hit tracker

BigBlueMenu and CIA files

Discussion in 'Useful Tools & Tutorials' started by lemanuel, Dec 6, 2014.

1. 12
    4scarrs

4scarrs Loyal Member

just a quick question is there anyway to convert .cia to .3ds? for example an eshop game that you didnt want to install on the 3ds but run from the gateway instead.

edit:

looks like in this thread says you can.

2. 3,760
    lemanuel

lemanuel All-Knowing Lurker [Mod] Loyal Member

With the tools available right now, it's "possible" but very hard to accomplish. You need to have tons of accurate information when creating the rom and the cia file needs to be decrypted in order to create a functional rom. If the cia is encrypted, you can't make a rom. And if you have any files that wrong information, the rom won't work either.

But most games are usually available in both formats, even more so in .3ds/.3dz format. So it's easier to just try to find it online. In case it's really not available, then I would suggest to install it in cia format since you'll most likely not be able to convert it to .3ds

3. 84
    PancakeDeAwesom

PancakeDeAwesom Loyal Member

The games save like real cart games or it uses other method? I read about saves corrupting and other stuff
    So basically CIA is like 3DZ but can be edited and is inside the 3DS like downloaded games from the eShop

4. 3,760
    lemanuel

Yes, CIA games are like games downloaded from eShop. They work the same way.

The roms (.3ds/.3dz) save first in the mSD (when you save in-game) and then when you exit the game or power off the 3DS, the save is moved to the SD card inside the 3DS. They can get corrupted if you're not careful and let the 3DS run out of power for example, since the save doesn't get moved to the SD card.
    For .3ds/.3dz saves, they're linked to the header of the rom (no header with .3ds and header injected with .3dz). So the saves will only work with roms using the same header (or no header) from the roms that created the save.

5. 35
    Vick

Vick Loyal Member

Many thanks.

(1.0) cia games are installed inside the console? since you mention they can be deleted after installation.
    (1.1) How many games can be installed in a console? For sure there is a space limitation?

(2.0) If we are only using cia files, we only need small size mircoSD card for gateway red card right? The big size for the card in console.

6. 3,760
    lemanuel

1.0) yes. cia files are like archives. the files inside are what get installed into the 3DS.
    1.1) since you should use emunand and emunand works inside the SD card, the space of the "fake" system is the size of the SD card. so bigger SD card equals more space for games to be installed.

2.0) depends if you're planning on using entirely games as cia or if you also want to put games in the mSD of the red card. but basically yes.

Vick likes this.
  7. 35
    Vick

Vick Loyal Member

In your first post,
    I believe your "GW card" refers to the red GW card right? since 3ds games are put in red card too.

8. 3,760
    lemanuel

Yeah, the blue card is only used for installing the exploit so when I say "GW card" I usually refer to the red card since it's the one that it's always used.

9. 35
    Vick

Vick Loyal Member

How is it improved? Devmenu cannot uninstall programs?

10. 3,760
    lemanuel

it can. devmenu does everything that bigbluemenu does. except bigbluemenu has a nice icon, a different intro music and a different banner. but the program in itself is the same.

11. 129
    Quantumcat

Quantumcat Loyal Member

SAP developer, moonlighting as maths tutor
    Can I clarify this? I am a noob and a little bit confused:

- You can turn any rom into a .CIA file and install on the SD card to be run from icons on the home menu in emuNAND.
    - Playing online with such roms is easier than from the GW card.

So sensible thing to do would be to install any roms that you might want to play online to the SD card, and leave the rest on the GW card, and have the bonus of extra space available on the GW mSD?

12. 3,760
    lemanuel

Exactly. If you want, you can install all games that you have as cia. But it's especially useful for the games that you want to play online since you don't have to bother with headers.

Quantumcat likes this.
  13. 2
    hero3210

hero3210 Loyal Member

Thanks for the very helpful guide.

How am I supposed to use DLCs if I don't enter it from the game? Can you explain more?

Thanks again.

14. 3,760
    lemanuel

I explained that to someone in one of these posts already. lol

But I can explain again.

The DLC is used by the game and you can use the game normally. You simply shouldn't enter the in-game stores or any Extra menus that show what DLC you have installed.

The menus and options are not the same for all the games so it's hard to put it into words for all cases but basically it's just that. You install the DLC and the games uses it. You can play the game normally and you simply can't enter any of the "useless" menus/options usually available in the start screen of the games.

15. 2
    hero3210

hero3210 Loyal Member

Thank you very much for the ultra fast reply

I read all your posts about DLC here but still didn't understand. "in-game stores" was the magic word. lol

Thanks again

16. 27
    fira10

fira10 Loyal Member

Hi Lemanuel! I have a few questions to ask:

1. I was wondering, if after I install a theme pack(.cia), can I use the theme when I'm on sysNAND? Or is it only applicable for emuNAND?

2. I want to install a dlc, does it need to be on .3ds or it can be used on .3ds AND .3dz? (Talking about Fantasy Life, planning to play online) :p

17. 3,760
    lemanuel

1.It's only for emunand (and emunand needs to be on a version that supports themes. the best is just having 9.2 or above for emunand).

2. The game can be in CIA or in rom format (.3dz to be played online). The DLC needs to be in CIA since it has to be installed to the 3DS.

fira10 likes this.
  18. 27
    fira10

fira10 Loyal Member

Thanks for the replies! I just wanted to differentiate the theme from sysNAND and emuNAND. Oh well, will make sysNAND bright red then, thanks again!

19. 111
    drake008@

[email protected] Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://
    These XORPADS must be created ust once or for every file I try to "CIA"?

20. 3,760
    lemanuel

They need to be created for every rom you want to convert to cia. It's the xordpads that allow the program to be able to decrypt the rom and they're specific for each game