hit tracker

Cobra ODE Video Installation Guide for PS3 with QSB soldering

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by parenghames, Oct 11, 2013.

1. 2,017
    DarkKitarist

DarkKitarist <b>Forum's Guitarist</b><br /><i>MaxConsole Mew-Me Loyal Member

Student Gamer that works in a bank :P
    Well anyone with an electronic shop should be able to do this... But beware that some don't wanna mess with closed systems like the PS3 is...

moccor likes this.
  2. 122
    az-shabrani

az-shabrani Loyal Member

the described cable that connect the QSB to the ODE board is damaged can i use the other 2 that look the same ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014
  3. 74
    moccor

moccor Loyal Member

Thanks for the info, I will just try to not mention it is a PS3 unless I have to haha

4. 2,017
    DarkKitarist

Ahahahaha :D good one :D if he doesn't ask don't tell him :D

5. 74
    moccor

moccor Loyal Member

It actually looks like a really old laptop, I would try to say it is but the HDMI and Optical connections would be unexplainable. If they say they can't do it, I will just tell them I will pay someone else lol. I got a call from a place saying they will have to see it in person. I sent them a picture with a ruler next to it for scale size, I wonder if the technician is doubting his skill. 9 of the 10 points are easy to solder, its just that one very tight fit that requires a very sharp iron is a pain.

6. 74
    moccor

moccor Loyal Member

Well my PS3 is up and working awesomely. I wish I took it to this place in the first place, it only costed 20$ and the guy did it right then and there. He also got solder on that big capacitor like I did, so I figured 2 professionals agree it is fine to do so, so I put it together and it works great. Here's a pic in case other people have the same outcome -

2014-04-29 13.24.00.jpg

I just had one problem when putting it together and I think it is due to my dumb country using inches and centimeters. Basically in the video when I was watching, I had no idea what your rulers meant lol. So I went to the guide here:
    http://www.cobra-ode.com/downloads/...(2k5_to_4k)_(v3_v4_v4-QSV)_(English)_v1.1.pdf

And in that guide, the measurements for the same-side contact and opposite-side contact are mixed up.

7. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

The length of the cables doesn't matter all that does is same or opposite side cables.
    Good to hear you got things working!
    Happy gaming!

moccor likes this.
  8. 74
    moccor

moccor Loyal Member

I kinda assumed that, but when using the pdf guide, the numbers are still mixed up :p. I do recommend doing as the videos and guides say though, to just go to a professional. If I would have done that for both PS3's, I would have saved about 30-40$ (including the cost of paying for the soldering). Though I'm sure it varies by the person doing it.

9. 16
    nekonyan

nekonyan Loyal Member

I have some question about installing the ode for super slim.
    Do I need to clean it with synthetic thinner or can I leave it alone?
    Do I have to use thermal paste? What does it do?
    If I do need them, what type of synthetic thinner, thermal paste, and soldering paste do I buy from home depot?
    Thanks

10. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

You can use 100% alcohol to clean anything of if needed.
    The thermal paste is the paste that connects the chips to the cooling block/fan, on older PS3's it's old and brittle, if it's still in a paste form you can still spread it over the chip and reuse it. If it's brittle and old clean it off with alcohol from the chip and heatsink and buy new thermal paste like Artic Silver 5, only use a small drop of paste, the size of a rice grain, and smear it evenly over the surface of the chip. Leave the heatsink clean, this will be filled when the heatsink is again attached to the motherboard.

As for the soldering paste I always use tin wire to solder, buy a very thin piece and a very thin soldering iron.
    But by the sound of it you have never done any soldering before did you?
    Then I say don't do it yourself, bring it to a shop and let them do it.

11. 16
    nekonyan

nekonyan Loyal Member

Thanks you and also which soldering paste do I use, not the wire one but the paste that he used on the video where he dip the soldering iron to. And yes I have never done it before and what kind of shop do I bring it to?

12. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

A electronics repair shop don't know where you are from maybe somebody can suggest you something in your country.
    The paste is probably flux or do you mean instead of the wire?

13. 16
    nekonyan

nekonyan Loyal Member

I guess I'll do it myself and if I f up than it my fault. And I mean the item that he used at 7:00 of the video for 4k

14. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Yes that's soldering flux.
    And we warned you you will probably damage your motherboard so don't come complaining here. ;-)

15. 16
    nekonyan

nekonyan Loyal Member

Thanks for your help. I will try my very best not to f up :)

16. 2,017
    DarkKitarist

Well he will probably complain :D and he can try to his hearts content :D it's a free world :p

17. 16
    nekonyan

nekonyan Loyal Member

Okay I think I f up but just to be sure can the wire be a one big ball or just it have to connect all 8 thing?

18. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

LOL
    This is how it should look like:
    [​IMG]

Anything else is wrong and won't work (it can work in other ways but for the sake of preventing problems let's say it's not).
    One ball like you describe won't work for sure. =-)

19. 16
    nekonyan

nekonyan Loyal Member

Oh shit is it to late to take out the metal?

20. 4,823
    SDeath

SDeath Loyal Member

Did you turn it on like that?
    Yes take out all the metal but things are probably damaged already.
    Told you so. =-)