hit tracker

Article: Kojima: Video game consoles will die in the near future

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Apr 7, 2010.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 888
    wewii

wewii Loyal Member

blah blah blah. That's all I heard.

3. 129
    NextGenPsych

NextGenPsych Loyal Member

Sure: playing GT5 on your iphone will deliver the same experience as your PS3 + steering-wheel + 40" Full HD TV + Dolby Surround sound, and Halo 3 can easily be played on your iPad or DS.

And developers can easily port every game from one platform to another in less than 1 day , but they're all just lazy, i'm telling ya, lazy !! :D

4. 6,014
    grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
    I think his point is valid though...look at what has happened with computers, laptops now outsell desktops...that was unthinkable 10 years ago since there was such a large gap in both price and performance...but not anymore. Japan I think is a good indicator of where things are heading, handhelds vastly outsell consoles even though they are less powerful. No a handheld cant play Halo3 but I wouldn't bet against a handheld having that kind of power within the next couple generations. While it may not be for everyone, I will admit if I had a handheld available with the same power as my 360 or PS3 I'd ditch consoles in an instant.

5. 30
    sharkattack

sharkattack Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    Everything will die in the near future. Some countries still can't afford nukes but they will someday. Ironic how this statement came from the same person that always points out the danger of nuclear weapons in his MGS-games.

6. 613
    CharmedonWB

CharmedonWB Loyal Member

Desktops have actually taken the lead again, but even so, your analogy is not remotely similar. Laptops outselling desktops is not the same as claiming that consoles will no longer exist. For the analogy to be accurate, the laptop would have to make the desktop completely obsolete and that is not going to happen ever, if anything, desktops will get smaller--much like televisions. A current generation hand held will never be as powerful as a current generation console because consoles are bigger and therefore can have more components added to them. People are now predicting that iPads are going to replace laptops. Just because something is new does not mean it is going to be the wave of the future. However, I will make a 100% accurate prediction, Kojima will die in the future.

7. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

I hate this guy, but i also think he is probably right on this one.

Whats to stop 1 company.... say EA (except EA money wise is in the crapper) from going around to all third party studios and getting with them to design a universal console. All they would need is companies that make game engines to really get onboard.

say epic (unreal 5) + EA (1 hell of a large game publisher) + 50 3rd party game studios = more profits for them and a universal box.

I think easily it could happen. if 3rd party devs join forces is could easily run all 3 major players out of consoles with lack of games to support the systems.
    Then they could sell the code to dvd makers, ipad makers, computer makers, etc etc adding support to no exclusive devices reaching a way bigger audience.

This blu-ray and ps3. ps3 carried blu-ray into a larger audiance making every ps3 owner a blu ray owner. Now reverse that and make every blu-ray owner a ps3 owner and you could see why it could happen.

I know people will say hardware makes stuff run. But as we seen tech changes so fast and ps2 can sustain as long as there is games. So 1 single hardware config put into multi devices could become a standard for a long time. over time the hardware gets smaller making it more portable.

same way blu ray got into laptops and pc`s. Think reverse roles where its the game system being added instead of video cards.
    all pc`s, laptops, in time smaller devices, all dvd players, cars, trucks, tv`s etc etc....

I think it could happen and would people spend 500 more dollars for a pc that plays the same games as their new car and their new laptop and can stream to all devices.

But trying to cut a major corp like microsoft wont be easy. It would take a equally high dollar company to support it like apple or vise versa. Not to mention ati or nvidia.

think how far the gaming world has come since atari 2600 or snes or sega saturn. Now there is emulators that can run even arcade games. psp even that small can run ps1 games. Is it hard to believe in 10 years current consoles wont have emulation?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2010
  8. 26,553
    Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

AHAHAH. Yeah. A 40" Full 4d Hd Tv portable....AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA:cool:

9. 6,014
    grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
    Interesting...when did that happen...I know the end of year stuff about 2009 was something like 59% laptop vs 41% desktop.

I didn't say his statement as saying consoles wouldn't exist...just that what we call a console now wont be what we have. With the big 3 all pushing the cloud/download initiative and competition coming from things like On-live along with advances in handhelds I dont see it being that far off-base in regards to the future.

Sure for some they can never replace it but like the wii has shown...the hardcore crowd is now an endangered species as far as they are concerned...acceptable losses...they will move forward with or without them the market on the casual side is just too big for them to worry about trying to please the "core gamer".

Actually the addon components statement is a good example...look at the sales of GT, then look at the sales of Steering Wheels....the people buying or even considering steering wheels for their console is minuscule in comparison...again its about the masses not about the old core. Its a whole new ballgame now.

For what its worth I see the writing on the wall for the traditional desktop in most homes as well...tv's are already shipping with things like netflix and interactive cable boxes are adding in "applets" its only a matter of time before lcd's and plasma's become basic entertainment hubs with things like web browsers and email clients built in. They will provide the basic functionality that most need. Its not so much that these things will disappear its more like things will evolve and converge. Again though its the masses they are going after. Put it this way if you have a potential market of a billion people are you really going to care about the 100 million or so you risk "loosing"?

Where are you seeing predictions of iPad's replacing notebooks? Even Apple has stated that its not aiming for that at all. One day maybe it can happen, but not anytime soon by any of the slates I have seen.

That said I do think there will always be someone willing to cater to the hardcore crowd...it will likely just become an overpriced niche.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2010
  10. 613
    CharmedonWB

CharmedonWB Loyal Member

Can't exactly remember where I read it, but it was either for the month of January or February that desktop sales outpaced laptop sales. Of course I am not saying that it is going to be a trend, but it's nice to see that desktops can still make a push. I have read at least three different analysts predicting that tablets will eventually overtake notebooks. The reason I said that desktops will never disappear is because they will eventually become the center of the household. It will be the hardware that runs everything in the house with terminals for personal use. I am awaiting the day for holographic projections instead of screens.

11. 6,014
    grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
    Well basically your agreeing with me then...I do think the "Jetsons" tv sets will be the norm eventually..we will use them for web surfing, video conferencing, entertainment, etc...it wont be a desktop, a game console, a phone, a media player or a TV....it will be all of those things.

I do think that if pushed properly and if technology advances quick enough that tablets could replace laptops...why not? I have a 5 year old slate (an HP TC1100) that has a detachable keyboard and upright docking station. Its a bit slow by todays standards for a laptop (but still faster than a netbook) but it works great...it was just overpriced and ahead of its time. I do think the market is right for something like that though, but its going to take time and alot of advancements in processor speed and efficiency to really make a dent.

12. 2,358
    QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

A lot of developers are starting to agree with this outlook. But it won't happen until the next-gen, we'll definitely know by then.

13. 3,748
    MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject Loyal Member

You sure>? I heard 4 blah's in a melodramatic way only kojima could mimic.

14. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

The day this happens is the day i stop gaming, No physical product = No sale.

15. 6,014
    grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
    Well there is always stamp collecting...

16. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

There's heavy drinking too :D

17. 34
    onenut

onenut Loyal Member

i'll have to agree, kojima must have seen the GeoHot youtube video of the cfw 3.21

18. 150
    Sven

Sven Loyal Member

They may need to fix the speed of light, first. Cloud computing won't be a valid option for most gaming until latency is taken out of the equation, imho.

19. 803
    WickedSkin

WickedSkin Loyal Member

Is it just me or does some posts sometimes "disappear"? Hmm...

20. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Can you give me an example and i'll have a look into it, i've not noticed the comment count change since this thread was created and i've checked it a few times today hmmm.