hit tracker

Brick Prevention Methods and Possible Solutions

Discussion in 'Wii Game Ripping, Custom Mods' started by tech3475, Jul 27, 2009.

1. 6,626
    tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I have updated the guide now.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2009
  2. 7,336
    ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Excellent update tech, so clear a lobotomized monkey could follow it.

3. 8
    ModManiac

ModManiac Loyal Member

I still have my old bricked Wii in the living room, that has slowly been collecting dust. It bricked during an official Nintendo update. I forgot the version, but it was the update that added the virtual clock on the home screen.

It locks up and goes to a black error message every time I boot up (a second after the home screen comes up). Any help?

4. 17
    doodah

doodah Loyal Member

good read and good to know.

thanks poster!

5. 4
    fisherofmen

fisherofmen Loyal Member

Very cooL

I wish I understood all of that. I will do some studying

6. 1
    wiijon

wiijon Loyal Member

red led on waspkey

Anyone know what the red led means on my waspkey its just been fitted to a brand new d2 wii??

7. 4
    Benjamin_Jones

Benjamin_Jones Loyal Member

Newb here ;)

Hi all.

I cannot post a new thread, apparently have to do at least 3 replies here.

Anyway, I'm looking at buying a new Wii console. Any particular serial number ranges I should avoid? I've been wading through this forum and now more confused than I was a few hours ago...

You can mail me or post some links that can assist me.

Lastly, I 've seen some SoftMod programs around, any in particular I should avoid or consider?

Many thanks and a happy new year from sunny South Africa!

8. 7
    macflames

macflames Loyal Member

Hi, Right I'm gonna try detail everything as much as possible hopefully i can get some help.

I have ver 3.4e i think it is.
    i used the
    Wii_4.0_softmod_hack_%28NO_ZELDA_NEEDED Guide from torrents.

it was going fine until i install preloader, it installed fine. but then said it wanted to update from 2.9 to 3.0? Anyway during the "downloading Changlog" screen it crashed, so i reset it only to come across the "Software error has occurred" black screen where now i cant get to systemmenu anymore.
    but i can still access the Homebrew Channel, and the Preloader program, sadly i only found out about making a bootmii backup AFTER i bricked it, as the guide didn't state that. so is there a way to unbrick it with a program? or should i just invest in a Savemii.

I don't think I've missed anything, Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

9. 6,626
    tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

first of all, do a bootmii backup to prevent any further damange and install bootmii as boot2 just in case.

Tell us EVERYTHING you installed. Typically semi-bricks are caused by dodgy channel banners, dodgy IOS or system menu.

I would rather leave the system menu/IOS stuff till last if it turns out its only a dodgy wad.

10. 7
    macflames

macflames Loyal Member

Alright im gonna try install bootmii as boot2, heres the guide i followed. it should say the programs i installed there.

"DowngraderIOS35.dol
    downgraded to IOS35
    LoadMii
    Wad Manager 1.4
    Installed IOS35.wad.
    Selected IOS35 when it asked what IOS to use.
    Installed the CIOSv7.wad.
    used IOS249.
    Installed IOS36.wad & HBC.wad
    installed IOS60patched.wad
    cios rev10 installer
    Ran IOSdowngrader from HBC
    Ran CIOSCORP and install
    preloader 0.29 and failed in the update, which is where it went wrong

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2010
  11. 7
    macflames

macflames Loyal Member

sorry for the double post but. any help?

12. 17
    Edge4o7

Edge4o7 Loyal Member

Thanks for the guide. Good to know I have options if I screw up.

13. 6,626
    tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Here's what I suggest you do:
    1. download and install using wad manager system menu 4.1 and a trucha signed IOS 60
    2. Install CIOS rev14
    3. install preloader or startpatch
    4. never update preloader

I can say where to get the system menu although I know there are some guides on gbatemp floating around.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2010
  14. 33
    SifJar

SifJar Loyal Member

uh, no. Every single file that has ever been on NUS is still on NUS. Some have been updated to non-working revisions, to save space on updated Wiis, and when crappy apps like waninkoko's pathetic "safe" updaters try to install them they install the newest, non-working revision and brick, but that is due to complete stupidity on the part of the coder. You should NEVER use Waninikoko's "safe updaters" or "downgraders" in ANY circumstance.

I just flicked through your post, so I hope the rest of it is better...

15. 6,626
    tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I sourced my information so give me a break.

I always said this was work in progress anyway and I welcome feedback.

The reason why I said to only use offline methods is because of risk, I wasn't sure whether the older revisions were on NUS (i.e. Nintendo having common sense), I also wasn't sure if the updaters used the latest version so by default it would brick.

The upgraders/downgraders in the past were relatively safe but I was worried that people would still use these (since they are no longer safe in their online modes) I decided to play it safe.

16. 33
    SifJar

SifJar Loyal Member

Apologies if I appeared rude, I just feel that with a topic such as bricking, all information should be as accurate as possible. The upgraders/downgraders are never safe, they're stupid and pointless, and rather dangerous. I would strongly advise against using them ever.

Also, the applications you list for fixing bricks (Any Region Changer and waninkoko's tools) are all bad ideas TBH. The best tool for fixing most bricks would be dop-Mii. It can reinstall System Menu if its broken, and any IOS. AnyTitle Deleter is useful for deleting channels with bad banners causing banner bricks. SettingsReplaceMod can be useful to those with messed up SysConf (I think this is caused by out of region disc updates). Theme related bricks can be fixed by installing a different theme with MyMenuify.

I think it may be a good idea to list types of bricks and how each happens, e.g.

Banner brick: Installing a custom channel with a corrupted banner, or installing a poorly made theme with MyMenuify
    Semi-brick: Installing out-of-region System Menu
    Full brick: Multiple ways. Corrupted SysConf, corrupted/deleted System Menu or System Menu IOS

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2010
  17. 6,626
    tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Like I said, I need to update it. I hope to get round to it in a week or so.

for the record, when I wrote this guide, those tools I mentioned were the only good ones I was aware of.

Thanks for mentioning this stuff, I'll use them for my next major rewrite.

Also, I did mention the types of brick, but not how they happen.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2010
  18. 33
    SifJar

SifJar Loyal Member

Sorry, I still didn't read it too thoroughly :eek:

BTW, I noticed you told someone above not to update preloader. Any reason why? AFAIK, it is preferable to update it to Priiloader.

19. 6,626
    tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I have changed it, this was back when priiloader was just out and I wasn't sure what the quality was like.