hit tracker

Devs get just £3 from a £40 game, while publisher takes £12

Discussion in 'Archived General Gaming News' started by Zeus, Jan 10, 2011.

1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
  2. 725
    Hamsterman-SWE

Hamsterman-SWE Loyal Member

so the bottomline is we rather should support the indie developer instead of company head honcho for ripping us on money.
    If that's really the case I rather Pirate the games instead of giving my share to the publishers who seems to leech on talented game developers.

3. 456
    Attitude

Attitude Loyal Member

Or seeing as the Devs get so little you could go out and buy their stuff so that the "talented game developers" get a little bit of money rather than none? Just a thought.

4. 1,199
    DanASBO

DanASBO Loyal Member

The devs are paid by the publisher regardless of sales... the publisher/investor is taking the risk so should reap the rewards.

Am I missing something? :confused:

5. 749
    ok123

ok123 Loyal Member

True, i am pretty sure that the publishers pay the developers as well. If a game costs about £13 million (or about $20 million) to make, and if the developers only made £3 from each game and nothing else, then the game would have to sell like 4.3 million copies just for the developers to break even. Maybe some of the budget is reserverd for marketing etc. that the publishers pay for, but still, a game would have to sell some millions of copies for the developers to just break even.

6. 12
    Renkspoiss

Renkspoiss Loyal Member

No, it would have to sell 870 000 to break even.

7. 749
    ok123

ok123 Loyal Member

£13 million devided on £3 is aproximately 4.3 million :) I was only talking about if the developers only got payed £3 from each copy that they sold and that the developers had to cover all the development costs themself.

8. 947
    DSpider

DSpider Loyal Member

Let's take the most mediocre game title you can find. Let's say it sells, about... Hmmm... 100.000 copies - globally speaking since the game is presumably in English. Multiply those 3 GBP (equivalent of 4.6 USD and 3.6 EUR) by the number of game sales for our example and they get:

300.000 GBP
    460.000 USD
    360.000 EUR

And let's say they're 10 developers (sometimes there are less). Given they split it equally (tho they probably split it by work done) they each make:

30.000 GBP
    46.000 USD
    36.000 EUR

So yeah... Those poor, POOR developers. They just sold you a shіtty game and "only" got that much, each. But wait. Get another sequel (since they already have the basic idea and characters, textures for the levels, etc), make it just a little tiny bit better and double that or more since people are already acquainted with the game and the cost production is way lower because they just "port" over about 90% of the first title.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011
  9. 947
    DSpider

DSpider Loyal Member

Publishers tho are greedy SOBs. But hey, they publish it... They "get it out there". And since they're after money and are always looking to promote them in such a way to achieve the highest impact, those 100.000 copies are actually in the MILLIONS not thousands (Wii Sports Resort sold 7.57 million units in 2009 [link], and according to Amazon, they sell for about 20-40 USD a pop, more in retail stores).

Do the math.

10. 209
    xergal

xergal Loyal Member

Generally speaking (from someone who works in the gaming industry), a publisher will have in its T&Cs a clause whereby (unless they're extremely affluent - EA/Ubi etc) unless X amount of copies of the game are sold, the developer will get nothing.

Happens on digital sales like WiiWare and it happens in retail software.

I do think it funny how people are saying the publishers are greedy, what about the stores that over inflate the price of the software to line their pockets and gain lord knows how many sales from the ignorance of the general populous?

11. 43
    Blippy

Blippy Loyal Member

Whilst I'm sure the information in the original post is present in such a way to justify piracy, it's obvious that you people have no idea as to how a video game is developed in the real world or why software companies are a necessary evil to ensure good quality products.

12. 556
    Z3R0B4NG

Z3R0B4NG Loyal Member

So why not say FU to all the Publishers and publish your games yourself digital only for say $10

= PROFIT !!!

would anybody think twice about picking up a half decent game for $10 a pop? No you'd just click on buy. (think Torchlight or Shadow Complex!).

I want my money to go the the actual talent behind a title, not to some marketing suits and Walmart... That is all just overhead i could very well live without.

We have the Internet, News Pages, Youtube!
    Word of Mouth is bigger then all commercals and marketing you can throw out there.
    ...and i'd count piracy to "word of mouth" ...to some extent.

13. 209
    xergal

xergal Loyal Member

@Z3R0B4NG if it were that simple, more developers would.

At the end of the day, indie developers have to rely on publishers to pick them up. Steam, XBLA, WiiWare, PSN etc etc, all take a cut of the profit but then they also help you market the game to some extent.

I've tried getting a game known, virally. It's virtually impossible to set up and relying on word of mouth to get your game known, is not something you'd hedge your bets on; especially after having say for example £$€100k injected into the project. You WANT journalist attraction, people running previews, advertising campaigns and such like.

You also have to remember that in each territory, the publisher/developer HAS to submit the game again for testing with Sony/MS/Nintendo and if you don't have the publishing rights for say the Asian market, you then have to publish through a third party. You then also have to pay for ELSPA/PEGI ratings in each territory etc.

I do agree with you but the sad fact is, a tiny percentage of games go viral and create such a buzz that they instantly become a global phenomenon.

14. 5,233
    Azariel

Azariel Loyal Member

Publishers are the Godfathers, you can't pass without their approval, they handle everything, you have no worries with distribution, contracts, markets etc. When you say publishers means a lot of people on that team, like a small army ready to sell adn bribe to put that product on the market..