hit tracker

Article: PS3 now beating Xbox 360 globally by 500k units, data says

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Apr 4, 2011.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 53
    dazbobaby

dazbobaby Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.mess-hall.co.uk/forum
    With Sony's main bluray factory still out of commision in Japan, I can't see the lead lasting for much longer.

3. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
    weird. according to official numbers from sony and ms a month or so ago, the ps3 sold over 4million ps3s and ms sold 0 360s since that time. weird considering the 360 is still outselling the ps3 month on month.

4. 123
    Jish

Jish Loyal Member

The study states that this is "installed user base" which I have no idea how they come to those conclusions since the only real way to know is if they logged network connections. However that isn't at all accurate since only roughly 50% of consoles are connected to the internet/respective networks. It is even further retarded by assuming that 99% of the manufactured PS3's are "active".

Having said that, I think the war on consoles is pretty stupid anyway. Both PS3 and 360 won't catch up to the Wii, but that doesn't make either one a failure. They both make a tremendous amount of profit on the games they sell and will should be considered successful platforms regardless of console rank.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
  5. 86
    Asgaro

Asgaro Loyal Member

Stop thinking that America = the world.

Sony is way bigger in both Europe and Asia.

6. 447
    urmaster

urmaster Loyal Member

Trust me if SONY sold 4 mill PS3s in America alone they would showing those numbers everywhere! Also I think the gap between European and American sales can't be that great owing to the late luanch and royal screwing.

The numbers are probably about right; this is userbase not consoles sold as Jish pointed out, I don't even begin to know how they worked out these numbers.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
  7. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

I don't think the ps3 is selling at a pace where that will be a problem, at least not for another few months.

I expect the ps3 to eventually overtake the 360, but I won't say it's happened yet. I do however think that now it's a much closer race.

8. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

sony court documents from a month or two ago said 41million units. these numbers are just the usual fudgery by analysts. im technically an analyst and i say these numbers are not even close.

iLLNESS Patcher claims ms has a lead of at least 1 million or more worldwide.

the ps3 may overtake the 360 worldwide, but it still doesnt help the crappier sales and crappier ports :eek:

9. 26,553
    Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

Sony have to say thanks to piracy. If you think, no piracy until some weeks ago, most expansive add rrod in 360. It is a great result.

10. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

My maths may not be the best but 50 odd milion sales of 360's at around the time of the 41 mill sony court documents, that sparked a debate as to how sony could have fallen so far behind, not to mention was a genuine suprise from me at eh drop int he constand 3-4 mill gap, doesn't put the PS3 ahead even if all 360 sales had stopped since december if it's only 43.4 mill. It's even more apparent as there is somthin not quite right here witht hes numbers as there was also the big thing at the time that sony wouldn't release there sales figures for christmas or NPD figuers or whatever, while MS were actually stating numbers sold, not shipped. The worrying thing is if the PS3 numbers are accurate, then the 4.1 mill was likley accurate for the time it was revealed and not as many of us had hoped, previous full quater numbers (so that the full ammount at the time would have been significantly more).

I couldn't give a rats arse either way as owning both I get the goodies whatevr one is in first place, but somthning certainly seems off here, even in the original article. I suspect MS will clarify the 50 mill if this article gains an mommentum.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2011
  11. 317
    CannonFodder

CannonFodder Loyal Member

PLaystation will always be the "to go to" console for hard core gamers. They have proven this with PS1, PS2 and now with PS3 for 25 years. This is why Playstation will always be great and will get support from the masses. After all the PS2 is the best selling console of all time with over 160 million consoles sold, it is the reigning champion.

12. 86
    Asgaro

Asgaro Loyal Member

Don't forget this people: the Xbox360 had a failure rate of 1/4.

And the replacement consoles are also in those numbers.

I'm not saying that 1/4th of the sales are simply replacements but we should think about it.

13. 0
    jamsplodge

jamsplodge Guest

I don't understand why would it be the "go to" console for hardcore gamers. Hardcore gamers = know what's what. At the moment, PS3 has a crappy controller, lots of crappy ports and not that many great exclusives. I got one looking forward to playing all the exclusives I had missed out on from owning a 360 and was nothing but underwhelmed.

14. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

replacement consoles are not in those numbers as that is illegal, just because fanboys would like to think that. A replacement is not a sale and if they tried that they would be sued left right and centre by shareholders no to mention likley sued by most countries trading commisions for fraudulantly releasing sales numbers and so misleading shareholders and the like. Only a sale is sale, simple as that, which is why bundled copies of games are not counted in copies of games sold, or else the likes of Wii Sports would be number one seller of all time.

try again

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2011
  15. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

I'm thinking that either VGChartz is way way way off on their numbers (I know they are not spot on but give or take a few % and they are accurate enough for a general idea of market share), we are talking near 20% off or somthing about this "study" is not taking into account the likes of the US for the total numbers.

VGC has
    Wii - 86.2 mill
    360 - 52.8 mill
    PS3 - 49.1 mill

Thats kind of measures up with with numbers released by all 3 over the past 12 months, and has the same gap we have had between the PS3 and 360 since the PS3 launched 3-4 mill.

16. 86
    Asgaro

Asgaro Loyal Member

I didn't know this, thx for clearing this up than.

17. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

mike tyson used to be a heavy weight champion back in the day.

18. 2,115
    dsav

dsav Loyal Member

he's still champion.....lol.

:cool:

19. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

This has only proven they are not using real numbers as the company released numbers and other sources tell a different story, I hardly think Sony would sell themselves short if they were really ahead of MS, wouldn't you with you love of everything PS agree that Sony would make a big deal of this themselves, not some clearly incompetant 3rd party survey.

By the way, I wasn't aware that the PS1 was released to compete with master system and NES 25 years ago. Try 15 or about that.

20. 984
    WoIverine

WoIverine Loyal Member

Haha! I'd lmao if the PSN downtime pushes MS ahead.