hit tracker

Article: Sony: Hackers just want our games for free

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by Zeus, Jun 29, 2011.

By Zeus on Jun 29, 2011 at 3:15 PM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com

Comments

Discussion in 'General Undergound Newz' started by Zeus, Jun 29, 2011.

1. 146
      Vik Abominae X

Vik Abominae X Loyal Member

Oh, and before I hear about "What about those scientific institutions that bought server farms of PS3s to use as linked supercomputers"? I remember hearing about that one when Other OS was removed. Guess what? Anyone who has the PS3s for that purpose IS NOT going to be connecting them to PSN, thus they can stay Other OS enabled. Sure, they won't be getting new PS3 Slims to use for such a purpose, but then again, why not get a PC for that? That is not the purpose of a PS3! A PS3 is a gaming console/home entertainment device (Blu-ray player, media center, game console, network multimedia client). It is not a PC, as one thinks of a Windows or completely customizable Linux machine.

2. 146
      Vik Abominae X

Let's put it this way. Can you LEGALLY go back in and enable features that Microsoft has disabled in Windows, not by using 3rd-party programs which add features to Windows like enabling Rar support by installing Winrar (which don't exist for PS3), but by modifying the copy/code of Windows itself? Can you make a modified Windows OS software and legally distribute it? I would say no. That is what "Windows Genuine Advantage" tools and CD-Keys prevent. That is what really, ANY Custom Firmware is doing. It is taking a commercial release and modifying it.

Sony's Firmwares for PS3 are commercial software and modifying commercial software and distributing it without permission is illegal. Period.

By the way, what is the most-downloaded PS3 homebrew software? If I had my guess, it would be the "Multi-man" file manager, which is primarily used for loading "Back-up" (read: Pirated, illegal, torrented, downloaded) PS3 games off of a HDD. Shows you how much these people love homebrew, eh? Yeah people want legal software on PS3! No, they want "back-up managers" (read: Pirate-game players) and emulators (free old-school games - I mean, you see people asking for a PS1 Emulator for PS3 - come on, how much more OBVIOUS do you have to be that you want to be able to play pirated ISO's of PS1 discs, since ANY PS3 plays PS1 discs by DEFAULT)...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2011
    3. 673
      put4558350

put4558350 Loyal Member

by disable other os sony only made one more reason to hack ps3

4. 146
      Vik Abominae X

Yeah, an excuse pirates could use to rally people around them and say "we don't want piracy on PS3! No! We just want Other OS back! Yeah!" (Meanwhile, let's just conveniently make it really easy to enable piracy and even release "Backup managers" to allow people to run "legally-owned backup copies" of software "that they own" off of a PC USB HDD.

Other OS removal was just the PERFECT excuse for the people hacking the PS3 to use to make themselves not look like the criminals that they were/are.

But we don't want piracy, no....lol...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2011
    5. 673
      put4558350

put4558350 Loyal Member

on windows you can write your own program and run your own program inside windows in console we call homebrows in mobile we call app in windows we call program. it's extend features of it's host as much as you might already know

run legally-owned backup software is a reason to hack ps3.
      load game form hdd add one reason to hack ps3.
      piracy add one good reason to hack ps3.
      get other os is add another reason to hack ps3.

6. 6,627
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

After Sony removed/blackmailed OOS from us, frankly I think they deserve to have the **** beaten out of them.

To say that hackers only want free games though is wrong though IMO, it's always the homebrew/linux hackers who do the best work. Piracy always comes after them because they have to tear down the security to be able to get linux/homebrew.

In fact I bet that if OOS was in all PS3s right now, the situation would be different.

7. 711
      trancehead

trancehead Loyal Member

Laboratory Technician
      Until someone exploits the media center or something and they decide to remove it.
      because after all, statistically more people use it to play games than as a media center.

8. 1,044
      mattias800

mattias800 Loyal Member

I don't get it. Are you arguing semantics? They aren't talking about Geohotz, they're talking about all the people who hacked their PS3's using the hacks developed by hackers. I'd argue that 99% of all people who have modified their PS3 play pirated games. If not 100%.The lack of homebrew is a large indicator of this. I'd love to have more homebrew and emulators but it seems people (gamers or dev) aren't all that interested in it. Multiman on the other hand..So why do people hack their PS3's? To get free content. Quite obvious. Sony are correct.

