Microsoft and Nintendo is not making games to suit my likes and seldom that interest my kids. When I purchase a console I do not look at a badge I look at exclusives and developers I have enjoyed games from. So thanks but no thanks for the advice as I will stick with my Sony consoles and sony ericsson phone and my one daughters mp3 player (think that covers all my sony products).

The rest of you knock yourself out and enjoy your boycott if it makes you feel better who is to tell you otherwise.:rolleyes:

8. 71
    Infinite_zero

Infinite_zero Loyal Member

Student,Slacker,Legend
    That one place,near the street,and the water....
    Sure I have a ps2 lying around. one thats not hooked up all and in a box in the closet. Its more about ease of use. playing a game on a system that is already hooked up is more appealing to people. The reason people want to play ps2 games is because 90% of ps2 games, even some of the crappy ones,
    are better than most ps3 games.

I agree with a company protecting their investment. Cool do what you want. But when that affect me, their consumer, negatively thats not good. I especially don't agree with them suing seemingly random people in their case against the jailbreak. I really don't care for Geohotz, and I don;t know much about graf but he seems pretty cool,but seriously, they had NADA to do with that dongle which is what started this fiasco. They should have sued themselves since it was THEIR tech that led them to this point, and one of THEIR staff members that leaked it. that would have made absolutely as much sense to me.

I'm not going to disagree on the piracy/homebrew statement that you made. I know I probably would at least try to download a few games if I had a hacked PS3, god knows I did on the wii. that said I don't even play those games for the wii that I DL'd, it was more to see if I could. I'd imagine that a lot of people would pirate, but just look at MS and Nin they fix what they can, try to prevent them from getting online as best they can and go about their day. It would seem that they understand that this stuff happens, and you gotta deal with it. You would think that Sony knows that since the PSP the crap hacked out of it. Or maybe they were just compensating since they EPICALLY FAILED to secure the PSP, Forcing a shoddy Hardware Update out to try and fix it.

9. 218
    JBSleek

JBSleek Loyal Member

Sony keep doing what your doing.
    Block hackers
    Make great games
    Those who support you will continue due to us being gamers. Keep it going. Can't wait till NGP.

10. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

So true...
    I have some psp`s lying around i keep for collection sake. I have a ps2 (probably sonys greatest product ever) but outside that they suck bad and are way over priced.
    It should be obvious even lately sony has to smear competition with bad remarks just to try and make them self look good, because their products cant do it.
    Thans not to mention the nazi company thats a major part of the RIAA and MPAA as well as other nazi type companies. Then there is the hole rootkit crap. It seems to just never end with them. They need a new front office or hire nintendos top guys to run them.

11. 218
    JBSleek

JBSleek Loyal Member

I totally respect your opinion. On the other hand there are people "like myself" who think Sony is doing the right thing as it doesn't phase me on what they are doing.

I do find it dumb and a little ignorant not to play a game system because of the name on the system or boycott a whole company who's contributions have been felt throughout time or just because you don't agree with what it is doing. Sony is doing what is best for it's install base and market holders.

12. 94
    thedove75

thedove75 Loyal Member

highly respect your opnion, but sorry sony products is the best, any company will do the same its business at the end not charity

13. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

from the start sony pushed a irrelevant dvd drive on ps3 users. Making them buy a blu-ray player when it was proven given the choice they probably never would have. Blu-ray was never needed for gaming and was never ment to be a major part of it. The only reason blu-ray got pushed was sony could usher in the new media format. PC users new from the start the GPU and crap read speeds of the blu-ray drive ment it would probably never been used for gaming. Just like the lies of true 1080p gaming.

People protest to stop companies from flat out lying to us like that. Just like EA when they where jerking people around. It wasnt until gamers started boycotting their products (last gen) that they changed their ways. Now lets look at activision EA`s #1 competitor. They are worse than the old EA and now people are getting sick of them. In time people will stop buying their products also to force the company to see consumers as not just a dollar sign blind sheep but as actual consumers who pay their salaries and keep their stock holders happy. But just like and boycott some people will chose not to and they have every right to not support it. But Those who do boycott do it for reasons and that reason is usally simple changes that can easily be fixed.

