hit tracker

Article: Sony: PS3 and Vita can match Wii U

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Jun 8, 2011.

1. 449
    osnoozeo

osnoozeo Loyal Member

lol dont hold your breath!

2. 1,044
    mattias800

mattias800 Loyal Member

I couldn't have said it better myself.
    PS3+Vita can probably do this. Mac + iPad can do this. PC + iPad can do this. PC + Android can do this. GC + GBA can do this, GC + DS can do this? PC + PSP can do this.
    The point isn't what is technically possible, but what will actually be done.

No way developers are gonna start pushing out awesome features for a system combination that reduces their potentially market by a big number.
    They are gonna start pushing out awesome features for a system combination that everyone in the market has! No one will own a Wii U without that controller, thus, there is designing the game around that controller.

This will not be true for any of the combinations I mentioned above, and therefor, it wont get developer (or financial) support. Implication: It will only happen on Wii U, regardless of what Sony says.

3. 94
    thedove75

thedove75 Loyal Member

may jesus clean your heart

4. 4,415
    JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

Could not have said it better myself.

5. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

Actually he has a very good point. The only problem for the SDF is that they'll be getting ports of wii u games since that will undoubtedly be the lead platform for any games that use the feature.

In other words, maybe by trying to suck on ninty's leftovers the ps3 will see some action, but I wouldn't expect anything great from it. Besides, it's not like we are seeing all those wii ports to the ps3 now that move is here... so it's not necessarily going to work out.

6. 5,961
    DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

While I have no doubt Sony will try to cash in on this, I doubt it will make waves, insignificant install base and likley relying on devs to work out the implimentation and software on their own will have it as little more than a token atempt just so they can say they can do it, tho I doubt it will be anything more than that, and certainly nothing worth buying the combo for.

Well at least we know what to expect from the PS4 and Xbox3, if this works then both will have controllers that do this and no doubt MS are likley eyeing this up as a potential way to get into the handheld market.

If this proves successfull I can see portable console and home console no longer being seperate entities, but a combo you get when you buy the home console (tho I suspect the portable market will still be there from buying the controller on it's own).

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2011
  7. 0
    Squirrel61

Squirrel61 Guest

Of course they can match this. They already could have set the standard, instead of becoming followers, if they had kept their promise a few years ago. I remember, when the PS3 was announced, Sony promised that the PSP could be used as a wireless intelligent super controller for the system. But they never made it. Now Nintendo has outsmarted them.

8. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

Precisely, like many things sony, they gave it a half-assed attempt... actually strike that, since they never really MADE any actual attempt, they just said they would do it.

In the end I think this is nintendo's forte, people called the wii innovative, by strict definition of the word it's right, but most mean it like nintendo "invented" motion controls... their achievement was making it a standard. Same thing will happen with this probably, they may, or may not have invented it (sony definitely didn't), but they will make it the standard.

9. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

remember back to E3 06 (most hilarious e3 ever). Sons answer to mation control was 6 axis. Sonys camera was used for a card game. Then fast forward a few years and then sony needs wands to do what Nintendo does using the camera and sixaxis was pretty much a flop.

I wont buy into sonys hype until they PROVE they can do it! Sad thing is hackers will probably prove it first and make it work better than sony does. But as said. Nintendo makes it standard. Combine the price of ngp and ps3 and the fact that its not standard. You arent gonna get devs to support it like wii u.
    Also throw in the fact sony is making ps4 and wii u is coming and i doubt people will rush to buy ps3 and ngp combo just to do what the brand new wii u can do and is made to do.

Just like move. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean its better than the console that made it standard.

10. 2,115
    dsav

dsav Loyal Member

they should mean vita and ps4 too.....unless vita 2 is coming out by ps4 debut lol.

doubt it, ps4 will be out by 2013 the latest, prolly before but maybe not since sony waited a year last gen too.

11. 1,316
    GT-RRR

GT-RRR Loyal Member

A new Zelda game?!

*Goes to find out...*

12. 146
    Vik Abominae X

Vik Abominae X Loyal Member

Well, the way I see it, PS3-PS Vita owners could get the same experience as Wii U owners...

What I could see happening is that developers can include the functionality as optional. They have already developed the tech to release the game both ways (Wii U with the "controller with a screen" and for Xbox 360 and PS3 with a standard controller), so that they could just port the code over from the Wii to work with the PS3-PS Vita.

If Sony pushes this feature, I could see this being exactly how it is implemented. This feature being an optional addition to games that expands on their scope, becoming a factor in convincing people to get the PS3 and the Vita. I don't see it being added a ton to games that don't already have a Wii U counterpart, but I could see it making it so that Microsoft is the "Odd Man Out" with that feature...the same way that developers create games for PS3-360 and Wii was the "Odd Man Out"...

