hit tracker

Buying a Gaming Computer?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming World' started by GaryOPA, Oct 31, 2017.

By GaryOPA on Oct 31, 2017 at 9:18 PM
  1. 25,640
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    Here Are The Top 5 Specs To Look For
    [​IMG]

It’s a part of any game’s packaging that all gamers are (or should be) keenly aware of: system requirements. Let’s take a recent release for example:

Injustice 2 System Requirements (minimum):
    • CPU: Core i7-3770 / AMD FX-8370
    • RAM: 8 GB
    • VIDEO CARD: 2 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 or AMD Radeon 7870 or better
    Notice the words “minimum” and “or better.” If you’re like me, you don’t want your gaming desktop or laptop to just be the bare minimum, so referring to the system requirements of the games you want to play, while useful, usually fall short in terms of really informing you how to get the most bang for your buck.

Laptop vs Desktop: Meeting Your Needs

Before getting into talk of gigabytes, the most important thing to consider when buying a gaming laptop or desktop is your personal needs and lifestyle. More and more, gamers are demanding that their gaming desktops be more than just, well, gaming desktops.

This is why gaming laptops are also on the rise and getting more worth the money every day. They want their laptop to be able to handle business, both work and personal, and also know how to play.

This is also why HP, for example, has entered the game with their new Omen line of gaming computers, and from the looks of it, it can do it all without breaking the bank. Dell, on the other hand, has a history with the gaming community, but has also upped its laptop game to give their consumers more flexibility, namely with their Inspiron line.

The Specs

Whether you choose a laptop or desktop, your specs need to meet your demands. To make sure your choice doesn’t fall short, I’ve outlined the top 5 specs to check off your gaming computer wishlist below.
    1. CPU — You can’t go wrong with an Intel Core i7 with HQ or HK tagged on the model. Avoid the “U” which is code for not-as-powerful.
    2. RAM — While 8GB is standard and usually plenty, more RAM is always better, so opt for 16GB if your budget allows.
    3. Graphics Card — Known as the be all end all in gaming, do not skimp on your GPU . Today, laptops are built with desktop-quality graphics cards, which means you need to be looking out for a GTX 10 series card or better. Or better doesn’t mean GTX 10’s are minimum, either, just means you can do better if you’re willing to invest the cash.
    4. Battery Life — Portability isn’t a pro if your laptop is constantly dying. Aim high here, since many brands likely overestimate their battery power. In my experience, you can find laptops with 8 or more hours, so start there.
    5. Display — Likewise, what good is a powerful graphics card if you can’t reap the benefits via an equally powerful screen? The better resolution relative to screen size, the more visceral and immersive your experience will be — and that’s the point, right? 1920 x 1080 is your better-than-baseline starting point.
    What about you? What are your non-negotiables when it comes to gaming computers?

Last edited: May 23, 2018

Comments

Discussion in 'PC Gaming World' started by GaryOPA, Oct 31, 2017.