hit tracker

Article: Kinect is not racist! proven.

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by danight, Nov 5, 2010.

1. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

2. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
    wont matter. ps3 fanboys will still call it racist and continue to play with the glowy ball sticks.

3. 13
    CoDRaZieL

CoDRaZieL Loyal Member

I happen to like my glowy ball stick! I like buttons

4. 644
    soulbwoy

soulbwoy Loyal Member

This doesn't prove anything the fact still remains that under certain lighting condition the kinect still doesn't recognize darker skin people. This attempt at trying to downplay the issue is a fail.

Its like the white guy who crosses the street when hes sees black guy at night but doesn't do it during the day.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
  5. 2,358
    QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

Well PS3 fanboys must not understand what racism is because it's impossible for a non-sentient inanimate object to be "racist."

6. 2,907
    MaxMouseDLL

MaxMouseDLL Pink Flower Loyal Member

Yea, it's called a technological limitation, the camera can't fucking see black guys facial features under low light conditions... that doesn't make it racist in any way, it makes it have a NORMAL technological flaw, I'd struggle to see a black guys features at night time with my own damn eyes, how do you expect a piece of hardware to do it?!

Fact: Black guys are black (or brown) and that colour is really bad at reflecting light... deal with it.

7. 644
    soulbwoy

soulbwoy Loyal Member

Relax my friend its not that serious. There is no need for you to swear and explain the technology to me, I am well aware of how the technology is limited to lighter skinned people in low lighting conditions, I acknowledge this in my original post. Technically it is bias. It wasn't made that way intentionally to offend anyone, but it is what it is. This Article is trying to discredit the original findings but fails because they still cant get it to work under the original conditions.

I personally find this technical flaw funny, and I find it even funnier that your getting defensive and sympathizing with the technology as if it were human...

Also, your response tells me something about you. Kinect is just technology, whats your excuse?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2010
  8. 126
    coresnake

coresnake Loyal Member

No
    I'm just racist, what's YOUR excuse?

9. 644
    soulbwoy

soulbwoy Loyal Member

LOL... What do I need an excuse for?

10. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

To my knowledge nobody here called it racist, overreaction or what? In a standard testing environment that does not change many people are able to use Kinect just fine but it has problems with some dark skinned users despite nothing changing.

Sure Kinect isn't being racist but it sure as hell isn't working how you'd expect it to, considering the way the product was marketed i would say this is a failure on Microsoft's (and primesense') part. How do they expect to use Kinect with the PC in something like an office where you have no control of lighting and so on?

Part of the plan behind this device is to do with interactive office conferencing, there are plans to have Kinect based technology working with Windows 8... I can see whole new comical situations occurring at login time with everyone piling into the office and getting recognised while the darker skinned person is asking for more light eventually screaming "WORK YOU POS" before caving and just typing his information into his terminal.

11. 140
    jase1

jase1 Loyal Member

Instead of talking about tech you talk about black people, so let's talk about black people.

Do you think I don't struggle to see a white guys features at night time with my own damn eyes? seriously, do you? no seriously, do you think this?

Fact: More than 90% of the worlds population are dark skinned, the darker the skin the better light can be absorbed, that's why UV cream and sun block is not needed......no skin cancer deal with it.

What will happen is that the news of poor recognition with darker skinned people will circulate and thus affect sales, because it really is of no use or more hassle to use, if you think African, East Asian and Indian people don't buy tech made using informed decisions based on practicality then people are mistaken.

12. 2,907
    MaxMouseDLL

My excuse is, I'm tired of hearing "OMG THAT'S RACIST!!!" (When things have been misconstrued as such... clearly, if you want to shout racism when someone or something (if that's possible) genuinely is being a racist, then you go ahead... personally, if someone is racist towards me... I really couldn't care less.. meh, each to their own), I'll leave that there, before something else I say can be construed in that way.

Fact is, people who consider themselves a "racial abuse target" are more concerned about their colour than anyone else is, effectively... being their own worst enemy.

Let's talk about sex, baby, let's talk about you and me...

I thought we were talking about black people? meh... either way, no, I don't think that. A white guy at night reflects more light than a black guy at night... you know, the same stuff all humans use to see? L.I.G.H.T... white reflects more of it than black, it's called physics... so, are you partially sighted? or did someone kick you in the damn head?

Fact more than 99% of percentage figures posted on forums are picked out of the air at random... where did you manage to find a figure like 90%?! the percentage of "African American" people as a race has been dropping in America (for example) until 1930, and is now slowly rising again, it reached a low of 9.7% and now sits at 12.3% as measured in 2000 from a population of 36.6 million. Even so, I'd consider whites as a minority if you were to take Asians as a race into consideration, there are simply more of "them"... also what the hell is "black"?! is there some kind of black to brown scale where you stop being "black" and start being "brown"? what happens if I get a tan? can I jump on your bandwagon with you?

Yea, maybe that will happen, doesn't that tell you something?! if this could have been avoided it would have been, they want to sell to as many as possible, funnily enough.. that includes black guys.

People need to calm down, I don't care what colour you are, neither does this gadget or the company behind it... it just works better for lighter skinned people for obvious reasons. Even so, this issue only effects logging in... any excuse to jump on the "OMG THAT'S SO RACIST" bandwagon though hu?

13. 26,553
    Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

Is unveliable that Ms haven't test it with black people. Usa is multiracial, then is very strange, anybody in Microsoft have this things. It seems like a big design flaw.

14. 2,907
    MaxMouseDLL

Its a common flaw with facial recognition software... MS will have tested it with as many races as possible, but it would probably have been under optimum conditions, not at 1am in a dim, smoky bedroom somewhere.

15. 644
    soulbwoy

soulbwoy Loyal Member

Heres a funny thought.

Kinect should be cheaper for darker skinned users, like an automatic rebate or something since its limited for them. Darker skinned users should be compensated for the extra current needed for brighter lights. ROFL:D Seriously though, I can see the class action lawsuits coming, American lawyers love bullshit like this.

16. 94
    thedove75

thedove75 Loyal Member

fanboyz errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

17. 2,907
    MaxMouseDLL

What are they going to do? take the laws of physics to court? I'm sure dark skinned folk are pissed off about this, but the informed know why and will turn lights on during login...

It does suck a bit though... I really don't see what they can do to fix it.

18. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

There is no way this becomes a class action suit... No way at all.
    what damages would be the basis? your feelings got hurt :rolleyes:

I doubt any body really cares about this. Nobody expected perfection and the tech if it was perfected would not cost $150 it would be big money.

Apple was also gonna buy the tech and had contracts ready, until they tried the screw the owners of the tech and they took it to microsoft.

19. 725
    Tsujin

Tsujin Loyal Member

It's almost funny, Apple screw the owners, Microsoft screw the tech by gimping it, nobody really wins.

20. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

But who knows what apple would have done with the tech. i-nect :rolleyes: Buut its probably a safe bet we wouldnt see it in a video game console like we see kinect now.