hit tracker

Article: Hackers porting popular codecs to 360, MPEG1 now playable

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Apr 3, 2011.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 122
    somenetdude

somenetdude Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    i like my WDTV media hub plus i wont burn up my 360 watching videos..

3. 254
    iloveme28

iloveme28 Loyal Member

thats why i have a jtagged jasper instead ;)

4. 6,199
    Retroboy

Retroboy Banned MaxConsole Troll BANNED FOREVER

I sell online ads for a living, but love to compla
    Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
    Home Page:
    http://www.retrojunkies.karoo.net
    i loe to see how MS still dont make the 360 or even WINDOWS play media files, you allways have to use other peoples codex to play them.

What makes me laugh with MEDIA player, when it feckin cant play MEDIA, it should be called Windows ONLY player.

5. 449
    osnoozeo

osnoozeo Loyal Member

yea i agree with u on that one, doesn't make any sense, maybe they dont have rights, or copyright ownership of them. not really sure though. prolly y i never even use windows media player.

6. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
    whats hard to understand about that

ms didnt develop real media, so why would they make a codec for it. they also didnt develop divx, or x264, etc etc so why make codecs?

let the people who actually make the format develop the codec.

what your loeing to see is the norm for every operating system out there basically.

what you should loe to see is microsoft preinstall the codecs but that just adds to the trouble. theres a reason operating systems leave it up to the end user to handle codecs.

7. 1,952
    CZroe

CZroe Loyal Member

Security guard and student
    Home Page:
    http://
    And yet their player always checks online for a codec to download automatically. If it's not executable, why not make an open registry so that the function can actuall work and be useful?

8. 6,199
    Retroboy

Home Page:
    no but thats why media player sucks, because MS dont make a operating system that has a media player that cant actually play media, it only plays windows media files, but like many media players, they didnt actually develop the codec but they still put it in because they know people will use it, and makes it easier for people to play media.

it would make windows alot simpler if when they install the OS that they didnt have to go looking for codecs, lets not forget how many people are clue less when it comes to windows, and it would be easier for MS to simply start improving Media Player by actually making it a Media Player.

9. 81
    emkoemko

emkoemko Loyal Member

if ms wanted to make media player play anything else they have to pay for it that's why you can install your own codecs and use them in media player. i just use media player classic never liked media player. Same reason xbox360 needs you to have internet to activate some video codecs so they know how many users are using it so they pay for only them.

10. 6,199
    Retroboy

Home Page:
    so the billions the company makes, it wont splash out a tiny licnece fee to improve meadia player.

ive heard people moan over less lol

and actually MS require internet because they allways want to know what your doing, they allways make it complicated, its far simpler to just add the codecs and if people use it they can, the comapny makes that much money it can afford to do so.

11. 26,553
    Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

Mpg1?. On ps2 run avi and divx.

12. 19
    Rotzetool

Rotzetool Loyal Member

I think they would get sued by other companies, if they start to install third party codecs with their OS. They even got sued by installing their own software(internet explorer).

13. 0
    ando2k5

ando2k5 Guest

so what about the likes of vlc?

free software, which supports more or less all formats, codec licenses i don't think so

14. 254
    HugeGorrila

HugeGorrila Loyal Member

xbox 360 already does avi and divx that without mods.

15. 136
    Jacksoft

Jacksoft Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://blog.jacksoftlabs.com
    Xbox1 + XBMC = WIN

360 my ass.

16. 6,199
    Retroboy

Home Page:
    i really hoped ms would have done something like this with the 360, xbmc is the main reason i still own my xbox, feck [email protected] windows media player streaming from your pc.

17. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Good luck watching HD WMV's, and many MKV's with sound. It why I gave mine to a mate when his old xbox got smashed by his missus. Ok for watching SD stuff but throw somthing HD at it and the odds are not on your side to be able to hear the film. I replaced mine with a mini PC, no such problems and only cost me £50 more than the WDTV (I had the HD WDTV as well by the way, the one with the HDMI port not the 1080i one).

Would be nice to have a XBMC style media centre again, but I for one have moved on, got mini pc's and old HDMI laptops doing the job, however no denying if people can get hold a console that does the job (the wii by the way does a good job of being a replacement XBMC media player mind you for SD stuff) thats going to be happy days for a good many people, tho I thoink the PS3 is the more convenient route at the mo.

18. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Ah I see you have totaly forgotten the many legal battles that have had reguarding having windows do everythting without needing 3rd party software. They don't add it simply because they would get in the kneck for blocking 3rd party software, so they leave it open to 3rd parties to do it, not that it's hard to do it yourself tho by downloading somthing like K-Lite which in this day and age even on slow ass connections can be downloaded in less time than it takes to install it.

The only thing I will agree on is the lack of support via the WMC extender for format supported on the console, but thats no big deal either as that can be worked around if you really need to use that instead of playing stuff directly via network links or USB. At the end of the day, neither the PS3 or 360 are that competant as media players even when hacked, the onluy one that is partly respectable tho only due to the lack of HD, is the wii.

19. 272
    bubbleboy

bubbleboy Loyal Member

I used to wish I had XBMC for the 360.

But now I have a $60 Chinese brand media player that plays absolutely everything I've ever thrown at it except for ONE file, a badly encoded rip.

It plays everything at 1080p, low power consumption, extremely cheap and works flawlessly.

WDTV?? I've heard it sucks.

20. 605
    Tempos

Tempos Loyal Member

Windows Media Player supports DivX and H.264 without additional codecs, the two most used video formats on the internet. It may not support MKV containers, but they're usually only used by pirates who can install a splitter anyway.