hit tracker

BD Drive making dangerous noise while autoejecting in MCU 1.9

Discussion in 'Official 'Cobra ODE' Support Forum' started by ReVeri3, Jan 20, 2014.

1. 40
    ReVeri3

ReVeri3 Loyal Member

First of all, i would like to thank the Cobra team on releasing this new version which solves a lot of my issues including the autoeject feature. I just have a query now which i would like you to confirm to before i experience any hardware failure with my console.

My only concern with the autoeject feature now is the noise which my BD Drive makes when i select a game or use "remove disc" option. It sounds really rough as its trying to choke the console with the cd inside. It sounds like the console tries to stuff the cd back inside when the drive itself is trying to eject it, then after some force from console, the drive accepts the cd again without letting it see the light.

Can you please confirm if this is normal behaviour and if this is going to cause any hardware issues?

Many thanks!

2. 312
    Alfredo Guilenea

Alfredo Guilenea <b>Ferrari's Engineer</b><br /><i>MaxConsole Spani Loyal Member

can you record the sound that is making it to hear if that noise is normal or not?

we can figure it out if the description is Clank chunk piii poooo click click splash!! =P

3. 40
    ReVeri3

ReVeri3 Loyal Member

Ok heres another thing which i just observed. When i quit game and then select "Remove disc", it seems to perform the autoeject more gracefully, infact I even saw the whole disc come out and sucked back in. So, the "ungraceful" autoeject where the drive makes noise like its being choked, only happens when I select a game to play.

Is there any way for me to change autoeject feature's performance during game selection to be similar to "remove disc"?

4. 312
    Alfredo Guilenea

Alfredo Guilenea <b>Ferrari's Engineer</b><br /><i>MaxConsole Spani Loyal Member

you could try on the cobra.cfg
    eject.on_selection=1
    change it to 0
    put it to 0 and when you choose a game. you have to eject the disk by yourself, give it a try.

but im still waiting to hear the sound to see if is good or bad.

5. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

I also see a difference in how far the disc ejects sometimes it stays in and does a fast eject/reload (I like it when it does that), and sometimes the disc comes out.
    The sound it makes for me are normal and not alarming. A video that let's us hear the sound would be great, then we can judge if it's normal or not.

6. 312
    Alfredo Guilenea

with few ps3 model 2k5.
    the ps3 almost spit out completly the Disc.
    and its fighting to get it inside again :p

and sometimes you can barely hear the eject like you said.

7. 40
    ReVeri3

ReVeri3 Loyal Member

Yes and its "fighting to get inside again" bit which worries me.

I will try to record sound/vid but in the meantime i wonder if someone else finds this concerning in terms of any risk of wearing out the drive or other hardware failure.

Is there not a way to program it in a way in which you can switch/play games without ejecting like in multiman manager?

8. 312
    Alfredo Guilenea

you have to disable the auto eject feature on the cobra.cfg

but i dont think you have to worry, is not going to wear out because of that.
    think about it, if you play original games, you have to eject. take the disc out and put another one.
    is the same thing

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
  9. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

But it depends how much it really is fighting to do this, if it goes beyond original specs it might cause problems. But we can't judge it without knowing what noise it makes.

10. 312
    Alfredo Guilenea

of course, that is why we need that he record the sound in order to hear if its ok.

but what i mean is, the cobra ode is just sending the command to eject to 2 times. So its not a issue of the cobra.

11. 74
    moccor

moccor Loyal Member

When I first installed the Cobra ODE and was messing around with it, mine too was making some loud noises. I thought for sure I had broke my drive or something got loose from laying it upside down or w/e. I Googled a bit and tried turning of the console and putting a disc in the drive while the console is off. It will suck the disc in and turn on the console. That fixed my problem. Then I had the problem of the disc not being read. But once I ejected it, I found a nice long hair come out on top of the disc. I have no idea who it belonged too, but all is well and it sounds normal. Like others have said, mine does the quick eject/reload. Almost sounds like it doesn't move the disc at all. Using 4.30 Cobra ODE

12. 21
    Bart Vincke

Bart Vincke Loyal Member

I have the same.
    on a 2k5 model it makes a hell of a noise, sounds like breaking up inside but eventually it works
    on a 2k00 model, there's no noise at all. It just fake ejects quitely.

2k5 model suck bigtime for ODE ( qsb is a bitch to install and it's all running less stable then the 2k model I tried )

13. 312
    Alfredo Guilenea

i allready install CECHE01, 2101A, 5 2k5, 4 3k and 7 4k.

Ceche and 2101A has 3.0 Board

2k5 to 4k has QSV 4.20

the only problem that i was having is about the usb self powered drives. and i fix it allready

the best model so far to put the cobra on my opinion its a 3k by far.
    and i dont have strange sounds on 2k5 or 3k

14. 40
    ReVeri3

ReVeri3 Loyal Member

when quitting or switching the game, the whole disc comes out and goes back in. This is normal and we can relate this to your comment that we play original games on which we also have to eject so shouldnt wear anything out, i am fine with this but what i am saying is why can it not let the whole disc come out and go back in again when you select the game as well?

When you select the game, the disc tries to come out but then gets choked back inside the console which forces the drive to just accept it without completely ejecting it. It seems like there is less delay between the 2 eject commands, which if increased, i am sure the console will let the drive eject out the cd completely before sucking it in again.

Basically, the same coding which was done for quitting game "remove disc" which lets the disc completely come out and then suck it back in again, should also be applied for the process for selecting game which tries to do it really quick and choke the drive with the disc. The delay between 2 eject commands for "remove disc" seems a bit longer which allows the disc to come out completely and seems much better and harmless, just not sure why one of a sudden when you actually select the game, why it tries to perform the autoeject so fast.

Plus, my other question still stands, why have this eject process at all? why can the ode not behave like multiman manager? im sure there is a good reason for this but obviously i dont have much understanding in this area so some explanation would be good

15. 1
    him.1993

him.1993 Loyal Member

Same problem is happening with my cech 3008B . The sound is like fan is running at very high speed from bd drive but it only happens with my killzone disc but resistance 2 disc does not have this problem..

16. 16
    ThaMailman

ThaMailman Loyal Member

Yep, I have the same behavior with my CHECL. (ode v4.2). Disc get ejected just a little each time you select a game. till the moment the disc is just a little loose in the drive.. When the ps3 spins up the drive you hear a scary noise from inside your ps3. I do not use the auto eject function anymore, but still hope for a solution/update to fix this.

Keep up the good work!

17. 1,036
    magneto

magneto Cobra ODE Support Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.cobra-ode.com
    I don't think there is any unusual sound, but i'm waiting to see a video/audio recording of it.

18. 312
    Alfredo Guilenea

So do i. That was the first thing i ask to see and hear.
    You cant describe that kind of sounds..

All of the ps3 i made. Make clank chick chick plom chukuk and they r working fine

19. 1,061
    ARMITAGEIII

ARMITAGEIII <b>Mustang SuperSnake</b> Loyal Member

that sound like a house album xD, i know bad joke
    but the only ones that make the clonky sound i suppose that are the ps3 that pick the disc in?. cause my 4xxx make the same "bruuuum" noise

20. 1,036
    magneto

magneto Cobra ODE Support Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.cobra-ode.com
    I think you just aren't used to the sound of an eject and load happening so fast.