hit tracker

Article: Hackers confirm Sony implemented 'rootkit' in new PS3 firmware

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 1, 2011.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 0
    XstahSie

XstahSie Guest

3. 368
    Wesyeed

Wesyeed Loyal Member

Before jumping to conclusions, how much control does sony have with this thing? Can they totally erase my ps3 files etc... or is it just going to log the drive contents and send it to sony. I figured this was already possible considering people who have the know-how can see what's on your computer anyway.:confused:

4. 6,199
    Retroboy

Retroboy Banned MaxConsole Troll BANNED FOREVER

I sell online ads for a living, but love to compla
    Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
    Home Page:
    http://www.retrojunkies.karoo.net
    lol they wont erase files (tho people will try saying they will) they will simply use it to block your ps3 from going online.

5. 137
    Ravenheart

Ravenheart Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.ravenlabs.org
    This smells of a lawsuit in the works.

6. 156
    CalaMocha

CalaMocha Loyal Member

Studding
    Sony seems to like rootkits, i remember when they used it on CD's to hide the mp3s from the costumer....

7. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Nintendo uses updates to remove hacks on installation and even provided updates with a higher chance of bricking consoles so why wouldn't Sony take action in more or less the same way?

8. 68
    BloodyJerusalem

BloodyJerusalem Loyal Member

"Math" claimed a lot already in regards to ps3 and hacking. He's not exactly 100% right with his great predictions...so I'll just take them with a large bag of salt. We'll just have to see if that will be enough to prevent "hacked" consoles from going online or not.

9. 3,748
    MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject Loyal Member

so? who needs their ps3 online?

10. 1,952
    CZroe

CZroe Loyal Member

Security guard and student
    Home Page:
    http://
    That's why I'm still hoping for a drive hack so I can use BD backups (REAL backups... not piracy). Also, I want Linux restored for homebrew. It would also be dice if they could make tools similar to what the XBOX 360 has for switching out drives because they fail often and people can'tjust buy a replacement without switching their controller board into the replacement.

11. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

No big deal, you shouldn't expect to play online if you hack a console or a game in the PC's case even if you can for a while, at best you can only expect to playonline with the risk of being banned.

Anyway, roll on the ban whines, always amuses me with the 360 with the complainers get angry as they ahve been assuming they are owed the right to play online with no punishment on a hacked console, and then claim they are going to get a PS3 because of it, will be fun to hear the same ones complaining that they are banned on the PS3 as well next :D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
  12. 449
    osnoozeo

osnoozeo Loyal Member

who cares, psn sucks anyway!

13. 146
    janobi

janobi Loyal Member

Wow this is 2 days old, and its now posted on MC. Zeus mate, your slipping and need news reporters.

Its not a rootkit in the same sense as the CD ones. And Sony can delete anything on the console they feel is not legal. They also have the ability to brick the console remotely. But how true the last bit is, no-one actually knows yet.

Its going to be a simple choice for people. Online or Piracy/Games. Online sucks on the PSN anyway, so it wouldn't be that much of a loss.

14. 0
    uberfry

uberfry Guest

is this news? it's been active since the start of xbox 360. HvxKeysExecute allows execution on hypervisor level, but tards need a "FAMOUS HACKER" to state the obvious, so meh.

15. 0
    wiggim

wiggim Guest

When you install, read the TOS. if it don't state it in there - and files disappear off your console Im sure something could be done. Most likley it vaguely words something to legally cover their ass though.

As for piracy vs online as a simple choice I don't believe so - I believe sony will be making the choice regardless if you are or are not a pirate but rather just enjoying homebrew they'll cut you off. Since PSN is a free service I suspect they will be vigilant on axing anything they can. key checks are pointless - so they move onto file checks.

It will be interesting to get logs, see if its automated or not.

16. 90
    GeToChKn

GeToChKn Loyal Member

Takes what, 45 seconds to switch out a controller board?

17. 329
    jbondsr

jbondsr Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    What would be nice is if we could develop our own PSN.

18. 37
    Xian97

Xian97 Loyal Member

Sony has installed the ability to remotely execute code - huge mistake. If/when that gets hacked then they have really shot themselves in the foot. How long before we see PS3 botnets, spammers, and more. You would have thought that they would have learned from their PC rootkit fiasco without repeating it again.

19. 493
    gooki

gooki Loyal Member

Agreed. All of a sudden the "jailbroken and CFW" consoles become more secure than the the unmodified ones. Not cool.

20. 2,358
    QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

And if we could... who would set up the servers with their money for everyone to use?