9. 1,044
      mattias800

mattias800 Loyal Member

Well actually, the Cell is very well suited for mathematical calculations (as opposed to general purpose computations) which makes it a perfect match for scientific farms.
      And arguing the definition of the PS3 seems kind of pointless. It is a CPU with a CPU with some RAM, it can be used for tons of stuff. If Sony allows it.

10. 725
      Hamsterman-SWE

Hamsterman-SWE Loyal Member

So you say that geohot hacked his ps3 just to play pirated software instead of using other OS?
      Then tell me why the original geohot hack don't play pirated software and the modified code play the pirated software.
      And tell us that sony is right in this one don't make any sense at all.
      If I go out to buy a horse today with sonys name on it and give them meat instead of hay, sony would burst into flames and say that they are trying to ride on the horse with pirated meats.

11. 1,626
      Nocuddle

Nocuddle Loyal Member

Im hacking my PS3 so I can play those shiets games for free.

BUT I will buy my next Uncharted 3 & Resistance 3 games. I've got the originals of the previous prequel.

So just let me go online with my jailbreak PS3 to play those 2 games pretty plllzzzzzzzz s0ny???

12. 1,044
      mattias800

mattias800 Loyal Member

Since your first assumption is wrong, the rest of your post is pointless. Did you even read my post?

To reiterate myself:
      "They aren't talking about Geohotz, they're talking about all the people who hacked their PS3's using the hacks developed by hackers."

13. 1,044
      mattias800

mattias800 Loyal Member

That is the most retarded comparison I've read in quite some time.

14. 711
      trancehead

trancehead Loyal Member

Laboratory Technician
      LMAO, yeah ditto, sony horsestation, it only eats everything.

15. 80
      fuuuuuu

fuuuuuu Loyal Member

Hmm?

Maybe I was given some dodgy knock off but my Fat came bundled with Yellow Dog in the retail box with full simple instructions to install it. :confused:

16. 26,553
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

Free games?. Not a bad idea.

17. 2,115
      dsav

dsav Loyal Member

hackers want the challenge and fame, most anyway.

piracy is just a by product usually, (but yeah a good amount of people want it) if it's possible then it will be there and many people will take advantage of it.

nuff said.

18. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

I admit I didn't read your post entirely, but I just like to point out that right there you proved to be arguing a different point. Essential, optional, irrelevant, doesn't matter what OtherOS was to you, me, or anybody else. The point is we had the option and it was taken away from us. That you used it or not, is the one thing that is truly irrelevant.

The 360's dominant software sales would seem to argue against this. Never before has it been so clear just how little effect piracy has on a consoles software sales. We had 2 consoles that had "rampant" piracy dominate software sales while the "secure" console was lagging behind.

Of course, I won't deny that even people who don't pirate might try out a game even if it's a rip of a game that they own (not really piracy I guess). I'll agree that the majority wants to play free games, but not 99% and most certainly not 100%

19. 690
      Mchief298

Mchief298 Loyal Member

Why is Sony still so one sided about this? They're like a coin... That no matter how many times you flip it, even if you cheated you'd still get heads.... Let's be honest here. Hacking your shitty servers and breaking your shitty security isn't piracy... Not in the slightest. Not to mention, your sales have always been poor anyway.. Even for being the untouched console for so many years. Don't give yourself a big ego.. You haven't innovated the market. You're not in the lead, and you're definitely not favorable over Microsoft. Especially not right now... Your security is breached and you cry to your lawyers instead of taking the money and putting it toward something better.. Hell you could have even hired GeoHot and them to prevent future horrors like that..

20. 66
      realshompa

realshompa Loyal Member

People forget that PS3 was hacked with the Linux/other boot option.It was first after this hack that Sony removed OtherOS. So: if some stupid hacker had not hacked the system, we still could run Linux on PS3. BTW: Linux was always useless on PS3 since the the hypervisor blocked part of GPU/CPU. Still: It is proved that piracy only cost companies 5%. People who pirate stuff would not buy the stuff if they did not pirate it.