hit tracker

Aussie owes Nintendo a million dollars for copying ONE Nintendo game

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 9, 2010.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    A 24 year old gamer from Australia reportedly has to pay Nintendo 1.5 million Australian dollars because he copied and uploaded New Super Mario Bros. on Wii.

<blockquote>
    James Burt, 24 of Queensland in Australia is possibly regretting copying and then uploading New Super Mario Bros Wii. It's going to cost him $1.5 Australian dollars.

The £850,000 equivalent will be paid by Burt of Sinnamon Park in Queensland following an out-of-court settlement to compensate the company for the loss of sales revenue, says the SMH.

Burt made the ill-judged move last year, making the game available via download, a week before its official release in November.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://news.spong.com/article/20544/Aussie-Owes-Nintendo-a-Million-Bucks-for-Pirating-One-Game?via=rss" target="_blank">Spong</a>

2. 1,002
    Tyrael

Tyrael Loyal Member

a complete idiot. making the game available via download? again, a complete idiot. still unbelievable...

3. 304
    switchg3ar

switchg3ar Loyal Member

Neurosurgeon
    Seems a bit harsh, it's like they just wanted to bankrupt the person. It's not like Nintendo is ever going to see that money anyways.

I wonder if you can just declare bankruptcy and just forgo it.

4. 299
    Neglefarot

Neglefarot Loyal Member

OWNED!!!

Its a shame we lost one of our uploaders.....

5. 437
    Cloudkill

Cloudkill Loyal Member

ITC techy
    We should all send him a £10 because we all know we were playing the game 1 week before it came out! lol

6. 613
    CharmedonWB

CharmedonWB Loyal Member

I know this is supposed to act as a deterrent but who has 1.5M dollars? Even in breaking the law we all make mistakes; most of the time these guys don't think they'll get caught. But 1.5M is harsh, considering the fact that no one truly knows the true economic impact of this kid's actions. Monitor or suspend his internet connection.

7. 6,014
    grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
    Actually when you do the math he got let off pretty light. Thats equal to about 20,000 copies. The "he's just a kid excuse" doesnt work...he's 24, took the game from work where he had early access and uploaded it a week before release. I dont see how we are supposed to feel sorry for him?

8. 613
    CharmedonWB

CharmedonWB Loyal Member

Like I said, there is no way to determine the economic impact on Nintendo by this guy uploading the game. How many people who downloaded it would have bought the game? There is no way of knowing that. How many people downloaded it and then bought it as a result of the download? We do not know. How many people were going to buy it but then decided not to because of the download? No one knows and will never know. If this is thievery, then why is there no prison sentence? If I get caught stealing a truck load of PS3s then I am going to prison. I never said feel sorry for the guy either, I said that 1.5M is harsh. An average person does not make that amount of money in a lifetime so how is he expected to pay 1.5M kiwis to Nintendo??

9. 6,014
    grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
    My guess is that he doesnt ever pay it back...most likely will have to declare bankrupcy but I will bet he will think twice about doing it again. Perhaps your right though, jail sentences would be a better alternative than financial ruin.

10. 272
    bubbleboy

bubbleboy Loyal Member

Murder or rape or maim someone --> 5 years. Then back to normal life.

Upload 400 megabytes of data --> bankruptcy, ruined for life.

It's all about perspective, and in this case, the lack of it.

11. 722
    stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 Loyal Member

12. 140
    jase1

jase1 Loyal Member

That about sums it up, intellectual property is worth more than a life and some of the clones and drones around here and other forums will argue with you about these things.

They probably believe piracy funds terrorism and that prices would be cheaper if it never happened....Twats.

13. 949
    Signa

Signa Loyal Member

It's a slippery slope arguing either side of this, especially when you bring in what Bubbleboy said. On one hand, BB is right, but then what is a company to do if they reduce the punishment? People will just copy stuff willy-nilly and they won't be able to do anything about it. On the other, it still is a shitty thing to do to a company because you just don't know who would have bought the game had it not been available. Ultimately, I think we need to just rework our criminal system so that people get more time for rape and murder than IP theft, because it's FAR more important to have a functioning society than to have a functioning corporation.

14. 613
    CharmedonWB

CharmedonWB Loyal Member

Poachers get less of a fine when poaching animals on the endangered species list...perhaps they should get fined 1.5M dollars and perhaps less people will poach. Either way, an endangered species is far more important than some damn intellectual property. If you infringe a copy right there should be consequences but I do not believe a 1.5M fine is the answer either. Cut his internet.

15. 0
    karyuudo

karyuudo Guest

In Canada, if you declare bankrupcy, you're only screwed for 7 years and then after that you're clean.

Honestly I take my hat off to the guy who leaked NSMB Wii in the name of FREEdom :D He may of taken one for the team but he sure provided the rest of us with great entertainment a week early. And besides, if he hadn't, someone else would have.

16. 26,553
    Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

An asshole. There aren't other words to decribe him. World is in crisis and a person can afford to spend so much money. F*ck him!.:mad:

17. 0
    LKJHGFDSA

LKJHGFDSA Guest

yeah, he ruined such a big title, and made ninty look like an ass for saying that it'd sell more than mw2.
    everyone around the world was downloading it, the money is just to make up for the would of been sales.

18. 2,115
    dsav

dsav Loyal Member

that's crap, but he fuked up.