hit tracker

Article: Infinity Ward: Making a new CoD engine would be counter productive

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Mar 2, 2011.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 6,627
    tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

In the specific case of COD, it would be counter productive simply because the development cycles are so short.

That said, unless you have an engine which is constantly receiving incremental updates or easily scaled for either new needs or new systems, it will eventually fall behind and have to be replaced regardless.

3. 86
    Asgaro

Asgaro Loyal Member

Haha FAIL, Activision has piles of money. They could easily hire some more devs to create a new engine alongside other game developments.

But the worst part of all this is: the next COD game will sell as much or - still - even more than BF3... :(
    Only if all the kids would stop buying 18+ games, BF3 would be on top.

4. 402
    zecht

zecht BANNED FOREVER

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. Don't even bother starting on something that takes years to complete. That's like saying I'm not going to work towards my future because it's so time consuming.

5. 6,064
    saleem

saleem Loyal Member

so basicly the next will just be a addon to the last and multiplayer will be a £10 mappack allbeit that it was on a £40 disc?

i will defo pass on the next before i even know anything about it,the maps will have to increase like 4 fold,the setting will have to be anywhere bar earth and have hovering space ships you can control with phazer weapons.otherwise its just the same old s**t to me.
    :p

6. 163
    Moses015

Moses015 Loyal Member

Network Systems Engineer and Consultant
    Well considering they lost the actual heart of Infinity Ward to Respawn, they're probably just not good enough and too lazy to make a new engine. Figures, Activision coasting on the success that someone else built.

7. 141
    Shadow_Satey

Shadow_Satey Loyal Member

Great; Modern Warfare 3 will look just like CoD4, and Red Ops next year will look like Black Ops, and MW4 will look like MW2, and White Ops......

8. 6,014
    grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
    Of course its counterproductive...most of what made infinity ward what it was is gone..whats left are basically just filling in the blanks with the tools they were left with its like firing an artist handing it over to a paint by number dabbler and asking him if he wants to make something original. Besides it activision, the goal is to milk the franchise into the ground then fire them all.

9. 611
    Section8

Section8 Loyal Member

"expect more of the same CoD action for years to come!"

Tell us something we don't know :rolleyes:

10. 146
    janobi

janobi Loyal Member

If it ain't broke then don't fix it!