hit tracker

Booting Problem

Discussion in 'Official 'Cobra ODE' Support Forum' started by ddistrtt, Jan 16, 2014.

1. 13
    ddistrtt

ddistrtt Loyal Member

Hello all,
    I have a PS3 CECH01 for which I bought a cobra ODE. I have repeatedly checked my ribbon cable connections and am confident that they are secure. The problem I am having is that the console will start to boot up for about a second and then turn off. I have attached a compressed short video to demonstrate the issue. Looking forward to any and all responses, thanks in advance! View attachment IMG_0753.MOV.zip

2. 312
    Alfredo Guilenea

Alfredo Guilenea <b>Ferrari's Engineer</b><br /><i>MaxConsole Spani Loyal Member

im pretty sure that the problem is because of not using the correct cables.

PS. my neck hurts because of your video :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
  3. 47
    Rynsewind

Rynsewind Loyal Member

Have you tried taking the cobra out and checking the console? The video you showed is exactly what happened to my Fat PS3 a week or so ago.(nothing to do with the ODE) It's the YLOD (yellow light of death) Red--green--yellow-- red with 3 beeps. So if you are certain your cables are all present a correct, then it could be your PS3.

4. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

You used the right cables for each connection?
    The HDD is it externally powered?

5. 13
    ddistrtt

ddistrtt Loyal Member

I don't have an external hard drive connected yet. I'm just trying to get everything to boot up correctly for now.

What exactly do you mean by "the right cables for each connection"? I've seen that in a bunch of other forum threads but it's pretty vague. I mean it seems pretty straight forward to me in that you use the wide ribbon cables for the hookups to and from the blue-ray player and a skinnier cable to hook up the USB input board. I don't really see how someone might get that confused but I could be wrong.

I tested the system before installing the cobra ode board and it worked fine.

Thank you for all the responses so far! I really appreciate the help!

6. 47
    Rynsewind

Rynsewind Loyal Member

Which cables you use depends on which version of the cobra you have, check the manual. Also it may seem pretty straight forward but the there have been plenty of times the wrong cables are used or connected wrong despite the insistence of the person installing assuring that they are 100% correct. So check you cobra what version is it, what cables have you used, have you used an opposite sided cable where a same sided one should be or vice versa.

7. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Pictures can make things easier for us to spot, so if you could make some. And about 75% of the problems occur due to installation errors.

8. 13
    ddistrtt

ddistrtt Loyal Member

I have version 4.20 of the cobra ode. I did not receive and two sided ribbon cables with my modchip, so all of my connections are with same sided ribbon cables. I ordered it from modchipcentral.com. I referred to the installation manual v1.4 and the following table makes me think that I'm using the correct cables:

Cobra Cable Table.jpg

Here are some pictures of the install. I wasn't really sure what types of angles would be most helpful so please tell me if you need different ones. Hopefully y'all might notice something that I'm missing.

photo 2 (1).JPG
    photo 3 (1).JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    photo 5.JPG

Continued thanks for helping me!

9. 45
    gas

gas Loyal Member

Its the cobra v 4.20
    I think its for slim only

10. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Then why would it have PATA connectors?
    So no, it supports all PS3 revisions except the one with BMD-21 drive controller boards. Can you confirm you don't have this one?
    Also some of the bends in the flatcables seem pretty sharp can you try to wiggle them a bit to see if it changes it.

If all seems ok try to connect a externally powered HDD to it. If the problem stays then disconnect the ODE power cable and use a USB wall charger connected to the mini USB connector on the external PCB to power the ODE externally.

11. 45
    gas

gas Loyal Member

Yes I have cobra qsv 4.20 and its for the slim brand .. cobra team mentiond this in the manual ..

12. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

There are 2 versions of 4.20 you know?
    One normal and one QSV yes the QSV is only for the PS3 that requires soldering so SLIM and SUPERSLIM (not just SLIM).
    The normal 4.20 supports all PS3 except BMD-21.

Normal 4.20:
    4_20.jpg

4.20 QSV:
    4_20_QSV.jpg

His is obviously the normal version.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
    ddistrtt and gas like this.
  13. 13
    ddistrtt

ddistrtt Loyal Member

When I ordered from modchipcentral.com they confirmed that it worked for all ps3 revisions. The following line from the blueray drive revisions table at http://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/Bluray_Drive makes me believe that I don't have the BMD-21 drive controller board but I could be wrong. I'm basing it off of the CECHExx listed in that row since that's the model that I have.
    PS3BlueRay..jpg

I'm gonna go do some cable wiggling and will report back.

Cable wiggling gave me the impression that they were fine.

I tried your suggestion of plugging up an external power source through the USB input board via a mini usb cable connected to an AC adapter with the red and black power cable disconnected from the ODE board. The system would not boot. Out of curiosity I also tried it with an external HDD connected also with the same results.

Then I reconnected the black and red power cable to the ODE modchip and plugged in an externally powered HDD. With the USB input board set to emulator mode I get a solid red light for about 1.5 - 2 seconds and then it turns off. With the switch set to passthrough mode I get a solid red light that stays on. The system won't boot up in either state. I tried hitting both the power and eject.

Thanks as always

14. 47
    Rynsewind

Rynsewind Loyal Member

Re-check your ode to clip on board cable, is it the right cable, back when my ode was in my Fat PS3 I installed the opposite sided cable instead of the same sided cable and the ps3 refused to boot.

15. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Hard to judge from the picture but check this please.

16. 13
    ddistrtt

ddistrtt Loyal Member

I checked the ribbon cable from the cobra ode board to the motherboard and it seems secure to me. As stated before, I did not receive any double sided cables in my installation kit. Here are some pics of the connections for verification.
    photo 1 (3).JPG photo 2 (2).JPG

I'm wondering if this particular PS3 might be a lost cause. If I were to flip this console for another one, which generation would you suggest? I would prefer to keep it cheap, might even get a used one. It seems like the 2010 model has good success with the cobra ode chip. What do y'all think?

17. 27
    4DoorITR

4DoorITR Loyal Member

Do you have the board sitting on tin foil? Also did you make the power cord was plugged in the correct way around?

ddistrtt likes this.
  18. 13
    ddistrtt

ddistrtt Loyal Member

I cut out some of the original plastic packaging that the cobra ode board came in and used that to insulate the board from the blueray player. I have also tried slipping the cobra double sided sticker in between them with no luck. An yes, I made sure that the power cord was plugged in the correct way. Otherwise, I don't think that I would be getting any activity from the console. I had a faulty power wiring harness originally and that was the situation. I had to ask the supplier for another one which they graciously provided.

19. 312
    Alfredo Guilenea

Alfredo Guilenea <b>Ferrari's Engineer</b><br /><i>MaxConsole Spani Loyal Member

that plastic is conductive!
    that is why is anti static

20. 47
    Rynsewind

Rynsewind Loyal Member

Ok I'll try again, the clip on board(the one you plug your hard drive into) is that connected with a same sided cable. The 60 pin cable from the ode to MB and ODE to drive are fine you should only have received same sided cable for them, but one of the 24 pin cables you received will be opposite sided and that could be the problem ( I know i have the same ode as you and I have that cable and it's needed if you install the ODE into a CECHL). if you have the opposite sided cable in your PS3 wont boot. Also loose the anti-static bag it's conductive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014