hit tracker

Bethesda: MS screwed up Halo ODST marketing message

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Sep 22, 2009.

By Zeus on Sep 22, 2009 at 10:56 AM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    A producer at Bethesda has blogged about how Microsoft messed up their marketing communications messages when promoting ODST which led to reviewers talking about the pricing of the game a whole lot more. Time and time again MS were dithering between whether ODST was a full new game or an 'expansion pack' which led to confusion.

<blockquote>
    Microsoft and/or Bungie totally bungled the marketing on this. First saying it was a standalone expansion pack, then coming out and saying wait, no, we're charging full price because - surprise! - we put "more" stuff in it and it's called Halo ODST now, vs it's original title, Halo Recon. Like Microsoft was ever going to sell this for less than full price. It is a new Halo title, it'll sell like hotcakes no matter what.

Because of the waffling, reviewers are now mentioning that Halo ODST may not be worth the price point, that it should've been cheaper, etc... Give me a break. First off, most games - especially first person shooters - are anywhere from 5-10 hours. Tops. What makes Halo different from others? You can't just ping Halo ODST for it. I bet if Microsoft hadn't screwed up the marketing messaging, there would less talk about pricing</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.cloudrulertemple.com/2009/09/halo-odst.html" target="_blank">Cloudrulertemple</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Sep 22, 2009.

1. 5,715
      danight

danight Loyal Member

yep probably already sold a million copies.

2. 6,627
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

The only "value" I see is if you don't already own the multiplayer maps. But if you do then this is the most expensive expansion pack released to date.

3. 2,358
      QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

I think some websites said it was around the 1.2 million pre-order range.