hit tracker

Article: Geohot's cheeky plea for a job with backfires, SCEA uses it against him

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Jan 12, 2011.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 447
    urmaster

urmaster Loyal Member

lol Sony 'attempt to obtain employment', do judges take this **** seriously?
    If this BS was presented to me I would be insulted!

3. 0
    wiggim

wiggim Guest

...yeah, they didn't include the IRC log of the "OMG THEY MADE THE BEGINNERS MISTAKE!" when it all started back mid-dec.

4. 226
    friko

friko Loyal Member

obtain employment?
    "Get in touch with me" doesn't mean that.

5. 254
    iloveme28

iloveme28 Loyal Member

sony are really pushing their luck with this lawsuit :D

6. 66
    DKing91

DKing91 Loyal Member

I really do hope they get a no BS judge. Then in that case, I don't even have to wish them luck since Sony is just acting the foo' ;)

7. 26,553
    Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

It is a fortune for us if geohot don't enter in Sony.

8. 123
    Jish

Jish Loyal Member

Yeah I read that part. "Intention to extort" for employment, lol, that'll never hold for several reasons. He already released the info/metldr keys at that point so it isn't extortion. It's doubtful any of the case will actually stick. Although there are exceptions code is generally accepted as free speech. Keys (especially in this instance) are mathematically induced. They claim that one cannot read these keys due to the TPM's however, fail0verflow and geohot were still able to get/read the keys, because they were sitting their relatively easy to find.

This reeks of the DVD CSS encryption keys released with DeCSS fiasco. That lawsuit never went anywhere. All in all it comes down to poor execution of security measures. Had Sony kept Other OS it's doubtful this would be happening at this stage of the PS3's life.

Sony unlawfully removed advertised features. Sony won't get too far with their crappy EULA's and so-called licensed consoles (not with the ridiculous price they "lease" their hardware out for. The PS3's are legally owned personally by the respective customers (not leased like Sony's EULA and lawyers seem to think) and further modification is within fair-use.

9. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

It's as I suspected it would be, they know they don't have much of a case here and are using bully boy scare tactics. It was inevitable that they were going to play rough as they need to show share holders they ae doing somthing, tho I think they should actually be charged wih knowingly wasting the courts time.

You would think if the governments were for the people as they claim and not for themselves and big business as they actually are, they would introduce a law where when a company does this type of time wasting bully tactics via the legal system, they would be sued by the legal system. Governements are always complaining about how they are never able to get enough money and this is a completely just way of getting some from companies that can clearly afford it as they use that money to bully people and other companies into getting what they want.

10. 447
    DKing

DKing Loyal Member

'plea for a job'? Where was that? I didn't see Geohot making any sort of plea for a job. This news headline is almost as much epic fail as Sony's system security.

11. 38
    MrRogers

MrRogers Loyal Member

Come on guys, what do you think "if you want your next console to be secure, get in touch with me." means? He is an attention whore and claimed that HE ALONE could make their (Nintendo, Sony, Xbox) consoles more secure.
    No, it wasn't a "plea" for a job, but he DID insinuate that if he were contacted then he could help keep those consoles from being hacked.
    IMO he was absolutely offering his services to them.
    Will this help SONY's lawsuit? probably not.
    I am not defending SONY, nor am I dismissing this kid's mad skills, but by stating what he did, wouldn't YOU be a little pissed if you worked on the PS3 security and somebody said this?
    I'm just sayin

12. 123
    Jish

Jish Loyal Member

It was their, although it was obviously done in jest (at least partly, not extortion though like SCE is claiming)) otherwise he wouldn't have released the root key. He said something like this '..if you want your next console to be more secure get in touch with me any of the 3...'

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2011
  13. 13,435
    billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    he wont need a job with sony once he's won the countersuit he should file for theft (of other os) and defamation of character (for accusing him of extortion).

14. 144
    vishvender

vishvender Loyal Member

I hate Sony for doing this but that remark was unnecessary dude.

15. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

Actually in todays times, he probably should file a counter suit. If sony loses this case it really could professionally screw him just for being put in the global spotlight of news as a hacker.