hit tracker

Article: Playstation gaming tablet due September, to cost $599

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 16, 2011.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 209
    custm_made

custm_made Loyal Member

If they sell it for $450 then i'll def get one. until then, $600 isn't really worth it for a tablet.

3. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

this is getting dumb.... playstation gaming tablet???? really?????
    just like psp2 or playstation phone????? its bs market rumor names. Its like viral marketing.

So what it plays ps1 games? So everything that plays ps1 games is a playstation thing now?

Anyone who cant see this is pure whoring of the playstation name is blind. As the rock said "even a blind folded stuck in the basement stevie wonder" could see this.

we dont call a win7 phone a portable xbox because it can do some xbox live stuff. lets not market everything sony makes a playstation device.

4. 1,086
    Anil8tr

Anil8tr Loyal Member

My laptop plays PS2 games (emulator not compatibal w/all; but several yes). Best thing is I already own it. Just saying...

5. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
    seems like sony hasnt done ANY consumer research on wtf they are doing lately. i dont recall many people hoping for a playstation phone, an overpowered handheld or a playstation tablet.

i do recall people hoping sony wouldnt abandon the ps3 after it got hacked and it seems like thats exactly what sony is doing. to me it seems like they are stretching themselves pretty thin considering the market for all these devices could be very small.

unless its an android table or an ios tablet, who gives a ****. if it is an android tablet, then why cant sony just release an app for those tablets?

like i said in the ngp thread, i was predicting sony was taking the apple route and it sure as **** looks like thats happening now. too bad for sony apple is a one of a kind company and likely the only one who can pull it off. apple fanboys have been getting bigger in numbers by the day where as sony fanboys have been diminishing over the years, and in my opinion thats the only kind of person who would buy a device like this.

again, looks like sony hasnt done any market research (polls on the official playstation forums arent a good place to get data from unless its negative towards sony).

6. 231
    xxsnipexx

xxsnipexx Loyal Member

No Occupation
    Home Page:
    http://www.unigaming.net
    What are you talking about iLLNESS? Sony stepping into more current and newer markets to attract different groups and scenes is their way of competition.

You may not be so 'hyped' for it, but someone in this world is willing to try this technology and see how it preforms.

Xperia Play will combat mobile phone gaming to counter Apple's gaming apps, and with Andriod becoming a favored phone OS, why not?

Again, Sony's tablet 'code named S1' will combat Microsoft's and Apple's own tablets and probably direct it towards a gaming genre.

Sony is a hardware distributor giant, this was the best thing for the company.

7. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

best thing im not so sure about. everyone is getting on the tablet phone bus and its gets packed. Only so many can succeed while others will lose big time in R&D and other costs.

Nintendo and microsoft play nice compared to apple. Apple will slice sonys throat and given the chance. Apple and google are getting HUGE, to HUGE for their own good and they don't care who they step on to do it. Sony plays tuff to, in the TV market and dvd markets, buts sony has been making phones for a while and no one has cared. Its not gonna be easy for sony to bust into the spot light of either market.
    I doubt a ps1 emu is gonna be the app that does it either.

If anything id consider this phone and tablet to be more beta tests.

remember when Sony didnt wanna get into a spending war with microsoft? Well look at apple and google and you have 2 way more aggressive companies that have teeth and love to bite. not to mention apple fans are pretty freaking loyal and growing by the day.

But i agree sony has its hands in way to many markets and the playstation name is gonna get watered down if they let gaming sites brand everything a playstation device.

8. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
    yeah i can see it now... sonys new tablet will take on about the same market share away from apple as sonys mp3 players have. apple is getting real jealous and sweating already. oh wait, no they arent because sony in the past has never been able to succeed in any market without buying or having exclusive rights. this isnt sonys first device that isnt a tv related item or a gaming device. theyve tried it all in the past, only difference is now they are using the playstation name. sony is a few years too late for this, theyve now managed to ruin the playstation name with all the bullshit theyve been pulling with the ps3 since launch.
    personally (and im sure im not the only one who isnt crazy here) i dont forsee apple developers who charge $1 for games/apps and android devs who dev for a hobby or a $1 app going exclusive with sony.

like i said, sony is just pulling the apple approach and it isnt going to work. sony needs to learn you just cant copy everything another company does and put the sony name on it. this isnt the 80s or 90s anymore, the sony name doesnt mean much of anything anymore.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2011
  9. 194
    nestortoy@hotma

[email protected] Loyal Member

I thought you would be smart enough to know that every company copies everyone. Its all about who can make it better. No one gives a **** who did what first.

10. 6
    CemAygun

CemAygun Loyal Member

I believe Sony is just trying to milk the last drops from the PlayStation brand. Personally I don't believe there is a single company or brand that deserves any kind of customer loyalty in the market nowadays... I just buy what suits my needs at the time being. They don't care, so why should you...

The so claimed "diversity" of the market inevitably led to inefficiency. What happened to Move or Kinect that we were bombarded with just a couple of months ago? They made the sales and simply "move"d on (pun intended) If you consider the 2011 line ups for motion controlled gaming, it is evidently dead; abandoned along with the early purchasers.

I personally choose not to fuel this madness with my hard earned cash. I will wait until this sickening marketing hysteria is over and I know what is real and what is not. I simply refuse to be victimized any more...

11. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

I wanted to have something really good to say about this.. instead I'll just attempt to stop laughing.

12. 13,435
    billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    [​IMG]

nothing more to say.

13. 2,358
    QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

Other companies should not take the Apple approach in business. You need to have a big cult of sheep.

14. 687
    NeoNight

NeoNight Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    no...

no way ...

This has to be a joke.

I mean come on...

The price is $599. There's no way this is serious.

15. 720
    Ahmed_p800

Ahmed_p800 Loyal Member

Communication Engineer @Nokia MEA
    What The.....

Companies are overloading the Market with gaming devices, this is pretty bad.

Man, I miss the good old days when we only had couple of consoles and handhelds.

Nowadays, every company wants a piece of the pie....:(

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
  16. 467
    chrisprocter01

chrisprocter01 Loyal Member

Engineer
  17. 107
    swolern

swolern Loyal Member

Only chance it has is if it gets glasses-free 3d...

18. 317
    CannonFodder

CannonFodder Loyal Member

Sony is going all out with the Playstation brand. Looks like they are pushing this really hard to expand the brand and consumers. Good to see that they have some strategy especially with the Playstation Certified they are hoping many more companies will jump on the band wagon. This is called viral marketing.

19. 1,405
    unwanted

unwanted Loyal Member

So going by what Sony did with the PS3 in the UK, the UK will be charged something like £1200... go for it Sony... :rolleyes:

20. 947
    DSpider

DSpider Loyal Member

I just want to say one thing to those who don't capitalize the first word from a sentence: I'M NOT READING YOUR POSTS, LA LA LA LA LA. If you don't think your message isn't worth reading, then I'm not going to read it. Properly format your text, ffs ! Use the god damn spell checker.

That is all. Resume your reading.