hit tracker

Article: Wii U can surpass 360 and PS3, says EA

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Jul 27, 2011.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 6,626
    tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

considering the spec I'm not surprised.

The problem may be when the PS4 and Xbox 720 come out.

The lack of a HDD though may be an issue for devs though depending on the speed of the BD drive and DLC.

3. 159
    Ninjaman

Ninjaman Loyal Member

Although this is true....this really depends on the developers. Since by the time PS4 and Xbox720 are released the developers will have an edge with the WiiU since they will be much more comfortable developing for the WiiU. As an example, when Konami released Resident Evil 4 on the gamecube it looked far superior to many of the competitors games at the time of the RE4's release. But most developers are lazy or just don't put as much effort into the game as they can.

4. 123
    patstevens

patstevens Loyal Member

the wiiu has to thank god that pc gaming is not dead, otherwise when a company goes to make a game for all 3, the game will be about the same on all 3 systems, other than adding some touch screen gimmicks into the game, but if its a game that is first developed on the pc, then the wiiu will be able to better match the look, smoothness of the pc version running on a pc with higher specs than an xbox360/ps3. such as battlefield 3. but for games that are console exclusives then it seems unlikely they will develop it such that it runs great on wiiu but looks like crap on ps3/xbox360. the wiiu will just get a slightly improved looking version but it won't be like the xbox/ps3 compared to the wii today. afraid the wiiu is mostly going to be the xbox of the ps2/xbox/gamecube generations, more powerful but games only slightly improved(and it doesn't seem like the wiiu is THAt much more powerful than current systems vs the xbox which was 2-3 more powerful than the ps2)

5. 984
    WoIverine

WoIverine Loyal Member

Uh, what, for a couple of months until the next iteration of the xbox and ps4 releases? Good luck Nintendo. People will avoid your shovelware this time around.

6. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

WiiU looks like a massive risk to me, for everyone involved. Nintendo has some massive balls to try this, but if they get kicked its man-pain time.

7. 57
    headyfred

headyfred Loyal Member

I would hope that it could match the ps3 and xbox360 seeing as they are both about 5 years old. Talk about being on the cutting edge of technology.

8. 4,415
    JonathanD

JonathanD Loyal Member

I honestly am expecting a pretty huge market crash to happen pretty soon in video game land, my magic 8 ball is showing me doom and gloom coming.If Nintendo can launch the Wii-U at a price that is significantly cheaper then the PS4 or Xbox 720 they may enjoy some success like they did with the Wii? Of course for a while there the Wii was actually more expensive the the 360 Arcade and still selling more units so maybe my economic forecast machine is broken...Just not convinced the market can handle another set of PS3 launch price machines right now. The Wii-U seems like it will be slightly expensive in and of itself, with MS and Sony wanting to "blow it out of the water" I can only imagine how much thats going to cost.Meh this next gen is going to be weird, sort of like watching people trying to do some skate board trick... Very fun to watch no matter how it turns out.

9. 613
    CharmedonWB

CharmedonWB Loyal Member

Oh no Jonathan, your prediction is spot on--the video game industry has been running unchecked for a while now and the bubble will eventually burst. The market is becoming too heavily saturated with too many iterations of hardware coming one after the other. The world economic climate is soon to collapse, especially with this debt crisis in the US. I am not predicting doom and gloom but the economic climate is going to change over the coming year and with that change comes changes in business practices.

10. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

I don't get it... is that supposed to be a compliment? "the wiiu is about as powerful as current gen consoles"? I'm not a powah whore, but if I was trying to praise the power of the wiiu I would have NOT done so this way.

More than power and specs, I think price tag wbe ill the deciding factor once again. Early on I thought the ps3 could ride the success of the ps2 even with a slight lack of games, then I thought once more games come out it would do better... I really thought gamers would be willing to drop $500+ on a console as long as it had the games, but that is not the case. The least powerful, least expensive console will most probably be, yet again, the one to sell the most.

11. 814
    dwrecording

dwrecording Loyal Member

Yep, When people go to the store in 6 months they will have PS3 for $350 witch has not many games and vary bad press, a WIIu for $450-500 with 10 games, or a 360 for $250 and 2 shelf's full of games. Witch will people buy?

12. 230
    SuperCaculo

SuperCaculo Loyal Member

Ninja spy
    only hardcore gamers want hardcore games and the same controller we had for, well fro ever. but the world want to have the gimmicks. and what more prof is there than the wii and that ps move and knect have sold more than 20 mill together. i see this thing doing very well if the price is right. and the fact that it is backwards compatible with the wii controllers means that you dont have to buy that again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2011
  13. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

If we're making predictions.. Worst case scenario prediction: Nintendo launches this system and fails to capture their intended audience, falls back on the casual audience and realises that they're in the same position they were in with the Wii, finds that their audience is happy with what they already own, is too worried about recession to spend more money and knows they can get the same experience on their phone for £30-40 cheaper. In this situation the Wii continues it's trend of bottoming out before Nintendo becomes aware of what they've done, Nintendo realises it has two products in trouble and dumps all of the focus onto one device to keep it alive.. killing the 3DS in the process.

I would love to be wrong here as I want Nintendo to do well and please everyone, but I have to agree with you, there's a crash in the future and the guy with the biggest balls is first in line for the nutcracker... although knowing Reggie he probably likey.

14. 26,553
    Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

Yeah, but not Ps4 or Xbox3.

15. 6,199
    Retroboy

Retroboy Banned MaxConsole Troll BANNED FOREVER

I sell online ads for a living, but love to compla
    Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
    Home Page:
    http://www.retrojunkies.karoo.net
    lol sure it can rival or surpass but erm these systems are going to be 5+ years old. didnt EA claim not so long ago how they wished consoles had more power so that they could have done more in crysis 2??? isnt the erm contradicting or what. i wont be buying this system one having a blu ray drive yet nintendo wont pay to allow users to watch blue ray movies i can already see people saying well we dont need to, its a console ect but i guess xbox isnt making money off people wanting to pay and downlaod movies to watch on the erm console? two, i can already tell its going to be another wii all over again, this time with a iFAD controller.

16. 6,199
    Retroboy

Retroboy Banned MaxConsole Troll BANNED FOREVER

I sell online ads for a living, but love to compla
    Jolly Old England, The Land of the Trolls
    Home Page:
    http://www.retrojunkies.karoo.net
    lol sure it can rival or surpass but erm these systems are going to be 5+ years old.

didnt EA claim not so long ago how they wished consoles had more power so that they could have done more in crysis 2???

isnt the erm contradicting or what.

i wont be buying this system
    one having a blu ray drive yet nintendo wont pay to allow users to watch blue ray movies i can already see people saying well we dont need to, its a console ect but i guess xbox isnt making money off people wanting to pay and downlaod movies to watch on the erm console?

two, i can already tell its going to be another wii all over again, this time with a iFAD controller.

17. 3,748
    MadonnaProject

MadonnaProject Loyal Member

Sure....we'll see.

18. 984
    WoIverine

WoIverine Loyal Member

Well, if the economic situation hits the fan on a global scale, that will probably kill gaming altogether. Just hoping things keep going smoothly until Batman: Arkham City releases. I could probably finish off my gaming career with that. Would be a good way to go out I think.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2011
  19. 0
    Squirrel61

Squirrel61 Guest

Nintendo's next-gen console is always competing with the last-gen consoles of other companies...

20. 8,169
    msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

I wouldn't say "ALWAYS" Basically I think they started doing that with the DS/Wii.