hit tracker

Article: iPhone 4 gets official unveiling, cameras included

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Jun 7, 2010.

1. 121
    Jsameds

Jsameds BANNED FOREVER

Shows what you know. If it had OLED you can wave goodbye to using it outdoors!

2. 151
    bigj_kcfan

bigj_kcfan Loyal Member

Student
    i wish it was coming to verizon or sprint... at&t sucks and doesn't deserve the iPhone oh well hello HTC Evo 4G!

3. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Oh well, another i-phone that is essentially dated even before release. The original had the touch screen gimic going for it and bugger all else, this is just another minor update to keep it up to date with phones from a few years ago. If i feel the need for a touchscreen phone I'll go for an android OS offering as that is usually provided on phones by manufacturers who at least have clue of how it's meant to be a phone with extra's, not extra's with a phone added, and without paying for extra's to make it fully featured.

The I-phone is the only phone I have ever regreted buying, I'll stick with SE phones as they have not dissapointed me so far since my old W810i up to my current W995.

4. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

You can't call it trendsetting/revolutionary/innovative really, this is just repackaged technology for the west that already exists in the crowded asian market... by the time we have 4g they'll have 8g for example.

Just like we're about to get a 3D handheld gaming system... the asia region already has it in some phones. This is just an IPS based panel upgrade anyway nothing new... i have had one for some months now.

5. 35
    Jocis

Jocis Loyal Member

I think that steve job said that Retina Display is a little bit better than OLED (i don't know how)

6. 372
    p1nky

p1nky Loyal Member

If Steve Jobs says it it must be true.

7. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

8. 99
    BeNPDA

BeNPDA Loyal Member

Not as bad as Bill Gates' infamous Windows 98 Scanner bluescreen moment, but at least Gates had a semi-comeback, whilst Jobs just says 'Oh geez'. Meh, whatever. I'm not going to be buying it.

9. 722
    stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 Loyal Member

OH MY GOD A NEW iPHONE!?

wow....with all the publicity about the prototype iPhone left on a Bar stool, and the gizmondo editor...

..I COULDN'T POSSIBLY THINK IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN! O_O

10. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

Which phone really depends on the time frame. Right now Nexus One, and it's CMDA flavors (Desire in verizon, and I believe the 4G on sprint) are the way to go. Simply because of the snapdragon... I mean just the name of the damn cpu is cool. I've been with Android since day 1, and while at first I wouldn't recommend it to most people, the OS has grown in features and stability to a very good level.

It has many great apps, but I don't think they stack up too nicely with their iphone counterparts, but there's greater variety of apps on the android market. They need to make it easier to browse though.

I agree with WM comment, it seems to only get worst with every release. My brother has the HD2, and I can bring myself to tell him that's the dumbest smartphone ever, crappiest UI I've had the displeasure of using.

As far as the iphone goes, just wait a few months for the more complete version to be released if you feel you need to buy one; we all know it's coming.

11. 122
    somenetdude

somenetdude Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    I prefer my EVO ... 8mp camera, HAS camera flash... welcome to the real world apple.... ohh, and evo already has 2 camera... basically iphone is trying to compete with evo now...... at least evo supports flash web sites, and flash files..

12. 304
    switchg3ar

switchg3ar Loyal Member

Neurosurgeon
    That EVO is a huge phone, but honestly it seems so juvenile saying my evo already has two cameras. It's a pissing contest, look I just take what you said plug in evo and N8 and it's applies "basically evo is trying to compete with N8 now" At the end of the day it's a phone love it or hate it. You don't have to like it.

It's really interesting to see the fanbois come out of the wood work and I'm glad I'm not involved in the smart phone craze. You guys do make for a good read ;)

13. 6,014
    grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
    I've been having to support android for a couple months now at a few of my clients, my biggest problem with it is there are 3 versions out there and some manufacturers are cheaping out and not licensing the whole thing...in the end those users get screwed when updates don't happen and they realize they are stuck with donut and no official google store...its a disjointed mess but people don't know the difference. Its kind of like the 30 flavors of linux..some are great some are trash and 99% of people cant tell the difference until its too late. I had one of the clients who is an apple hater talking about how he was going andoid no matter what..problem is he is a cheap ass and ended up getting a mytouch after I told him to get a Droid. When it was time to setup the phone he was upset with me because his exchange support was email only...no contacts, no calendar...etc...I basically had to explain the differences between supported offical android and non officall, donut and cupcake, etc...in the end while he managed to talk the carrier into letting him buy a Droid at the contract price, they would not take the mytouch back so basically he ended up paying over $300 and a 2 year contract. I just wish people would listen or google would get some freaking control over things that have their OS on them....but then I guess all that mess is great I mean its open right???? Geeks tend to forget that 99% of the people out there arent geeks and for them the "walled garden" scenario is actually the safer choice...at least they cant **** up as bad as my client did.

