hit tracker

Article: MS: Our games better Nintendo and Sony's

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Jul 18, 2011.

1. 26,553
    Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

WTF?. Halo isn't to Crysis 2 level and Sony games exclusive are much better then 360 games.

2. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

You would guess wrong then, the difference in install base isn't so great that it would cause such differences in games sales; it may play a role, but I would say a small one (if any). For whatever reasons halo and gears sell astronomically better than any ps3 exclusive, and as much as many of us think that they are not worthy of praise or those sales (Well halo at least), it doesn't change the fact that release after release they sell extremely well.

The one true objective gauge to measure a games success is it's sales, so while personally such things mean nothing to me when I'm deciding on what game to buy, as much as I would like to say that Shadow Of the Colossus is a better game than Halo I only have my opinion to back that up.

3. 2,115
    dsav

dsav Loyal Member

too bad ms couldn't keep bioshock an mass effect away from ps3 lol.

anyway yeah gears an halo is all ms has more less, forza too, but honestly really isn't much different from gt.

4. 240
    someoldguy

someoldguy Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    "MS: Our games better Nintendo and Sony's" I'll bet when they implied it, they didn't use half-assed broken English? Damn close to one update a week, it's understandable that you rushed this one out. Has Max Louarn been stuck in jail (again) recently?

5. 36
    mulekick

mulekick Loyal Member

There are so many grammatical errors in Zeus's post that it isn't funny. His summaries are almost useless since you have to guess what he's talking about. It's better to ignore his summary and just read the story via the link. Please answer whether English is Zeus's first language. If it is, then I'd recommend taking some English classes.

6. 568
    NewBeginning

NewBeginning Loyal Member

Some of you guys are forgetting that he's talking about first party-developed titles, not exclusives. That narrows things down a lot. In which case, a lot of what he says is true. For the most part, both companies have a similar amount of titles that have review score averages in the low to mid 90's. Sony has two, Uncharted 2 and Little Big Planet, that have a 95 or above. Other than that, the other first-party games trade blows. One of the big differences comes with averages though. Sony has more first-party games in general and many that got middling review scores (high 70's to mid 80's) than Microsoft does. Warhawk, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Eye of Judgement, Lair, Infamous 1 and 2 etc. while the majority of Microsoft's first party-developed titles are in the 90+ range.

And before the counter-arguments and flaming, first party-developed. For Microsoft, that more or less means Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Fable, and some Kinect games. Crackdown is NOT first-party.

And all this is before sales. When it comes to sales, there's really no argument to be made.

And I'm not gonna talk about Nintendo because they're not competing. Their words, not mine.

Edit: Realized after I wrote this that Gears of War isn't first-party developed either, but Microsoft does own it, so that's really neither here nor there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
  7. 984
    WoIverine

WoIverine Loyal Member

Wb Z, hope things are better.

8. 947
    DSpider

DSpider Loyal Member

Microsoft rep is obviously trolling. Haven't played Gears of War yet but Halo is definitely overrated.

Nintendo is for small children and little girls (and probably old folks homes). Let's see if that changes with Wii U - even though I'm not getting one.

Sony wins hands down, especially if you look at the entire PlayStation library (PSX, PS2, PS3, PSP). There were some very high quality games throughout the timeline. And what did Microsoft came up with ? Maybe a handful or so.

9. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

It's a matter of opinion, personal preference. To be honest I am struggling to think off more than 3 Sony games exclusives I have actually enjoyed and found worth the money even tho I only have exclusives for the PS3, same goes for the 360 tho mainly due to the fact that i loose track of whats exclusive and whats multiplatform. The Wii has the most memorable exlusives for me tho.

So I have been looking at the wikipedia and similar sites exclusive lists to see if any games jump out as game sthat can be considered decent exlusives the rest being unimpressive or boring. For me it's

PS3 - 6
    Demon Souls
    God Of War 3
    Uncharted 2
    Siren (from what I recall of it)
    Wipeout HD/Fury
    Tekken 5: DR

360 - 16
    Alan Wake
    Blue Dragon
    Crackdown
    DOA4
    Forza 3
    Forza 4
    Gears of War 1
    Gears of war 2
    Infinite Undiscovery
    Kameo
    Lost Oddessy
    Mass Effect (I have the PC version now but I played it on 360 first)
    PGR4 ( I have PGR3 with my steering whell but never really played it so can't comment)
    Last Remnant
    Too Human (a love hate game, I did enjoy the first 2 run through tho before I got bored)
    Viva Piñata

Wii - 12
    The Conduit
    DKC
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Madworld
    Mario Kart
    Metroid Prime Trilogy
    New Super Mario Bros
    Red Steel
    Mario Galaxy
    Mario Galaxy 2
    Wii Sports
    Big Brain Accademy

Seems after a search though a few Exclusive lists choosing games I thought stood out as exclusives, it would appear MS do have the lions share for me. I still have far more exclusive Sony games I enjoy than 360 ones that I play ont he PS3, but to be fair the majority of them are PS1 and 2 games. Of course personal opinion, but for me MS and Nintendo have been pulling their fingers out this gen wheras Sony has been dragging it's feet with bland atempts to mimic or outshine the rival exclusives instead of trying to make somthing that stands out in terms of quality (and I don't count LBP in that as while it may stand out, it's little more thana gimic to most, and money I regreted spending). Sony should go back to their old catalogue from the PS1 and 2 and see what they can revive or just get idea's before MS and Nintendo beat hem to it.

