hit tracker

Capcom opens the gates to allow a 'takeover'

Discussion in 'General Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Jun 17, 2014.

By GaryOPA on Jun 17, 2014 at 4:01 AM
  1. 25,171
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    Capcom shareholders open company up to takeover possibility!

Today, Capcom announced that at its most recent investor meeting, its shareholders voted to end the company's takeover defense.

[​IMG]

For years Capcom has protected itself from being having another company do a run on its shares and be in takeover position, but now the shareholders of Capcom have voted to remove any line of defense leaving the company open to someone to move it and takeover the company if it wishes on open stock market.

Could this be early signs that Capcom is moving towards a 'sale' position or are shareholders unhappy with the current direction the company is going and hopes someone will take it over and run it better?

NEWS SOURCE #1: Capcom shareholders open company up to takeover possibility (via) Gamasutra
    NEWS SOURCE #2: Non-approval of Renewal of Takeover Defense (via) Capcom

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'General Gaming News' started by GaryOPA, Jun 17, 2014.

1. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Lets just hope whoever buys it does it with good intentions and not just EA all over it.

billysastard likes this.
    2. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      I doubt EA is interrested, because its too Japanese. Secondly, they would kill all Capcoms franchises instead of milking them.
      They would most likely use Capcom to make even more Battlefield games..Which is very unlikely.

Sony can't afford to keep that many devs alive, and already lost alot.
      MS...Capcom is too Japanese.
      Nintendo.. I doubt Iwata wants Capcom, but have the money to buy Capcom.

Dead Rising, Resident Evil, Mega Man etc. would push Wii U sales as exclusives.
      Nintendo only need to buy 51% to get them exclusive.

Namco Bandai is probably the one thats getting Capcom, or maybe Nintendo.

The next company for sale could be Square Enix.

3. 5,961
      DEDDOA

DEDDOA Loyal Member

I wouldn't rule out MS, you say it's to Japanese for them, but it's a prime candidate for increasing their credibility in the east. Releasing the console under the Capcom name and/or keeping games like Street Fighter on XB1 only will sell a lot of consoles over there. MS have gotten exclusives off of them in the past, so no reason why they wouldn't go the whole hog now, it's not like they couldn't afford it.

4. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

We need to think out of the gaming box as well.

Capcom own some quite valuable IP so there may be others who either buy it as an investment or buy it to asset strip the company and sell each IP.

@DEDDOA

I kind of agree with you.

The problem is that in recent years they've tried to 'westernise' their games and have abandoned certain IP e.g. Megaman.

I think if MS buy them it would have to be under the condition that they shoo out the cowboys because otherwise I can see it being a waste for that purpose (except maybe Street Fighter).

5. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Capcom isn't the right company for MS to get Japan. They need some Hentai company for that which don't release games outside Japan.

Nintendo is the one to benefit most from Capcom, because Xbone and PS4 is FPS consoles.

I think Nintendo prefer to buy single developers instead, of bigger companies. Resident Evil, Street Fighter etc.. is milked to death already.
      Nintendo is also hiring third parties, and will increase that even more. I don't think Nintendo care much for Capcom IP's anymore.
      Last time they for Capcom cared was on GameCube. Those days are long gone.

Its less of a gamble for Nintendo to hire third parties on game by games basis, than buying them. Capcom games sells less than their own IP's too.

MS also hires third parties instead of buying them. I think Rare is the reason why the risk is too high. We know how Rare ended up.
      MS didn't even buy Bungie, because they became less and less worth.

If you buy a company, they may have one successful game, then several low sellers. Thats bad business.

There is a reason why Capcom wants to sell themselves. They aren't that valuable anymore.

6. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

MS did buy Bungie and Halo is one of (if not the) biggest IP they have.

7. 5,605
      Battlefield

Battlefield Loyal Member

Home Page:
      Yes, but Bungie is multiplatform now. MS didn't care that much for them.

8. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Now yes (but at one point they did own them), but then I guess they saw no reason to keep them since they had what they needed (they even let them keep the Marathon IP which surprised me).

9. 93
      eatdogs

eatdogs Loyal Member

I'll just say this. Nintendo should buy them and stop the westernizing of the games. Keep it in Japan and go back to the roots of the games from the old days. Nintendo is always going to be nostalgic and when I think of Capcom I think of Nintendo. They go hand-in-hand together for me.

AlbedoAtoned and billysastard like this.
    10. 984
      WoIverine

WoIverine Loyal Member

Yep, I would actually be very surprised if Nintendo didn't scoop them up. Exclusive Capcom games on the Wiiu could definitely propel it forward and turn the whole debacle around. I'd buy Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 on Wiiu, or the next DmC, Dino Crisis, Strider, etc.

billysastard likes this.
    11. 1,327
      rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Developer

They could do an RE with Mario and Luigi! :D

12. 984
      WoIverine

WoIverine Loyal Member

IIRC Nintendo had RE exclusives on Gamecube. RE Zero and 4 for a while.

13. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

Nintendo would probably be my favourite to buy them, but for some reason I can't see them doing it.

Is Yoshi good enough?:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR7c-dhlBM0&t=2m36s

note: I haven't used "insert video" because it doesn't work with youtube time.

14. 13,435
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.maxconsole.com
      ms and ea are out because of current japanese takeover rules.

sony can barely afford their execs secret drugs stash anymore or so it seems

nintendo have plenty of money spare and many of capcom's titles are really at home on nintendo's platforms + it would keep huge system sellers like monster hunter on its systems in addition to megaman, res evil, viewtiful joe, street fighter and so many old arcade ip's.

sega/sammy could do it but they just bought atlus and some bits of thq so could they afford another takeover?

an asset stripper as suggested is a possibility however the vast majority of capcoms ip's have low or lower value because of capcoms recent destructive attitude to gaming in fact other than monster hunter and street fighter there would be little of graet value to sell off.

of course if nintendo did buy them parts of the internet would probably implode which would be fun to watch. :D

15. 1,327
      rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Developer

ROFL! That is awesome!

16. 25,171
      GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
      Design Eng.
      Home Page:
      http://www.O-P-A.biz
      ShackNews posted their possible list of Capcom buyers and their reasons for each company listed:

Now there is one I didn't think of earlier 'AMAZON', maybe just maybe they might make a run for a Capcom takeover.

17. 13,435
      billysastard

billysastard MaxConsole Co-Admin Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.maxconsole.com
      i saw elsewhere someone saying that nintendo buying crapcom could help in more ways than one, with wii u being the home to both smash bros and street fighter you can be certain that it would quickly become the primary system for fighting game players (quite a large group supposedly) and as such would effectively force other fighting game makers to shift their focus onto the wii u too and if they have a programming team working exclusively on wii u they might as well make other titles from their catalog for the platform too thus increasing 3rd party support.