hit tracker

Cnet: 60 percent of Xbox 360's have died compared to 16 percent of PS3's

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 17, 2009.

By Zeus on Nov 17, 2009 at 1:22 PM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    CNET has revealed the results of their very own survey into console breakages. And the 360 leads the way with a 60 percent defect rate, followed by the PS3's 16 percent and 6 percent for the Wii.

<blockquote>CNET UK commissioned the survey last month -- and the results don't reflect well on the Microsoft console. Some 1,128 UK-based console owners responded, of whom 562 owned Xbox 360s, 473 owned PS3s and 591 had Wiis (some owned more than one).

Of those Xbox owners who have bought their Xbox since January 2008, 34 per cent report that their Xboxes have broken -- still double the lifetime failure rate of the PS3. Microsoft introduced new components in late 2007 and early 2008, when Bill Gates boasted of the Xbox's newfound "incredible reliability". Our survey shows that while the console has improved, it's still far from reaching Gates' goal of being the "most reliable video game box out there".</blockquote>

News Source: <a href="http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,39029441,49304288,00.htm" target="_blank">CNET</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Nov 17, 2009.

1. 139
      regurgitator

regurgitator Loyal Member

Well 100% of mine have died .... and i'm on my 7th machine :eek:
      I have 4 dead ones gathering dust ... you have to laugh really :p

2. 0
      sliggo

sliggo Guest

well im in the 60% and the 16% so sucked even harder for me.

3. 194
      cloporte

cloporte Loyal Member

I'm sure M$ will confirm those numbers ...

where i work 9 people out of 10 9 had their xbox broken

including me 2 times :p

the only one who hadn't was because he never turns it on

it's under a pile of dust like my Wii ...

4. 488
      phallius

phallius Loyal Member

I wish CNET asked for proof (I don't think they did.) Fanboys can go into the site and report failures for their most hated systems. I find it VERY hard to believe that 16% of PS3's have died. I know at least 10 people who have owned one and none have died. Before I got my PS3, I searched high and low for PS3 failure rates. ALl I could find was that the Blu Ray would die, but even that was rare.

5. 31
      xsam34

xsam34 Loyal Member

Yup I'm on my fourth one. LOL i still have my Nintendo working great.:p

6. 26,553
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

RRoD, rulez!.:p:rolleyes:

7. 323
      richbambam360

richbambam360 Loyal Member

Postie
      On the PS3 side was it the launch 60gb version that had most of the problems,I Initially thought the PS3 built after the 60gb one where quite solid with hardly any failures

8. 673
      put4558350

put4558350 Loyal Member

xbox360
      - 60% - 3 year warranty.
      - $50-$100 out of warranty repair costs.

or

ps3
      - 16% - 1 year warranty.
      - $150 out of warranty repair costs.

9. 121
      Jsameds

Jsameds BANNED FOREVER

Yeah, but $150 x 1 YLOD = $150

or

$50~$100 x 4 RROD = $200~$400

Plus don't you lose your paid for DLC on a 360 when it dies?

10. 7,336
      ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

One out of warranty RROD for me, im not sure how they got 60% and 16% but its cnet just read the following.
      In just a few sentences cnet completely invalidate their article and their statistics.

11. 8,169
      msanchez

msanchez Loyal Member

I don't know if I can trust those #... 60% is awfully high, and even the ps3's 16% is nothing to be proud of. It might not look as bad as 60%, but it's not really whiting the acceptable range either. As I said though, I don't really trust the accuracy of this.

12. 260
      d889

d889 Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://www.dezertrangers.com
      only a fool would take a survey like this and actually consider it to be true... havnt you guys taken any sociology classes? if you have you would know how that its all about the sample, and this survey utterly fails in that aspect.

and oh yeah to the person who says he has been through 7 boxes, you're doing it wrong. i would relate that to user error more than MS, and frankly i also wouldnt believe you since you say you have 4 gathering dust, and only a complete idiot would actually have kept buying new boxes.

my 1st gen box died after over 2 year of heavy use in a room that got over 100 degrees in the summer, i laughed it off and a new one came for free in a week which i am still using. i have no complaints.

13. 2,358
      QrafTee

QrafTee Loyal Member

... Laugh? Really...

14. 799
      faceless

faceless Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      waiting on my 4th RMA to arrive this week, but still... this article is a joke.

15. 13
      sweetheart^^

sweetheart^^ Loyal Member

i love when theres sht load of broken *anything* and then some smarta$$es come front and say if theirs works then others are idiots.

you think this survey is joke and then use facts like these.

oo the irony.

16. 1,316
      GT-RRR

GT-RRR Loyal Member

That's the PS3 Model I've had since 2007 with the Memory Card Slots and Backwards Compatability, no trouble that I can report here, 16% I can honestly say is a number pulled out of their ass.

17. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      I've known a couple people that have had 3rod and a few that have had ylod, **** happens...the only thing I know for sure is you cant have an uncontrolled self selecting poll and expect anything close to accuracy.

18. 139
      regurgitator

regurgitator Loyal Member

User error ? what turning it on and playing it !!!!! mmmm thats an odd comment.

M$ refused to repair the rrod due to tampering , i have no problem with that as i new what i was doing and it was a risk i took.

Yes i kept buying them , my family enjoy them ... i dont have a problem with that so why do you ?

19. 3,798
      iLLNESS

iLLNESS Loyal Member

HV Industrial Electrician, Mechanic + Emergency Re
      has anyone seen a jasper RROD yet? you can pretty much chill a beer behind that fan. atleast on my mw2 360.

and no, you dont lose it. your content can be reassigned to a new console id i think once a year? and i believe if your console actually does fail more then once in that year m$ will waiver the limit as you do have proof (after you call US based m$ support and get through a few pakis until you find someone who speaks english).