hit tracker

Backup/Restore of Emunand when upgrading/replacing SD card

Discussion in 'Useful Tools & Tutorials' started by Davhuit, Nov 5, 2014.

1. 1,080
    Davhuit

Davhuit Loyal Member

How to backup/restore Emunand when upgrading/replacing SD card

As it seems to be a recurrent question, I decided to do it's own thread and add it in my signature, like I did for other things (as always, if you spot an error, feel free to report it to me).

1) Backup the contents of your old SD card on your computer (just make a copy of all the files on your computer).

2) Keep the old SD card in your computer and use "Emunand Tool" (http://filetrip.net/3ds-downloads/utilities/download-emunand-tool-1-0-3-f33079.html to download it) to backup the emunand of your old SD card. Just run the program, click on "Extract emuNAND" and wait. It should create a ~950M file, keep it somewhere on your computer.

3) Put your new SD card in your computer and copy the last version of the "launcher.dat" file in the root of the card.

4) Put the new SD card back in the 3DS and boot the gateway menu (hold "L" when you launch the "DS profile").

5) Create a new emunand on this new SD card by choosing the "format emunand" option.

6) Once a new emunand is created, put your new SD card on your computer and restore your emunand backup with "Emunand Tool" (click on "Inject NAND to emuNAND" and choose the ~950M file that was previously created).

7) Copy/paste all the files you copied on your computer during the step 1 (to restore your game saves, which are .sav files, and such).

8) Put the new SD card back in the 3Ds and boot emunand. You should get back the same emunand you had before with the old SD card.

Note : If you had downloaded some games on the eshop, you have to reinstall them manually if they are not restored automaticaly by entering your NNID again and redownload them on the list of items you bought.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014
    vinnycl, killerklown, Dinic and 5 others like this.
  2. 72
    filipposan87

filipposan87 Loyal Member

this doesnt work to backup any downloaded themes. you lose every theme you bought. but can be redownloaded after a few scarejumps from nintendo.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2014
  3. 1,080
    Davhuit

Davhuit Loyal Member

Yeah, it seems the themes aren't backuped but we don't know why. It's a bit weird because they should be on the bought list items and from what people says, they aren't so dunno.

4. 72
    filipposan87

filipposan87 Loyal Member

they arent, but can be redownloaded free of charge after a few advises, updates, and legal threats i mean warnings fron nintendo. i was really waiting for it to tell me pay again please ,but it just puts download on the option so its safe and you wont lose a thing.

i mean, my Rosalina spinner is what i feared the most losing in the 3ds. and my total savings were 0.00 on the store so it didint charge me again.it cant

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2014
  5. 1,080
    Davhuit

Davhuit Loyal Member

So it seems the bought themes list are backed up somewhere, though it's not on the bought items lists, because if it wasn't backed up, the 3DS wouldn't be able to know you already paid for them and offer to redownload them for free.

6. 9
    monsterbongz

monsterbongz Loyal Member

Thank you, seems like this would be handy.

7. 1
    soopa28

soopa28 Loyal Member

I have followed this guide like ten times now and i get the same error with emunand tool when extracting from SD
    **unknown nand size**and copies really fast and is only 512mb
    I have a 3ds and 3dsxl both on cfw running 4.5u but when i started i only had a 4 and 8gb sd cards and now have decided to update to both 32gb sd cards. I have a couple games and have done the mii puzzles and journeys and big blue menu and dev menu.
    not really looking to start everything over just to use a bigger SD

8. 3,760
    lemanuel

lemanuel All-Knowing Lurker [Mod] Loyal Member

maybe it only works with actual emunand and not cfw

9. 13
    RickWJ324

RickWJ324 Loyal Member

Used your tutorial today to upgrade my son's sd card. Worked like a charm! THANKS!!!!

10. 15
    MasiveRican

MasiveRican Loyal Member

This is probably going to sound retarded, but where the hell is the Thanks button? I want to thank you w/o wasting a post lol. I swear it's just not showing up for me, all I see are report, reply, reply with Quote and multi-quote message icons..

11. 3,760
    lemanuel

You need to have at least 10 posts to see the thanks button ;)

12. 20
    meathead42

meathead42 Loyal Member

Upgrading to a larger or faster SD card

Format the new SD card to Fat32.

Download this program (it is free) and install it: http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-Raw-Copy-Tool/

1. Do not launch the program yet, if you have already close it.

2. Make sure you have the hardware to support the reading/writing of two SD cards simoustanly!

3. Plug your current card into your PC and write down the drive letter (this will be the SOURCE drive).

4. Plug your newly formatted SD card into your PC and write down the drive letter (this will be your TARGET device).

5. After both SD cards have been plugged into your PC and you know what drive letters are the SOURCE and TARGET launch the program.

6. Select your SOURCE drive and then click Continue >>>

7. Select your TARGET drive and then click Continue >>>

8. Now let the program do its job (grab a few beers and drink them), it can take up to 30 or 60 minutes to clone your SD card depending on how fast your transfer rate is.

Once complete you have a perfect copy of your card.
    Fill free to update this procedure or copy it as needed.

Enjoy, and this forum kicks ass!!!

blakkheartt12 likes this.
  13. 3,760
    lemanuel

just for this, it's completely useless when you can do exactly the same much faster

14. 20
    meathead42

meathead42 Loyal Member

I do not understand what you are saying. I wrote a short procedure that lets you kick back and let the PC do all the work to clone a new SD card (full proof for dummies). Last night I spent about four hours trying to get my new card to boot using procedures on this site. Then I just decided to do what I know and it works 100% with little effort.

Anyways, thanks for your help as always. Just let me know if I am missing something on this...

15. 3,760
    lemanuel

Well... It's pretty easy to do it the way this guide describes so I don't know how you spent 4 hrs with it without any success. In any case, I was just stating that if it takes 30-60 mins to do it, then it's not worth it since the other way takes significantly less time (when doing it properly).
    I can understand the "full proof for dummies" argument tho but even like that, I find it unlikely that the original guide is that hard to follow.

Anyway... Thanks for your contribution ;) It's much better to have tons of ways to do it than not having any and so I'm sure there will be people who might use the steps you provided

meathead42 likes this.
  16. 17
    McGuim

McGuim Loyal Member

Works like a charm, but my system now is a little bit slower, maybe cause i'm using an 64GB card.

17. 47
    DaveTheBaker

DaveTheBaker Loyal Member

Did this. Now it says i only have a couple gigs of free space (my 32gb card looks like a 4gb card) do I need a separate program to allocate all the unused space to the ~2.7gb partition?

EDIT- Fixed. was able to use miniTool Partition wizard to extend the partition, because for some reason the other tool wouldn't let me (saw an option to extend volume, but it was grayed out)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2015
  18. 17
    blakkheartt12

blakkheartt12 Loyal Member

I followed the guide (backup emunand then inject it into the new card), but now some of my game saves, mainly fantasy life (I have close to 300 hrs in the game), is not seeing the save file. It is on the SD card. I'm using a .3dz file. Also most of the panels in my mii plaza are missing. Any ideas on why that is? If I put my old SD card back in, everything is fine.

19. 3,760
    lemanuel

Did you transfer emunand to the new SD card as well as the contents of the old SD card?

20. 17
    blakkheartt12

blakkheartt12 Loyal Member

Yep, sure did. Some games saves work and some do not. Kind of sucks because I had a lot of pink panels from my trip to Japan/Korea last year. Streetpass where I live in the US is non existent.