This new posting thing is getting on my tit, whatever has been changed means I have to edit reformat after every post ro put paragraphs back in, and my login stuff is now bunched at the side of the screen, seems every change tot he forums makes things worse, the old forums from 3-4 years ago was som much better, no idea why it had to be changed unless someone was bored. I assume it's a problem with IE8 as the layout at least seems to work with Iron.

10. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

First party is highly dependent on how the company making the game is employed by the publisher, for isntance a good many of the so called first party sony and MS dev teams are not so much part of the company as contracted by them. many have already seemingly gone their seperate ways but still make games exclusively for a single platform. To me if it's published by the console maker then it's a first party game, the way the whole system works is to convoluted to try to clearly define it all in black and white so If it's publised by them then they are ones selling it not the likes of EA, Activision etc so first party.

11. 2,651
    kneehighspy

kneehighspy Loyal Member

Early Retirement, Relaxation
    man i really didn't think that this news item would turn into a fan-boy convention../end-sarcasm.

Microsoft has great 1st party titles (exclusives) that i enjoy playing, and Sony has great 1st party titles (exclusives) that i also enjoy playing. neither console is better than the other in my household.

the main subject to take from this thread is that what matters is that we enjoy gaming, period, no matter what platform is used. both my 360 and my ps3 have sat idle for awhile cause I'm finding more enjoyment out of my Pandora handheld, learning assembly programming and enjoying all the great emu's that it (Pandora) runs so well.

but later this year my Pandora will sit idle while some great exclusives are coming to both the 360 and ps3 this fall.

12. 965
    John Crichton

John Crichton Loyal Member

Metacritic says Nintendo is #1 - and you have a lot of casual games like sports and party mixed in there with the hardcore highlights like mario, metroid and zelda. It's also my opinion.

Of course, MS doesn't have too much first party brands. and they don't own gears. but sony did it almost from the scratch with the ps3, because Resistance, Motorstorm, LBP, infamous and Uncharted were completely new IPs. Sequels of R&C, God Of War, Socom, Ape Escape , GT and Killzone did come later, didn't they?

So, MS has Halo and Forza which are great but there has to be more than that. PGR seems to be dead like the Rare brands.They really messed up with Banjo-Kazooie and Perfect Dark, these brands were blockbusters before. And they don't want to publish the next Alan Wake, which was really the best exclusive for the 360. Maybe AW2 will be multiplatform, i really hope it comes.

Also I don't count third-party-exclusives like Vesperia, Last Remnant, and also wouldn't count Second-party-games like Lost Odyssey, were MS only has the publishing rights. I don't know about Sony, but I think Uncharted, Resistance, ... are Sony's IP, even if Sucker Punch, Naughty Dog, ... are considered second party studios. Rare owned Perfect Dark and Banjo as they left Nintendo as a second party studio, but i think MS owns Rare and their IPs, i think. Tell me, if I'm wrong.

It's all about owning an IP and MS is way behind Sony and Nintendo in that case.

13. 965
    John Crichton

John Crichton Loyal Member

No, they don't own Fable and Gears.

Edit: Ok, they own Lionhead, so they shoul own the IP, if it isn't something Molyneux owns personally. But they really don't own Gears, they have only the exclusive publishing rights for 1-3. So Gears 4 could really be multiplattform.

