hit tracker

Buying a new 'New 3DS XL'

Discussion in 'Official 'Gateway 3DS' Support Forum' started by badmanj, May 10, 2015.

1. 2
    badmanj

badmanj Loyal Member

Hi Guys,

Some advice needed...

Does anyone know if the 'off the shelf' 'New 3DS XL' consoles in the UK come with a firmware less than 9.3, so the Gateway should work with them? Or are they currently being produced with the incompatible firmware installed now, so I'd need to locate an earlier system?

Second question is to confirm the Gateway now lets me put > 1 game on my memory card; I can have as many as I can fit, right? And with the 'New 3DS XL' to set things up I'll need to also purchase an original 'Zelda: Occarina' plus one of these: http://www.modchipsdirect.com/r4i-save-dongle.html

Just trying to make sure (a) I can buy a new console and get this stuff working and (b) I know what I need to get ;-)

Thanks...

2. 1,636
    Ronhero

Ronhero Loyal Member

https://gbatemp.net/threads/n3ds-xl-firmware-by-version-number.381479/

You can fit as many .3ds/z games on your red card as you can fit and as amas many cia files on your emunand as your card can fit (I have 1 64gb for my red card, 1 64 gb for my n3ds, a 32 gb card for my dstwo and a 4 gb for my sky3ds)

You can also buy cubic ninja or sky3ds, it's up to you. I was using QN for a while and then I got a sky3ds dirt chea so I can have multiple exploits on one card (NTR, Homebrew Launcher and GW exploit) also cn is usually cheaper, you don't need a save dongle and you get more exploits

medi01 likes this.
  3. 2
    badmanj

badmanj Loyal Member

Thanks for the firmware link - will go hunting tomorrow!

So would you recommend the Sky3DS over the Gateway then?

And are you saying if I buy Cubic Ninja rather than Occarina, I'll not need the Save dongle?

Actually am I right in thinking I'm extremely unlikely to be able to find a 'new 3DS XL' off the shelf with a suitable firmware version? I think I may have missed the boat on this... if so, anyone know anywhere I could purchase a suitable console from?

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  4. 1,642
    makikatze

makikatze Gateway Kitty [MOD] Loyal Member

A free cat
    Since we are in an official Gateway support forum, the honorable members like Ronhero won't recommend Sky3DS over Gateway. They just recommend Sky3DS as a great addition to Gateway, but really, counting all the possibilities you have with Gateway, try to get your hands on a console which can

That's exactly what he wanted to say, yes. Cubic Ninja runs through a QR code which is included in the Gateway firmware package. No need to inject saves or something like this.

Well, ebay or other platforms with used consoles would be the best bet for older firmware N3DSs. You could also try local shops which are known for selling not that much technical stuff.

5. 1,636
    Ronhero

Ronhero Loyal Member

I only mention I have a sky3ds (notice how it only had 4gb card) because I have 5 games on it.

1 - CN - USA - GW Exploit
    2 - CN - Home brew
    3 - CN - NTR
    4 - OOT - EUR - GW Exploit
    5 - OOT - JAP - GW Exploit

This is only because I help people a lot with setting up their n3ds and need every exploit. See my sig if you want my services

6. 1,642
    makikatze

makikatze Gateway Kitty [MOD] Loyal Member

A free cat
    True. You only use Sky3DS as a handy tool, not for PLAYING roms :)

Since I don't have any friends who want a Gateway flashcard (they all say they have no money, but they buy the retail games on release... Doesn't fit well in my opinion, but ok ;) ), I don't need any tools like a Sky. I have OOT and CN retail for my region, that's enough (and luckily had both at home already when Gateway told us we would need them, YES!)

7. 1,636
    Ronhero

Ronhero Loyal Member

I got CN after the homebrew hype train fell down for $16 and my sky3ds red button dirt cheap from a local game place who owed me a flavor for less then $20. It already paid for itself for the few people in k-town who wanted the nvram installer done and didn't want to pay an arm, a leg and their first born for a jap copy of CN

8. 62
    medi01

medi01 Loyal Member

9. 1,636
    Ronhero

Ronhero Loyal Member

I don't know what you are referencing?

10. 87
    Derfderk

Derfderk Loyal Member

Vagabond student and vendedor de muamba e Sky3DS.
    He's asking for a list of serials in which to expect IPS or TN (explanation) similar to the list of firmware <9.2 or >9.2 by QWxxxx serial.

This, considering it is the 3DS, would barely matter for most users. For competitive Smash, the one game where a competitive where timing matters (that sprung to mind), it could become a slightly mattering issue albeit still negligible for the most part.