Look I know you don't like apple...whatever but seriously...where does all this couple months for a more complete version come from...iphone updates one phone once a year, HTC released 23 phones last year alone and no one complains. BTW whats missing that makes it so incomplete? Most of the features a handful of geeks want the masses simply don't care about, its kind like the whole HD console thing...core gamers not understanding why the wii is stomping the crap out of the others...the masses don't care about all the stuff they cant do or don't need just what they can do and what they can do easily.

14. 399
    poxhacker

poxhacker Loyal Member

Student
    Yeah for you it's understandable, but it's just stupid to get a new iPhone after getting a 3rd gen iphone.

15. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

grape it's not hate for apple, it's just that we all know that there's going to be another iphone released in a few months that's going to offer things the current one doesn't have. HTC and everybody that releases Android phones released a but load of phones, but they released phones for all carriers, and in different prices... marginally different I admit.

HTC might have release all those phones, but they haven't been holding out on things that we pretty much consider basic functionality. GPS, Camera, BT, I mean seriously there's not one revision of the current iphone that brought a feature that was not a standard feature for most phones, with the exception of multi-touch.

Are you really telling me that there won't be another iphone "update" in 10 -12 months?

16. 697
    Almighty_Peanut

Almighty_Peanut Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    so this one is basically slimmer, prettier screen, and **** that was thrown in that should have been there from the very first model. at least jobbs set himself up for an easy upgrade next year. NEW IPHONE SUPPORTS MICROSD OMFG!!!!

17. 456
    Nomad121

Nomad121 Loyal Member

How is having two cameras a pissing contest? 3G phones have had 2 cameras for video comferencing for about 7 years now. But because Steve Jobs tells you its revolutionary its must've beeen invented yesterday day right?

I love the fanboy analyst that came with the announcement, "makes video conferencing so easy" "its amazing", oh geez I wonder what's so hard about pressing the video call button, but once again if Steve Jobs tells you its innovative it must be.

Isn't it? I have a cheap Samsung phone and it sure was better than my old Nokia.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2010
  18. 382
    taiki

taiki Loyal Member

When the hell has this *EVER* happened with the last three generations of iPhones? the only thing I can even possibly think of is the first gen iPhone, which the original 4 and 8 gb models were replaced shortly by a set of 8 and 16 gig models with the 4 gig model phased out shortly after release.

Apple isn't HTC, or Motorola or any other phone manufacturer. They don't release 20 models targeting different markets at different price points sold by different carriers.

Multitouch, manufacturer centric App Store(As opposed to carrier centric app stores), WebKit based browser with HTML5 support...

Here's the big question.

When you hit that button.

Will it work? Does the other phone use the same compression technique? Same codecs? What does it cost on your plan? How much data does it use?

Yes, I was jazzed when Apple introduced a feature that everyone had in 2010, multitasking, but on the other hand, it was a feature everyone got *wrong*. On Windows Mobile devices, I had to keep killing tasks in the task manager to keep my phone's battery life sane. The fact that people are suggesting Android users to do the same suggests to me that Google has done it very, very, very VERY wrong.

When I got my first gen iPhone, my brother asked, "Where's the stylus?"

I looked at him and laughed.

Then next thing I knew, he was inheriting my iPhone after I picked up a 3G, now he has my 3G after I got a 3GS.

19. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

Did he then go on to say, "forward me that text, oh you can't untill you buy an app, ok then send it to me by bluetooth then, oh you can't, so you have to type it out again and send me it as a new text then, ok don't bother. I thought the iphone was somthing special, my old black and white lcd late 90's phone can do all that. Oh so you can have a ligtsabre app, thats usefull will it let you do video messaging, oh you can't do that either. Any way forget that the battery just died on my phone and it looks like the hot chick in the gouse opposite is getting undressed in front of an open window, how do I zoom in and capture video, ah need to buy another app, oh dear welcome to 5 yrs ago I guess"

The only use I have found for my I-phone is as a skype phone so I don't have to have the PC on, other than that my old W995 is superior in every way and has no annoying touch screen. I went straight back to my W880 after trying to use the I-phone for a week. I don't see the point of gimic apps if it doesn't do what a cheap ass phone will do out of the box first.

20. 13,435
    billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    what is with the "new" video calling feature? i know its been a standard feature for the last 4-5 years on 3g networks but this version on the apple only works i-crap4 to i-crap4 and only over wifi making it utterly useless (like most of the rest of the i-phone.