hit tracker

DEX 2 CEX: Easy Way - This simply works for sure, always. NO BRICK!!!

Discussion in 'PS3 Modding Tutorials' started by Brenza, Nov 5, 2012.

1. 134
    Brenza

Brenza Loyal Member

Hi, i'm glad to introduce myself to the PS3 scene with this little tutorial!
    This works for everybody, even for those who didn't set QA Flag before converting to DEX and does not require Factory Service Mode Downgrade so the hdd will not be formatted!!!

DOWNLOAD: MirrorCreator: d2c_for_n00bs.rar (includes all the stuff needed except MultiMAN) - MIRROR_1
    Password: Powered by Brenza

Notes:
    I built a 3.55 DEX CFW with Retail CoreOS this allow you to easily dump the per_console_key_1 (aka eEID Rootkey) by using the flatz's eEID Root Key Dumper.pkg for 3.55 CEX
    The CFW also has SS Patches to let you set the Glevand's qa_extra.pkg from DEX

How to create a valid CEX dump (optional, if needed)
    If you lost your original CEX dump you can create a new one:
    1) Install the "CFW 3.55 DEX With Retail Patched CoreOS" inside the archive
    2) Install and run the homebrew eEID Root Key Dumper.pkg
    3) Copy your key from /dev_hdd0/tmp/eid_root_key to c2d_WithNandSupport folder in the archive
    4) Create a dump of your DEX flash (use MultiMAN, memdump, preloader.. etc)
    5) Copy the dump to c2d_WithNandSupport folder in the archive
    6) Use c2d to create your CEX dump (see c2d readme for help)

How to Convert from DEX to CEX
    1) Install the "CFW 3.55 DEX With Retail Patched CoreOS" inside the archive
    2) Install the last version of Deank's MultiMAN for CEX (min ver 4.10.00) <--- DEX version won't work
    3) Install also rebook.pkg and qa_flag_extra.pkg
    4) Run MultiMAN and open the filemanager (SELECT+START)
    5) Rename your FLASH-CEX dump properly (if you don't have one read below how to create one)
    If 16 MB dumo rename it in FLASH-CEX.EID0.NORBIN
    If 239/256 MB dump rename it in FLASH-CEX.EID0.NANDBIN
    6) "Open" the dump pressing "X" twice and say "yes" to all questions
    7) Close MultiMAN by pressing PS, do NOT power off the PS3 until i say it
    8) Run the homebrew reboot.pkg
    9) Run the homebrew qa_flag_extra.pkg <--- If you don't hear 3 beeps try again or you'll brick
    10) Power off the PS3
    11) Enter in the Recovery Menu and install the original 3.55 CEX <--- Don't install it from XBM or you'll brick!
    Successfully tested on my Slim without qa-flag but it should works on NAND too :rock:

Special thanks to Sguerrini97 who did half of the job
    Thanks to Deank, glevand, flatz, euss and all the other guys behind ps3mfw builder!
    Oh, sorry my bad english! :p

2. 17
    chudczan

chudczan Loyal Member

I think to use of the Rebug toolbox to simplify the process of DEX2CEX
    This is my concept for discussion, don't do this if no approved by experts
    (before You start prepare Your CEX-FLASH.EID0.NORBIN/CEX-FLASH.EID0.NANDBIN on dev_usb000 and renamed REBUG_3.55.3_REX_PS3UPDAT on dev_usb000/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UDAT.PUP)
    1.Install REBUG TOOLBOX 02.00.00 on DEX 355 with peek&poke
    2.Toggle QA Flag with this tool/ check Your QA Flag status before next step
    3.TOGGLE RECOVERY MODE with this tool (do not confuse with PRODUCT MODE!!!)
    4.REWRITE TARGET ID IN FLASH on CEX/DEX tab with Your CEX-FLASH.EID0.NORBIN/CEX-FLASH.EID0.NANDBIN.
    5.Quit Toolbox and return to XMB.
    6.Switch off PS3 from XMB
    7.Power on PS3. Should start in RECOVERY MODE.
    8.Install REBUG 3.55.3 REX EDITION
    9.Check one more time QA Flag status.
    10.Install REBUG 4.21.1 REX EDITION from XMB
    11.Enjoy best 4.21 CFW

Can anyone verify this?