The plus side about getting the PS3-PS Vita rather than the Wii U is that the PS3-PS Vita already has a great established library of games (PSP games for Vita and the huge library of PS3 games out now) and that you would be getting a completely independent portable game console with the Vita that does not NEED a base unit to function.

With the Wii U, you are pretty much getting a bulkier PSP that is tethered to a PS3 that is made by Nintendo. That is the extent of the Wii U. The thing is that the Wii U's screen (the one on the controller) has already been confirmed to be non-HD...

So, the old saying "You get what you pay for" really holds true in this case...with Nintendo's unit, you will pay less for it (and I could see it launching at $350-$400 - or $300 for the system with 1 screen controller and each additional screen controller costing AT LEAST $100), but you will get less as well...you wouldn't be GETTING an independent portable game machine capable of HD-level graphics with a built-in HD screen, either...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2011
  13. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

I don't really think you would be able to tell HD or non HD on screen that size. As far as established libraries, the Wii U hasn't been released yet, but it will surely be around for years after the ps3 stops getting games, so really if we go by that train of thought new consoles would never sell.

I do agree that devs could do it, but the question is will they? as I pointed out in a previous post in some thread, were are all the wii adaptations/ports now that move is here? how many 3rd party games are even using move? I don't know how difficult it is to implement these things, but apparently devs don't consider it a worthwhile investment; they probably take into account how many people actually own these optional accessories, and decide to not waste time on it.

If anyone wants to get a PS Vita, go ahead and do so.... I just wouldn't do it expecting it and the ps3 to do the same thing the Wii U will do.

14. 146
    Vik Abominae X

Wii U will "surely be around years after the PS3 stops getting games"? What makes you say that? I mean, it is not like Nintendo is showing off the Wii U and stating that it "blows away the graphics and processing capabilities of the PS3/360"...it won't.

So, we have a system with a gimmicky screen-controller that is slightly more powerful than the PS3/360 that has to use some of its own horsepower to run the image displayed on the screen on the controller...not something that sounds like it will be around "long after the PS3/360"...

15. 146
    Vik Abominae X

Where are all the Wii adaptations/ports? Considering Wii has very few good non-Nintendo produced games, the fact that there are any is surprising...and there are:

No More Heroes 2
    Dead Space Extraction (it was such a great game that PS3 owners got it as a pre-order freebie)
    House of the Dead Collection

Not to mention that it is not as easy to port games over to the HD systems from the Wii, and again the Wii's controller with the Sensor bar is pretty different from the PS Move and the Eye camera...and really, think of the quality Wii games, can you really name more than 1 or 2 off the top of your head that are not first-party titles (and thus unavailable for ports)?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2011
  16. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

It's not about whether they are good or not, it's a about the fact that they don't waste their time doing it. I don't particularly care for 9 out of 10 wii games, but that's besides the point.

But ok, wii games are horrible... wii u games are going to be probably equally as horrible, so why are we just assuming devs will waste their time porting those games? when they didn't waste their time porting the equally horrible wii games to move? As I said before, sure the ps3/vita combo might be able to do what the wii u will... but it most probably won't because nobody will bother with it. Maybe sony will release 2 games which will sell as much as eyepet has and even they will give up on the concept.

Oh and are you suggesting that the ps3 will be supported even after nintendo stop supporting the wii u? Don't get me wrong, I believe in 10 year life cycles, and I believe sony will keep releasing a game or two a year up 7 - 10 years into the ps3s life... but to doubt that the wii u will be around for years after the ps3 is replaced?

17. 38
    Sallu

Sallu Loyal Member

I don't believe sony will be totally copying them like ILLNESS and most of u saying although ps3/vita combo will be definitely better than wii U coz vita is having many advantages over wii u controller. Sony already had the tech and they experimented with psp which worked fine but they didn’t figure it out earlier and Nintendo did it with wii u.Just pairing vita with ps3 with a simple update is not copying others tech, they aren’t inventing something new. But ps move was a copy everyone agrees Wii U is equipped with blu ray , so who used blu ray first it doesn’t mean they copied sony. use ur sense, W7 phones can pair xbox3 too if MS wants

18. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

Nobody is knocking on sony for being a copy-cat, at least I'm not. I'm a firm believer that companies need to adapt other companies ideas and make them better. The point is that this will be yet another move thing, not in that they copied nintendo, but because it's hardly ever used by devs.

We really need to get on the same page here, is like there's an epidemic of greenhammer argument methodology. It's not that it will be bad, it's not that they are copying, it's all about the TECH is most probably NOT GOING TO BE ACTUALLY USED, save for 2 - 3 1st party games just to show they can do it.