hit tracker

Cobra ODE Video Installation Guide for PS3 with QSB soldering

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by parenghames, Oct 11, 2013.

1. 303
    parenghames

parenghames Loyal Member

I think these are the best installation videos out there for PS3 that needs soldering of QSB so I thought of sharing it with everyone. Would be better if we can stick it.

for 25XX & 3XXX series:

for 4XXX series:

Credits to Khalkedon Electronics for posting these videos on youtube.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2016
  2. 339
    Senaxx

Senaxx PS3SceneFiles Admin Loyal Member

Slacker
    Home Page:
    https://www.playstationscenefiles.com
    Very good detailed installation video :) With the right equipment it should be doable to solder that QSB in any PS3.

3. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

That's the one I used for installing.

4. 303
    parenghames

parenghames Loyal Member

I'm still thinking about soldering it myself. Last time I held a soldering iron was back in highschool. It looks pretty easy based on this video. Do you think an average joe can do it?

5. 339
    Senaxx

Senaxx PS3SceneFiles Admin Loyal Member

Slacker
    Home Page:
    https://www.playstationscenefiles.com
    If you have the right material it should be doable. Soldring iron with fine tip, flux, solder. Not using to much heat on the solder iron. Or do first some practicing on a breadboard.

6. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

But it's very small!!! Really fine tip is what you need.

7. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

They put on way too much thermal paste, it should only be a very thin layer the thinner the better. And use Arctic Silver paste for better results. Especially if you had heat issues before.
    It should only be a little drop as big as a rice grain.
    And smear that out cover the entire processor into a very thin layer.

I just used what was already there and re applied it to better cover the processor. Didn't have any Arctic Silver at home.

8. 13
    autogun

autogun Loyal Member

Cobra ODE Installation Tutorial 4XXX / 4000 Super Slim Series is awesome!
    Best video there is, imho.

Question thought,
    Soldering not only the 4 resistors but also on left side of the QSB Board required only for the Super Slim Series?

Thanks,

9. 303
    parenghames

parenghames Loyal Member

I'd like to know the answer on this one too.

10. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

magneto explained it somewhere on this forum but the advanced search is not working right now so can't search it for you.
    If it does search for, "ground" and posts by magneto.

11. 1,036
    magneto

magneto Cobra ODE Support Loyal Member

Home Page:
    http://www.cobra-ode.com
    Soldering the ground is not required because we already get the ground from the power supply cable. So it's not needed, but you lose nothing in doing it while you're there.

12. 13
    autogun

autogun Loyal Member

Appreciate your answer, magneto!

13. 303
    parenghames

parenghames Loyal Member

I'm gonna buy a soldering lead tonight but I'm torn between 1mm and 0.5mm. Which one would you recommend for the QSB?

EDIT:
    I let the mobile phone technician solder my qsb and he uses 0.3mm. It works.

14. 1
    frattomatti

frattomatti Loyal Member

Somebody have a QSB Chip that no use for the ps3 installation? My chip is semi brik and i need a new QSB chip! I will pay the delivery and the chip! Thanx

15. 12
    coalchamber1022

coalchamber1022 Loyal Member

getting a good junction

Hi guys,
    This is one of the best threads I have found on this topic. I am prepping myself for the solder as this is my first time soldering. I am getting some practice on scrap electronics/metal and was wondering what types of flux anyone would recommend for this? I got some flux paste to dip the solder pencil in before making the junction, this seems pretty good to me but wanted to get a second opinion.

Thanks!
    -Aaron

16. 74
    moccor

moccor Loyal Member

So I also got a CobraODE and I am getting ready to install this. I bought a heat gun, but it doesn't have a small tip like the one in the video. Can I use a heat gun with a wider range in circumference, if so do I have to take any precautions like cover stuff with foil? I read around a bit and people said they covered their PS3 with foil, but that was when re-flowing to fix a YLOD or something. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

17. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

You don't want to affect anything more than what need to be affected as you might damage other components or loosen contacts.
    I used a soldering iron with a very fine tip, but you need some soldering skills for that.

18. 74
    moccor

moccor Loyal Member

Yeah I definitely wouldn't say I'm 'good' at soldering, I just know how haha. But I am good at using tutorials. How come when using the soldering iron to remove the resistors, that the solder sticks to the iron and pulls right off the PCB?

19. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

I guess that's just physics, but it's a good thing as now you can apply new solder. You don't want to reheat solder too many times it will go bad.
    I'm definitely not good at soldering this small but managed to do it myself with a magnifying glass and a fine soldering iron.
    Couple of times I thought I messed things up but I was lucky. Trick is not to let the soldering iron heat too long as that will cause damage.
    So short times with the soldering iron and when it didn't work pull the iron away fast.

20. 74
    moccor

moccor Loyal Member

Well first time was a fail. Burned up one of the little copper joints on the chip. It was really hard to get the solder to stick to the joints. I'm not sure what type of solder I used, it was thin and laying around and Home Depot doesn't have specific types... I got tinning flux, was that the wrong kind? Also, do you have any other tips lol. I got 7 of the 8 joints done good, but it took multiple tries. PS3 looks to be in perfect condition thankfully