14. 38
    Sallu

Sallu Loyal Member

First I have been rolling on the floor laughing at ur post, that’s exactly we call xbox fanboy, go kid play with ur titty, ur research is such a baseless. Only gamers allowed to dissect my post pls.
    Hmm, a guy who works for Microsoft telling us how great their product is. Are we supposed to be surprised or somehow impressed by the spin represented? Is this news, or advertising?
    Quality of the title means a lot to me. Halo games, of this generation are garbage. Uncharted 2 is THE exclusive game of this gen if you look at quality.
    Sales data certainly backs up Nintendo as the best first party of the generation, while Sony would probably win the media darling award for creating amazing hits like the Uncharted series, Infamous, and LittleBigPlanet..i can go on …. Gears is fun but it's not better than Uncharted or Zelda.
    Uncharted > Gears O War because it trumped GOW by taking its cover system and adding flawless puzzle/platforming areas.
    what MS first party's? Fable, Halo, and Forza? Because that's all they have and none of them have won as many awards as Uncharted 2 or LBP and if they are talking about sales then there you have GT5 with almost 7 million copies sold.
    the only reason xbox 360 numbers are so high is becasue of the RROD and they gave xbox 360s away
    Your arguement is subjective to fanboy fantasy at best. But what would it matter to you? You are blind to the one system only, and wont listen to reason. I love both systems for different reasons, and see no need to bash them.
    Best Sales - Nintendo.
    Best Quality - Sony. Their sales r increasing n will be top in the next year
    I'd say Microsoft is in the middle. They do have more sales right now than Sony but the variety and new IPs just aren't there.
    Look at the charts for monthly sales in units sold + software n get the f**** out of here
    http://www.vgchartz.com/article/87194/monthly-sales-analysis-june-2011-wii-amp-zelda-at-the-top/
    Not even that as per EMEAA Weekly Chart Week Ending 09th Jul 2011 the units sale r as follows
    Wii - 54,506
    PS3 - 47,918
    X360 - 30,04

Think about it before you try to glorify it.
    All I see in your future release lists is Gears of War-Halo-Fable-Forza-Gears​ of War-Halo-Fable-Forza-REPEA​T!
    Dude show me one game that has better quality than one of sony's exclusive games that comes from Microsoft, I really want to know, next time come prepared
    Infamous series
    Twisted Metal
    Uncharted series
    Dust
    The Last Guardian
    Resistance series
    Moto Storm series
    Sly cooper 4
    Little big planet
    bIOSHOCK with move support
    shadow of the clossuss remake
    god of war series for ps3
    GT5
    Rachet n clank series
    Metal gear solid 4
    heavenly sword
    socom series
    Heavy Rain with move
    Disgaea series
    Yakuza series
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Demon Souls
    Siren
    Msanchez/Danight pls correct me if I m wrong.

15. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

Sure my pleasure, first off why do you feel you gotta call the guy an xbot? because he states that in HIS OPINION he likes more ms games than he likes sony games? He stated he likes games from all 3... the only one that looks like an employee here is you.

As far as your list goes, has a Twisted Metal game been released on the ps3? ditto for Last Guardian, Dust, Sly Cooper 4, Shadow Of The Colossus remake? Bioshock with Move support? that just seems like a desperate attempt to inflate the list, MGS series I wouldn't count as exclusives... more so these days. I also wouldn't mention Heavenly Sword as a highlight of the ps3 exclusivity... seems most didn't like it (personally love it, together with Lair... that's my opinion though).

So you have 5 unreleased games (one of which is a remake), 1 (Bioshock) that has no place in an exclusive list, 1 series that has always been multiplatform and now more than ever (MGS), 1 critically and financially mediocre game, and 2 remakes (as good as they may be).

PS. Heck I wouldn't even include Resistance either, specially after the horror stories I've heard from gamers about part 2.

PSS. On the matter of sales... just for fun go on wikipedia, or any other place you can find the info and look at Halo3 sales.

16. 21
    caferacerred

caferacerred Loyal Member

Damn msanchez!! you are the true definition of a loser, Get out of your grandma's basement, and get a god damn life for **** sake!!

17. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

In all fairness to microsoft. It was based of their metacritc scoring and they have usually done better.

People say gt 5, resistance etc etc... but yet most of those games ranked mid 80`s. There is a couple exceptions though.

People can hate on halo 3.... im not even a halo fan myself but was a huge UT fan on PC. So i get why its big and fun to play. But Take all sonys exclusive FP`ers roll the player counts into 1 and halo probably has more gamers and has more hours played than those combined. Thats not to rag on those other games.

But people crap on halo when in truth its 1 of the only games and gear of war did to, that actually gave cod a run for its money this gen in players playing and hours played. But if you look at metacritic and Microsoft does pull so good scores but so does nintendo.

18. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

I will... maybe.... someday.... possibly....NAH! I like it down here it's nice and cool :p

19. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

microsoft has roughly 33 in the 90`s
    http://www.metacritic.com/browse/ga...box360?year_selected=&sort=desc&view=detailed

sony has roughly 28 titles in the 90`s (look in the 80`s to find many of ps`s major first party titles)
    http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/ps3?sort=desc&view=detailed

But both have very impressive lines ups when you look at 70 ratings +
    But when you think multi platform its usually a safe bet to think the 360 version is better.

Thats why the xbox 360 has pretty much always had the highest attach rate. maybe it changed. But for years and years 360 was untouchable there.

20. 888
    wewii

wewii Loyal Member

• Gears of War will never be on PS3, so 360 wins by default in my book.
    • Also 360 is better for FPS/3rdPS.
    • I've been a hardcore Epic Games fan since Unreal Tournament & the campaign based Unreal games on PC.
    • Your book might be different. So everyone wins. :p

ps... Im really getting pissed off at all the formatting bugs in this forum after the pretty GUI upgrade. Please fix it.