hit tracker

Article: StarCraft2's Menu's are frying computers

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by MaxMouseDLL, Jul 30, 2010.

1. 1,952
    CZroe

CZroe Loyal Member

Security guard and student
    Home Page:
    http://
    So, when you do a burn in/stress test and the PC fails, the stress test killed it?! No. The hardware failed. Put the blame where it belongs. If you have a crappy card that can only do 15FPS, lower than the edited limits, is the game expected to fry it just because it's running at max FPS? No. Think before you open your mouth people. Graphics cards are supposed to get the highest FPS they can manage. Built-in lower FPS limits are somewhat recent due to LCDs taking over.

2. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Sadly this issue was also present during beta during that time i saw a few peoples graphics cards go down the 8800gtx and 9800gx2 being the highlights.

It doesn't help that some people are still on the recalled Nvidia drivers that had problems controlling the fan that killed a few cards in itself.

I have noticed how hot things get on the bridge in Starcraft II so i have added those two lines but i am confident in my systems cooling.

3. 210
    Mithos

Mithos Loyal Member

When you can run all other 2010 released games in HIGH or ULTRAHIGH settings without the GPU having a 100% worload, and then install Starcraft 2 and leaving it to idle in a menu, and the GPU have a workload of 100%....

Then there is some seriously wrong in the gamecode.

4. 12
    GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen Loyal Member

no there isnt.

this is contradicting, your gpu can manage a 2010 game in high or ultrehigh with 100% workload?
    fine? like, it doesnt die?

good, now... a menu can eat 100% too, if its not framerate limited.
    100% = 100%, if it can manage gaming under that kind of load it should be able to handle a menu doing the same amount of 100% load!

this is like saying you can run prime95 on your cpu (which does some insane 100% workload stressing), but another application makes it crash due to load.

impossible.

sure it shouldnt work 100% under a menu, that is an issue in itself.
    but the hardware shouldnt fail because of it. this is pure physics/electronics laws logic.

5. 556
    Z3R0B4NG

Z3R0B4NG Loyal Member

"frameratecapglue=30"

what exactly does this do?

i do not want to set anything to 30 frames if it can do 60

also Vsync On should solve this problem because it fixes everything to 60FPS

FRAPS and Everest help to see what your PC is doing, framerate and temperatures.
    I allways have an eye on both in new games and when the weather gets HOT.

Damn i have a 25 EUR Temp Sensor in my Xbox 360-Watercooling System!

Just can't live witout knowing that Stuff.
    Without... it's almost like driving a Car without seeing how much gas you have in your tank.

6. 210
    Mithos

Mithos Loyal Member

I said:

"When you can run all other 2010 released games in HIGH or ULTRAHIGH settings without the GPU having a 100% workload, and then install Starcraft 2 and leaving it to idle in a menu, and the GPU have a workload of 100%....

Then there is some seriously wrong in the gamecode."

7. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
    sounds alot like the xexloader or xexmenu app that was refreshing at 400fps which fried some peoples 360s.

8. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

frameratecapglue=30 is the control for frame rate on the menu screens.
    The menus do not appear to be any different but my gpu temps did see a drop.

I rarely check my temps but Starcraft II made me look when the room became noticeably warmer.
    That said the most intense CPU/GPU usage you'll see in World of Warcraft is the animated login screen.

9. 12
    GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen Loyal Member

Anyway, i have basic understanding of programming, and id still say theres nothign wrong with the gamecode.

the code says what to do, the gpu does it as fast as it can, if theres cycles over, fine, its not 100% workload, but many gamers today game with very high settings and only get 35 fps instead of the 60 the "gamecode" would want to do!

this still doesnt fry their gpu, so why woudl it if the coders put a too low limit on the menu? (aka 120 fps instead of 60 as the lcd screen would be updating at)

10. 3,798
    iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
    could it not possibly be that the sc2 menu bypasses limits in the video card and drivers due to bad DX coding?

if you think that its impossible for some code to kill a gpu your nuts.

11. 432
    ASSPOP

ASSPOP Loyal Member

I hope sc2 burns all of your guys pcs, And leaves it a melted mess. I hope the ram burns too.

12. 2,907
    MaxMouseDLL

MaxMouseDLL Pink Flower Loyal Member

Seconded....

13. 96
    Zomer

Zomer Loyal Member

Exactly, finally someone here thats gets it.

14. 1
    killerc4

killerc4 Loyal Member

Are you people retarded? Im honestly amazed at how computer illiterate some of the posters of this site are. Even if the menus ran the GPU at full workload your pc SHOULD be built to handle that kind of heat. The first thing you do when building a computer is run a stress test and watch the temps.

To come on here and say that a game is going to cause peoples pcs to burst into flames is so ridiculously dumb that I'm at a loss for words.

Better warn the people at futuremark that their benchmarking software can cause their pcs to blow up because you know, it does run your gpu at 100% workload lol.

15. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Pre-built systems if they even get stressed tested are not the greatest tests in the first place.. you see people encasing their systems so the exhaust can't do its job.

Not everyone knows about furmark, everest, orthos etc.. as someone that appears to have that knowledge and likes to call people who don't retarded you should be helping them along, not showing that you can pull off the typical geek-snob stereotype ;)

16. 949
    Signa

Signa Loyal Member

I see both sides of the argument here, but I still would hold Blizzard responsible for burning out my PC because they sloppily coded their game. A game is NOT a stress-test, and so if one game destroys my PC while others of similar specs don't, I blame the people who made the game that broke my PC.

I mean really, say I was running Supreme Commander on my PC (which is VERY resource heavy) and then a MENU on a game that's meant to scale to low-end PCs breaks my computer, I'd blame the game and the makers over my hardware.

17. 1,439
    IJTF_Cinder

IJTF_Cinder Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://utstatsdb.nanomonkey.ca/
    Anyone supporting this claim, is a fucking MORON. Plain and simple.

There are only a handful of games with "locked" framerates compared to those without. A game will only run at as high a framerate as the hardware can push, and that's that. If it has no more to give, then you just don't get any more performance out of it.
    The only way to "Fry" hardware is to overclock it or overvolt it, which unless the SC2 devs had code that did this explicitly would not be something that the game would do.

If this was even remotely possible for a game to simply do because the framerate wasn't locked, every game without a locked framerate would fry hardware from the dawn of gaming. You can feed a GPU way more than it can handle, guess what happens....you get your nice 5fps instead pf 30/60...the damn thing doesn't just go into meltdown.
    If it's the code, it's more than just framerate locking and it's a SERIOUS error or intentional fuckup by a miffed programmer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2010
  18. 432
    ASSPOP

ASSPOP Loyal Member

I hope the new I7 pc's that run this game burn and fail. I don't like people having faster processors than me.

19. 81
    emkoemko

emkoemko Loyal Member

these idiots here are trying to say games shouldn't push your gpu to 100% lol and some graphics code can fry your gpu up LOL.

20. 949
    Signa

Signa Loyal Member

I guess I won't play it then. Not that I had plans to anyway:p

don't be too envious, the processor only really performs well when doing number-crunching like un-raring a file or video compression. Games wise, it's no better than most AMD processors.