But crap sony has been pulling over the last few months has been insane and customers arent even treated as customers but more as criminals. If removing other os was done to prevent hackers they took it from everyone regardless if they where hackers or not. Suing hackers for more money then they will ever make in their entire lifetime probably.

But its not just 1 thing, its accumulation of things that built up over time, that has got people to this point. But until sony values its customers as PAYING customers (even hackers buy a ps3) and respect the user base as that. People will cont to turn on Sony for treating them like nothing more than a cash cow that never runs out of milk.

Last but not least. It wasnt until the people stopped buying ps3 that proved to sony the ps3 launch price was nothing but absurd and ridiculous, that sony decided to lower its price (breaking more promises of every ps3 will be 100% bc) to try and get customers to buy their product. But even then sonys agenda was to push blu-ray into the mainstream and a risk that almost killed ps3 because it proven that consumers didnt want it (proven by the fact ps3 made up the entire bluray market except single digit stand alone player sales).

14. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
    in reality, you dont need to boycott sony because geohot says so. just enjoy the 'sony timer' thats plagued them since the 80s and make a decision after you're affected by it. lol. ps2 had the worst sony timer of them all.

15. 399
    poxhacker

poxhacker Loyal Member

Student
    shhh people will think your a sony fan boy

16. 673
    put4558350

put4558350 Loyal Member

Being a gamer <> using sony product

I can live with Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple And Google

17. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

Not really, before sony ever released a console (stateside at least) I was already playing on my Atari 2600. Video games did not start with sony, and should they go belly up (I can only hope) the video game industry will not follow suit. We lost sega as a console manufacturer, and nothing big really happened because of it... sony did replace them, but if sony disappear someone will replace them.

No, all companies protect their investments, but not all companies need to attack their customers investments to protect themselves. THAT is the difference here.

If you don't agree with how a company does business why would you encourage them to continue doing things as they are by purchasing their products/services? I understand it doesn't phase you that sony removed OtherOS, stopped supporting b.c., were late to implement rumble, etc, etc... I can understand that, but just think of this: It didn't phase me that Anonymous took down the psn, so just because something doesn't bother you personally doesn't make it right.

Like you sony's prick moves didn't phase me either in the past, and on many occasions I could understand why they did things, but what did I gain by looking at things from their angle? I understood that they would keep escalating their douchebaggery until they finally screwed me.

Sorry, I won't give sony the chance to treat me like some petty criminal ever again. For me it's not about a boycott for someone elses reasons; I just respect myself too much. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Too late... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too late.

18. 317
    CannonFodder

CannonFodder Loyal Member

Looks like Egohotz had to pay huge fines and now he's pissed. So he's telling everyone to boycott Sony for his own revenge? I'm not falling for this, why should I give up playing some of the best games that's ever made and the consoles that have given me so much fun so I can satisfy this jerk. No thanks! I'm a gamer but I'm not insane.

19. 153
    lc204

lc204 Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    He's probably not legally allowed to go near a Sony product after the case was settled. He's just trying to save face by giving a lame excuse.

20. 6,627
    tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

No, he just can't hack another Sony product:
    http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/04/scea-...nt-geohot-consents-to-a-permanent-injunction/

I'm sorry but securing a system is one thing, but to remove an official feature for it is another.

You may not use OOS or understand the logic behind people wanting it, but you should still be concerned over its removal because its sets a precedent for companies to remove official features all the name of 'security'. You may say that the update was optional, but it wasnt if you wanted to run newer games or PSN, in effect a form of blackmail.

Remember the Sony BMG rootkit? Do you like the idea of a rootkit all in the name of 'security'?

I simply cant trust the company anymore and after this gen I wont be buying their consoles, or at the very least (knowing me) I wont be buying till late in the gen when I'll get it cheaper and will only buy it for gaming when the MS console is in the situation it is now and hopefully any ****ing Sony will do will have already happened so I know what to expect or I get the console as a gift.

Now I know it may sound weird the last part, but if there aren't any games on the other systems I own, I would probably get one. Like I said, my only real fear is Sony ****ing with us so I hope by then it would already happen so I know what I am getting, not two years after purchase.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2011