hit tracker

Article: NGP to be 'downgraded' for price reasons

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, May 27, 2011.

1. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

In favour of what exactly? I don't see anything said about dropping it.. I have mentioned aspects of using the memory and pointing out where gamers could be paying more money though.

One of the great/fun things about this early speculation is you get to look back and see how much the leakers got right and how well your own conclusions have panned out.

2. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

... wait... so hackers are now mounting a smear campaign against sony...?????.... OH LULZZZZZZZZZ!

3. 4,415
    JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

A few things to note for people, sure you can get X amount of RAM for cheap. The problem is that while RAM is cheap for one chip, Sony isn't going to be buying 1 chip. Sony will be buying this RAM in quantities that will blow your mind and at that point saving even a penny adds up to a ton of cash.

Economics they have to find the least amount of RAM that they believe developers can make great games on, nothing more.

Developers always want more RAM, developers hate having to clean up code or spend time on optimizing when they could be using that time to make another game to sell. Programmers have a saying "Hardware is cheap and plentiful my time is not."

Consumers, they want it to be whizzbang until they see the price tag then they settle for what they can afford. Dropping some RAM gives Sony a shot at being a little of both worlds.

I really think the next gen systems should include upgradeable RAM like the N64 did, with the software techniques they have now and the hardware, the games would hardly require any more work for 2 different RAM configurations. Maybe a program to down sample the textures while they are loading for the lesser amount of RAM and just raw (still compressed) textures for the expanded RAM system.

4. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

If i recall it was meant to have a Gb network hub in it, tho that was one of the first things they removed well before launch.

I'm always dubious of claims made before launch, 99.9% of the time they never live up to their claims, Still waiting for the PS3 to show this so called hidden power it has that everyone has gone on about, to show the power of cell for gaming, which seems to be no better than other CPU's even on exclusives that can fully utilise it. I expect it will be cut down from previously mentioned with excuses after to say things like SD cards can be used for swap files to replace ram or some other garbage.

As has been mentioned tho, ram is the shortfall of all consoles, and it's a brick wall they all hit very soon, so to neuter it form an already small ammount to an even smaller one before launch would be idiotic even tho it would save millions, it could loose them even more in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2011
  5. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

Just in case, I meant flash memory... don't know why I said ram. Anyways, my issue is with the no internal memory bit. The amount of ram doesn't really bother me, I'm sure devs will make do with what they're given... if they have the interest and incentive to do it anyways.

6. 30
    waynew2298

waynew2298 Loyal Member

Well, as long as you can JB the NGP, and there are some HK made private memory stick media available, I will go for it. Rather we like it or not, Sony will stripe of the Spec anyway.

7. 4,415
    JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

No internal storage isn't too much of a loss when in my opinion, I mean sure its nice but there never seems to be enough of the stuff lol and anything that keeps devs from releasing buggy games and charging for "DLC" is a plus in my book :)

I think flash memory is RAM in a way (at least in the normal definition of the word it is Random Access Memory.) but when I think of RAM I think of system RAM. I think Sony cutting them both is somewhat of a shame but Sony has to cut some corners these days.

8. 194
    nestortoy@hotma

[email protected] Loyal Member

I hope they don't... but they might have to because people with no money will start crying that its to expensive...

9. 30
    waynew2298

waynew2298 Loyal Member

I would rather they take the touch pad on back panel off in that case.

10. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Same, that is the most gimicky part of the device. Have to wonder if that's how Sony plans to continue making money through repairs. At one point he has so little grip he is simply wielding it with the skin of his index features.

Their plan was probably to offset the wow factor of Nintendo devices by showing families rubbing their NGPs together. I don't think they need to do that now since Nintendo did not make some massive innovative jump in how games are played, they went with visual enhancement.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2016
  11. 30
    waynew2298

waynew2298 Loyal Member

That back touch panel surely is the only stupid design on NGP. Imagine how you maintain a solid grip while both of your middle fingers are accessing the back touch panel; your ring fingers and little fingers are the only 4 left for base support. Just try that on your PSP, see how firm you can grip it with your thumbs, ring fingers and little fingers in the middle of game playing.

Anyway, Sony might not expect we repair our device after all. Many people own more then one PSP, that would be the case Sony loves to see.

12. 947
    DSpider

DSpider Loyal Member

No. Leave the back touch pad alone. If they split it into 4 symmetrical parts you get virtually 4 extra buttons. If they split it into 6 (3 on each side) you get an extra 6, and maybe one extra in the middle for something you don't use very often (like a map, objectives menu, etc).

13. 2,243
    {{909}}

{{909}} Loyal Member

most people dont even know the console is coming out, let alone its specs. This will have no effect on the sales of the machine at all. Its bad for any devs that have already put work into any projects that will have to adjust them to suit the lower spec though, as the 3DS is proving, strong software is always an asset.

14. 949
    Signa

Signa Loyal Member

Agreed. That panel could be the NGP's saving grace with its lack of dual shoulder buttons.

15. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

It's going to be a pointless feature everyone is forced to use when the buttons work just fine.. just like the touch screen on the front too. Sony will be telling developers.. use the touch screen.. use the touch pad.. don't offer alternatives. Gamers will be saying.. this game is shite why can't we use the buttons. Developers will be saying.. our customers don't like these features it makes the gameplay worse. May as well remove it and put two more shoulder buttons in and put rubber grips in it's place.

16. 947
    DSpider

DSpider Loyal Member

You don't know that.

I have an iPod touch 2G and let me tell you, some games are absolutely genius to play with a touch screen, except sometimes your fingers get in the way (and that's why the rear touch pad is a friggin sweet idea).

17. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Things like that are fine for poorer mobile phone games but when it comes to real games they have no place. As you saw from the demonstration video, it will be used for pointless features in mainstream games that simply did not need changing.

Is there any point in removing your hands from the buttons and sticks just to press the screen to jump over something? Is there any point in completely rebalancing the handheld just so you can rub your hands on the back of the device to climb a rope when existing controls will be for satisfactory?

I do know that, just look how many people still know that mobile games will never be on the same level due to the lack of buttons, look how many people said they wish they could play X game on the DS with the buttons instead, look how well Move has gone down even with buttons.. Heck this is the company that forced the developers of Heavy Rain to scrap all of their DLC which would fill in gaping plot holes and finish the story just so they could add Move controls, Which many people agreed were poorer than using the controller.

We're not playing angry birds here, You try playing a Grand Theft Auto game where every time you steal a car you have to rub the trackpad to insert the screwdriver and then have to touch the screen to connect the wires and then go back to the controls to drive, Yeah that **** is going to happen.

18. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

I can see how for home console games the rear touch pad could be handy, as an analogue throttle, but even then it's a weak approach, that game shown using it is likey to be the highlight of it's use much like the free game that comes with the MS live cam.

The only real use for it would be if it works a controller on the PS3 or 4, but then how often would that be a feature on a non default controll scheme and lets be fair, the touch screen would be the better option.

19. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

true, but then back buttons would be so much better and easier to use not to mention can be more accurately pressed.

20. 315
    sens8

sens8 Loyal Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011