hit tracker

Article: NGP to be 'downgraded' for price reasons

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, May 27, 2011.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 353
    Wakutan

Wakutan Loyal Member

Most people saw that coming. Come on, we are talking about Sony here.

Aw well, the PS3 got at least sold on the market before Sony went stripping down its features.

3. 241
    knarlockk

knarlockk Loyal Member

Yeah, at least they didn't sell it to us first and then start taking things from us. 256 MB of ram, that's half of what my phone has!!

4. 6,626
    tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

What's the point of the other unit including higher RAM then?

Devs are just going to make games which are designed to run on the lower end system to increase the potential market.

5. 5,605
    Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    LOL Yes. Its normal that Sony downgrades the hardware before launch. They will do the same for PS4. The first specs will be awesome, while the final is like.. OK.

As for PS3, Sony stripped down PS3 before launch too. They removed dual video out, PS2 support on most models among other things. They removed other things in PS3 too, but i dont remember what it was now. That was before it was on sale too.

6. 156
    CalaMocha

CalaMocha Loyal Member

Studding
    Exactly this makes me seriously doubt the source of this "rumor" sony couldn't possibly be this stupid. Or could they?:confused:

7. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

What seems silly to me is that people will only end up paying the same prices low or high end. Remove the internal storage and have gamers buy propriety memory cards or keep the storage resulting in the same price. The only difference is going be outdated voiceless 3G support and a contract.

This looks like an exercise to match prices with Nintendo while lowering losses but since the 3DS is already profitable Nintendo will probably dump the price right after their first holiday season and make Sony look bad anyway.

8. 725
    Hamsterman-SWE

Hamsterman-SWE Loyal Member

they removed the digital camera memory card reader and emotion engine. and if that wasn't enough they removed the backwards compatibility.

9. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

You cannot be seriously doubting sony stupidity.

I remember thinking that when sony added more ram to the psp slims that they were secretly giving the homebrew scene a little help... yeah, I know, I know.. what was I thinking?

Truth be told, I find it ridiculous that they must always do this now. I mean seriously does this bunch always have to backtrack? They really should cage the monkeys in lab coats who are writing their statements. Anyways, I was in the market for a portable nazistation this wouldn't really influence my decision. I have no problems what they do "BEFORE" I buy the thing since when I buy something I usually have educated myself properly to make the decision.

Anyways, I don't feel like leasing a console next gen, so I guess sony will be missing out :p

10. 209
    custm_made

custm_made Loyal Member

shid, ill pay the exta $$$ for it not to be stripped down. Excellent gameplay can not be compromised by price.

11. 0
    Squirrel61

Squirrel61 Guest

Well, that's only pre-launch. The real downgrades will come after many people have bought it.

12. 3,748
    MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject Loyal Member

Typical sony. They showcase a garganthuan hardware, and then cut it back till its a shadow of its initial self by release. The thing is the fools who would have fallen for the initial hype wouldnt even know the difference.

besides, I hardly think sony can even AFFORD to release premium hardware anymore. Perhaps money should not have been invested into those lawsuits afterall.

13. 284
    tokitai

tokitai Loyal Member

You buy a Ps3 at your local store, you get a Ps2 when you reach home, one that can't even play ps2 games...

14. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

Within reason, I also agree (hence why I bought a ps3 @$500 the moment a game I wanted was released)... the only problem is that a great majority believes exactly the opposite of what you stated, a clear indication of this is early wii sales vs 360/ps3 ones. Not to mention whitin the group that is most pissed at sony is precisely the ones that dropped $500+ on their ps3s, so if they have one lone brain cell that is functioning at even a retarded level... they better make their consoles hella affordable.

15. 447
    urmaster

urmaster Loyal Member

Nope it was supposed to have dual display output via 2 HDMI ports.

16. 92
    VampiricDragon_

VampiricDragon_ Loyal Member

rumors are rumors

a 300 price is still being reported.

17. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

.... which is ok?.... :confused:

18. 1,952
    CZroe

CZroe Loyal Member

Security guard and student
    Home Page:
    http://
    Memory is cheap and even iPods have 512MB, so I don't believe they'll be cutting memory capacity. I don't doubt that there will be some cut-backs. I remember when the PS3 was supposed to be capable of 1080p in all games with dual HDMI an dual GbE! It seem most of you forgot about dual GbE.

19. 30
    waynew2298

waynew2298 Loyal Member

1GB of ddr3 memory chip doesn't even cost more then $10. If I can pay $300 for a NGP, I won't care another $10-20 extra for more memory.
    However, Sony just want its be-loved customers pay extra $$ for an over price NGP memory stick(I am not sure the name for it, it is something close to SD card, but probably 10x more expansive)

20. 467
    chrisprocter01

chrisprocter01 Loyal Member

Engineer
    good god, this is just nuts
    Three dog you called it there man

the price of RAM is peanuts these days, i think the Ram being cut is bull ****, i bet its more likely the processor will be downgraded to save costs