hit tracker

Article: Sony pwns your PS3, can completely disable it if they want

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Jan 12, 2011.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 1,808
    Ichijoe

Ichijoe Loyal Member

How does this work IF the Wi-Fi on the PS3 is disabled and is also not connected via Ethernet to a Network?
    How can this work if the PS3 is not on my Routers MAC Whitelist?
    How can this work if the PS3 has no privileges to use my Wi-Fi Router?

3. 6,627
    tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

1) Has it be proven that it happens even if you are online with just a network connection but no PSN?
    2) Can't you just have the title ids are legit games?
    3) Could someone patch it out?

4. 25
    npuetz

npuetz Loyal Member

not at all!

5. 304
    switchg3ar

switchg3ar Loyal Member

Neurosurgeon
    Ya of course they can any console can. They could scan to see who has a hacked firmware then brick it, modern consoles have this ability. Didn't the 360 do that to people caught with modded drives?

6. 235
    steplay29

steplay29 Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    sony can not disable your console from offline play if you have modded your machine as here in the EU you are allowed to make back ups if you have the original.they have to prove that you dont own the back up and even then they will leave themselves open to a massive lawsuit if they do.

say you buy a car and u mod it ie:bigger tyres,spoiler and lights,the car make can not just disable it,say stop it working.same applies to consoles.:p

7. 0
    CaVaLiEr-

CaVaLiEr- Guest

sony should just implement other os again, i have 3 ps3s all legit with mutiple copies of certain games, piracy is wrong, i spent a fortune on mine, i would never hack it to play pirated material. why cant you pirates get a job like the rest of us !!

i would be funny if sony did disable all them hacked ps3's in someway hahaha ;)

8. 235
    steplay29

steplay29 Loyal Member

Home Page:
    the ps3 apparentley connects to the psn when started if you are connected to the net.below is a log i got from another site showing what happens:

fus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > Update Server (sys updates)
    mercury.dl.playstation.net > What's new ads
    nsx.np.dl.playstation.net > playstation store preview
    nsx-e.np.dl.playstation.net > ads
    (main file exchange connections)
    us.np.stun.playstation.net > on boot initiates connection
    ena.net.playstation.net > SSLv3 connection after above connection
    dus01.ps3.update.playstation.net > secondary update attempt (could force updates)
    auth.np.ac.playstation.net > SSLv3 authentication server
    (destination servers)
    service.playstation.net (has multiple IPs if only the ip address is blocked)
    (Error Reporting)
    creepo.ww.hl.playstation.net (uploads crash reports etc.)

9. 313
    DunnyUK

DunnyUK Loyal Member

I don't believe it for a second, sure they might ban you from PSN but disabling consoles would be terrible business sense.

10. 4,415
    JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

Sorry Sony I believe I own my system and if I want to play SNES games on it I will lol

11. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

HUGE difference there!
    xbox 360 disabled hdd installs.... Microsoft never disabled the entire console! Later re enabling it.

This some gay crap right there... sony is willing to take people to court and brick peoples consoles. That is as low as it gets. Only thing sony is missing is calling in the RIAA and MPAA to come hunt them down and try to settle for some outragous amounts of money after they brick the consoles.

Sony should remember those same consoles they could brick are owned by customers. I dont even own a ps3 though ive considered it many times. But respect for sony this gen is out the window. Long live the dollar sign $$$$ Sony even makes APPLE look nice.

Watch if they start bricking people. Watch some non modded innocent gamers get caught in the cross fire. Microsoft kicked people off their networks, but to disable the console is just low.

12. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

And does anybody here believe this has any legal standing? Sh*t will officially hit the fan the day that it can be proven that sony did such a thing.

13. 2,358
    QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

If they can disable it, can't we just reenable it? What are the limitations of our consoles since the master keys have been decrypted?

14. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

Legal system is all about $$$ and sony has a lot. I wouldn't be shocked. Between them and the "we own your soul the day you bought a ps3" eula. Nothing is really shocking anymore.

1 site i enjoy checking out to watch all the crazy stuff that happens in law is https://www.eff.org/

They have even mentioned this lawsuit.

15. 1,034
    wigsplitta

wigsplitta Loyal Member

Omg what a crock of ****! They can't disable any offline play. How are they going to do that? Shoot a laser guided missile into your living room? Even if they could disable something within the PS3 it could be reflashed to work again. They could ban your system from PSN but that's it. Now stop circulating this nonsense.

16. 5,715
    danight

danight Loyal Member

couldn't the just corrupt the master key or flash a total reset? Kinda like wiping out the bios of a pc? I dunno i just making small talk.

17. 1,034
    wigsplitta

wigsplitta Loyal Member

Well, they would have to specifically target the individual user and then send malicious code over to you. Highly illegal. Microsoft and Nintendo would gladly nuke your console if they could technically and legally do so. The most they can do is ban you. MS doesn't ban your gamertag....just the console.

18. 235
    steplay29

steplay29 Loyal Member

Home Page:
    ms can and will ban your gamertag.i know a few people that have had their gamertag banned.reason for this was due to a jtag console.they soon caught on that anyone with a jtag console can just get another key and reprogram the console to accept new key and thus have new id,so they ban both on certain users.:eek:

19. 1,034
    wigsplitta

wigsplitta Loyal Member

I didn't know about that. 2 of my 360s were banned from live but not my gamertag. That coupled with the rrod led me to stop flashing them.....it's not worth the trouble anymore. I have a feeling that the PS3 updating will be redirected to other servers like you can do with the Wii and the PSP. That was my favorite feature of m-33

20. 125
    Friks

Friks Loyal Member

Go for it Sony , i'm w8ting for u to disable my Ps3 !! Send someone to my house to plug the ethernet cable or enable wi-fi in my router :eek::eek::eek:

Stupid Sony ...

One of the main reasons if not the greatest to be where sony is in console history is due to Piracy ...

... FU... Sony ... And SUE ME SONY !!!