hit tracker

Article: MS abusing Chinese workforce, paying them just 34p an hour too

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Apr 17, 2010.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    More news to follow. But this is a truly terrible revelation.

3. 803
    WickedSkin

WickedSkin Loyal Member

This could explain the shitty quality of MS hardware.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  4. 30
    sharkattack

sharkattack Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    humans can go RROD too, ironic that communism has same color has it.

5. 26,553
    Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

I don't want defend Microsoft, but who say it is real?. I ma 100% sure, they aren't microsoft employers, but only a (I don't know exact word) contract industry.

6. 2
    MrFlooD

MrFlooD Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    This website is getting worse and worse everyday. MS is not abusing the Chinese workforce. A manufacture the produces some MS products is. That manufacture also makes products for HP, DELL, SONY, and even Apple. Why isn't there name in the title?

Microsoft has already gone on record stating they will take action immediately if true. How come no link to that article?

MaxConsole will never be taken seriously as a site, with crap reporting like this.

7. 2,415
    crypysmoker

crypysmoker Loyal Member

Bothering people
    A hole in a box somewhere over the rainbow
    BEcaused Zeus doesnt like posting whole stories. He chops them up into what he thinks sounds best.
    And yes, MS, HP, APPLE are all to blame for this, because these companies choose these factories to use. They choose them because they are cheaper. Because they dont ask "how do you treat your workers" doesnt mean they dont know.

What I cant figure out.... there cannot be enough of a job shortage for people to willingly deal with these kinds of situations, are there?

8. 3,209
    Trashcat

Trashcat Loyal Member

If you believe anything that you buy from China is produced by happy singing people with bright future you are a deluded moron. The sad truth is its still better to work horrible shifts in a sweat shop for an overseas corporation than work in a Chinese factory or coal mine or just simply starve to death.

9. 1,808
    Ichijoe

Ichijoe Loyal Member

Yeah so what, if your average Chinese Worker only makes 34p an Hour.
    The bigger question here is what does that "34p/h" get you come Payday.
    Perhaps those Chinese have a harder Currency, then say those of us who live in Europe or North America.

As long as they can afford to make such ends meet (Rent, Gas/Electric, Food & Transportation), I for One DO NOT SEE A PROBLEM HERE!

10. 62
    sweetchilliphil

sweetchilliphil Loyal Member

:eek:

You missed the rest of the article.

"The mostly female workers, aged 18 to 25, work from 7.45am to 10.55pm, sometimes with 1,000 workers crammed into one 105ft by 105ft room.

They are not allowed to talk or listen to music, are forced to eat substandard meals from the factory cafeterias, have no bathroom breaks during their shifts and must clean the toilets as discipline, according to the NLC.

The workers also sleep on site, in factory dormitories, with 14 workers to a room. They must buy their own mattresses and bedding, or else sleep on 28in-wide plywood boards. They 'shower' with a sponge and a bucket.

And many of the workers, because they are young women, are regularly sexually harassed, the NLC claimed.

The organization said that one worker was even fined for losing his finger while operating a hole punch press."

Its got nothing to do with currency. Which I might convert for you:

0.34 GBP is about 3 or 4 Yuan. This equates to around $0.50 USD... So, some workers are forced to work 15 hour shifts, that makes; 5GBP per day or $7.50 USD and 52.50 Yuan. Thats still **** pay for those kind of conditions, and crap all for even a lowly factory worker in China, this barely covers anything, think of the guys who have families or are studying. I sure as hell know you won't work for that kinda money even if you're uncle was trying to pull favors from you.

This is most definitely NOT OK. Wake up and look around you.

11. 66
    sangriaman

sangriaman Loyal Member

Well then, Zeus is an idiot fanboy, isn't he?

But we all know that, already.

12. 3,748
    MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject Loyal Member

Please....this is the same as "you need to save africa" crap. If this is the treatment these people get in a western sweatshop, can you imagine the horrific conditions they would be subjected to in their local factories?

Microsoft has outsourced their work to a company that is in charge of overseeing their workforce, and hence in charge of their well being. If they are having a lapse of care, then it is their fault not microsoft's. Someone should report this to the chinese government and see how they can fix the situation....wait....THEY DONT EFFING CARE.

Same with africa. Their government is responsible for these people and if they cannot help them then why do we need to feel the guilt/burden and responsibility?

Besides, there are parents working 3 jobs in our countries just trying to keep their homes. How is that any different?

It surprises me how so many of you have such a messiah saviour complex. Like iraq - it is their country, their economy, their business. DO NOT meddle in it.

13. 588
    lostn

lostn Loyal Member

If Microsoft ends ties with this factory, they will gain my utmost respect.

14. 1,808
    Ichijoe

Ichijoe Loyal Member

Ya mean Africa (and not the more Islamic North (Egypt/Libya/Tunisia) and South Africa, actually have a working Government? :eek: lol

I can remember some bloke working for the BBC doing some Documentary thing, offering some Tribal Warrior like a $100.00(USD) Note and got turned down. lol

Before Africa were even to come anywhere near the shadow of the rest of the World, they (Africa), need to seriously start to evolve out of the Hunter/Gatherer stage.

Personally I think Africa's more prosperous neighbors really should take more of a firm hand here and to help bring about this "change", sadly its more politically and FWIW monetarily safer to just turn away and let arseholes like Bob Geldof do there moaning or 'em.

Hell One wonders why we're still not hearing anything about Haiti?
    Perhaps Microsoft will do the right thing and move the 360 Production to a new Factory there (i.e. Haiti), this would surly go along way to help there recovery and give a sizable fraction of the remaining populous a nice clean job.

Wana bet that its not gonna happen?

15. 16
    Kjata

Kjata Loyal Member

Gamer/Security
    It doesn't matter if they're microsoft employees or that of another company that is being contracted by microsoft. The fact that microsoft is contracting to this company and paying them for products, they should be making audits to ensure everything is in working legal order. They can be held liable for operating sweat shops since they are allegedly funding it.