hit tracker

"Card was removed" - Ultra 3.0

Discussion in 'Official 'Gateway 3DS' Support Forum' started by Romsstar, Jan 10, 2015.

1. 7
    Romsstar

Romsstar Loyal Member

As the title suggests I think something must be wrong with my card.
    I can backup nand, I can launch retail games (region free) through classic mode,
    Diagnostic gives me OK! on everything but SPI (Beta bug).
    But whenever I want to launch a game I only get the message that the card was removed.
    I tried three different SD cards, tried it on other 3DS, all the same.
    It must be the card. My reseller (Elewelt.com) doesn't reply and ignores my messages,
    is there any way to fix this? Or is the card simply faulty and there's nothing I can possibly do?

2. 49
    Soulgain

Soulgain Loyal Member

20150110_114008.jpg

Well if you think your red card is fake try comparing the pins on the bottom of your gateway to my image if they match it should be authentic. As for the sd card you should also have it tested for actual memory space via a program called h2testw as well as make sure it is locked into the gateway card as there is a locking mechanism for micro sd cards which you'll hear by a click to indicate that the sd card is securely fastened. Other than that I don't know how to help you.

3. 7
    Romsstar

Romsstar Loyal Member

I don't think it's a clone, it's legit the pins fit, it's authentic. It just seems the card is broken and I was asking if there is any solution to this as my reseller won't exchange the card.

4. 49
    Soulgain

Soulgain Loyal Member

I don't know how to help in any other way if reseller is not willing to cooperate. Actually I just remembered if you rip off the gateway tag on the back of the card above the pins under the micro sd slot you should be able to see into the card a bit and you should check if any pins are bent or something along those lines as I have seen something like that happen and I think it may also be your problem if it has something to do with sd card not being read/detected.

EDIT: if not on the back then on the front my bad.

5. 7
    Romsstar

Romsstar Loyal Member

But if it was a sd card reading error why does it display the game icons in the menu but can't start the game?
    If it was a sd reading error shouldn't it simply don't recognize even the icons?

6. 220
    Rasa39

Rasa39 Loyal Member

Out of curiosity, you aren't trying to do this on a N3DS are you? Because support for N3DS is not out yet so if that's what you are using, that'll be why.

You could try formatting the microSD card to exFAT rather than just switching cards, if you haven't already tried.
    This was a problem with my blue card, I know it's only ds level but that would freeze on loading some games until I formatted the microSD card and tried again.

Try completely wiping the micro SD card and format it to exFAT, then only put something like devmenu.3ds or something small on it and see if that launches. (or even just format to FAT32, you don't actually need exFAT as no game exceeds 4gb as long as you trim the filler data)

7. 7
    Romsstar

Romsstar Loyal Member

Dude I'm not stupid lol I know that it doesn't work on N3DS yet.
    Also: Obviously I wouldnt've gotten even as far as to the Boot Mode if I was doing it on a N3DS.
    I did all of that. If it was THAT easy to fix I wouldn't have asked :p

8. 2
    nic27

nic27 Loyal Member

Expert technique
    Hi,
    I had the same issue and I renamed roms without space and special character and all roms are working :)

9. 689
    ksp

ksp Loyal Member

Could be you have a fake micro sd. Where did you get the micro sd? Hopefully not ebay

10. 2
    nic27

nic27 Loyal Member

Expert technique
    I made some tests and apparently, if there are some space in the name of the roms, you can have some trouble... I have replaced each space by an underscore "_"

11. 7
    Romsstar

Romsstar Loyal Member

I got it in Media Markt, it's a local electronic store which I doubt would sell fake sds.
    Also as I mentioned in my first post I tested it with 3 different sd cards. the likelilyhood that all are fake is next to none. The roms I tested had no spaces or special characters in it.
    So whatever is wrong, that's not it.

12. 24
    sum_guy

sum_guy Loyal Member

I tried the renaming technique and took a .3ds and simply renamed it to the actual game name with no spaces and it didnt work. Again, .CIA works perfectly fine and BigBlueMenu.3ds seems to work fine....

13. 9
    Raymond7

Raymond7 Loyal Member

Agreeed its pretty frustrating that a brand new red gateway card doesnt work. I see alot of people complaining about this... Cia works indeed well but i just wanted to run easily 3ds. But now sometimes the rom loads sometimes and sometime card removed error comes its annoying... The update red card went perfect without any issue very strange...

14. 24
    sum_guy

sum_guy Loyal Member

Hey an update for you. Friend and I tried the same rom and gateway 3.0.1 on his 4.5 emunand on his 4.5 systnand 3ds. We ran the same card I used with the same rom and it ran fine. However when updating his emunand to 9.4 and not changing any other settings, the rom no longer worked with the same "card has been removed" message.

15. 220
    Rasa39

Rasa39 Loyal Member

I tried not to sound condescending, in my experience here many people, even those who who know what they are doing, can overlook the simplest of things. I was just asking to see if you'd covered those things, often something stupidly simple can be easily overlooked as a solution.

Still, it's strange that you can launch the bigbluemenu.3ds, you've already ruled out the console being the issue so I think it's safe to assume the card is faulty and it's somehow hanging when trying to read big .3ds files.

Never heard of this before though so it is mysterious. Maybe you can try forcing the card to upgrade to 3.0 again, I heard issues related to cards not updating properly in the last card update, could be worth a shot. (apparently to do this you hold R when booting the gw menu to reinstall the card update)

16. 9
    Raymond7

Raymond7 Loyal Member

Ehm it seems like this is a bug currently only exists for the 2DS. I already emailed gateway and their response was that this sounded like a bug which they currently are investigating. I also run the diagnostic tools and all things are OK! definitely a bug on 2DS only

17. 7
    Romsstar

Romsstar Loyal Member

The SPI reset doesn't work on 3.0.
    But yesterday I tried the Diagnostics von 3.0.1 and the SPI resetted.
    The card works now! For anyone who had similar issues, the 3.0 SPI bug prevents it from resetting apparently.
    So if anyone had similar issues just run the diagnostic on 3.0.1 again and it should work.

sum_guy likes this.
  18. 9
    Raymond7

Raymond7 Loyal Member

HMMM i tried the diagnostics in the morning, and now im trying it. I havent got any game card removed errors yet. maybe as Romsstar stated that the diagnostics resetted the spi. I will report back later if the card removed error comes back or not

EDIT: error still exists on 2DS, even after diagnostics.