I don't have flasher:(

3. 134
    Brenza

Brenza Loyal Member

NO, YOU CAN NOT ACTIVATE QA FLAG WHILE USING DEX TARGET ID OR YOU'LL BRICK!

You first have to take your target id back to cex, then restart lv2 and qa flag your ps3, any other method will not work!

4. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

PatrickBatman SCENE MOD Loyal Member

Sound good to you Brenza? suggestions? havent tested this method as my console went from DEX to CEX along time ago no problem because I QA toggled.

NEEDED FILES

3.55 DEX with peek & poke
    http://ps3scenefiles.com/file.php?id=858

Kmeaw lv2 kernel & flatz eid root key dumper
    https://anonfiles.com/file/d02a1f1907e0f5ffc47273c00dbc2b6d

Rebug Toolbox
    http://rebug.me/rebug-toolbox/

C2d.exe with NAND Support
    http://ps3scenefiles.com/file.php?id=1195

To get eid_root_key on DEX:
    1) Downgrade to 3.55DEX with peek&poke
    2) Install Rebug-Toolbox-02.00.00
    3) Put lv2_kernel.self from 3.55KMEAW on a usb stick and connect to the PS3
    4) Start toolbox
    5) In Utilities - Load LV2 Kernel (wait...may take awhile)
    6) Start eid0 flatz root key dumper
    7) Multiman CEX - copy your keys to usb
    8) Done

Check if QA toggled, make new flash:
    1) Downgrade to 3.55DEX with peek&poke (if havent already)
    2) Install Rebug-Toolbox-02.00.00 (if havent already)
    3) Start Rebug Toolbox
    4) Plug USB into right PS3 port
    5) Open toolbox, scroll to DEX/CEX, pick Export Flash to File
    6) On PC get flash from usb just dumped and convert to CEX region with c2d.exe
    7) Put new cex flash on same usb as dex flash named CEX-FLASH.EID0.NORBIN (or .NANDBIN)
    8) In toolbox under DEX/CEX Rewrite Target ID in Flash from DEX to CEX
    9) In toolbox under system, restart system with Soft (LV2 Reboot Only)
    10) Go to utilities, toggle QA Flag to ENABLED
    11) Go to DEX/CEX category (in toolbox) pick export flash to file
    12) Use this latest QA CEX flash dump to go back to CEX

5. 134
    Brenza

Brenza Loyal Member

Yes, that may work but i didn't try so i'm not totally sure

6. 2,773
    PatrickBatman

PatrickBatman SCENE MOD Loyal Member

Yeah me neither bahahaha ;)

7. 134
    Brenza

Brenza Loyal Member

You can try if you want, if you brick just enter in FSM and install the CEX pup or flash with preloader

8. 7
    RJ Werden

RJ Werden Loyal Member

I have tried to do this and now have a problem. I managed to get to 3.55 rebug rex. Whenever I try to load anything, multiman or rebug toolbox I get a black screen and have to hold the power button. Nothing seems to load up and everything freezes. I can install pkg's but just can't use them. Anyone have any idea how to fix this. I now have my eido key, dex flash, and cex flash

9. 7
    RJ Werden

RJ Werden Loyal Member

When I load anything at the moment it just goes to a black screen. Right after I click multiman for instance I can see the hdd light blink for a second the screen flashes, then it just stops loading. I wait and wait but nothing ever comes up. I eventually have to hold the power button on the ps3. I am able to install pkg's and have tried reinstalling multiman but still the same issue. Rebug toolbox was installed for the first time after installing rex and that also does the exact same thing. I don't think I have a dex to cex brick because I am able to fully load my firmware, just no homebrew loads.

10. 134
    Brenza

Brenza Loyal Member

install 3.55 ofw (retail) from recovery menu, do it twice

then go to kmeaw or the cfw you like

11. 1
    eminem0208

eminem0208 Loyal Member

I have completed this tutorial, but instead of being on FW 3.55, I am now on FW 3.40. The FW update I used was the 3.55 one, but it shows that I am on FW 3.40. I have tried to reinstall OFW 3.55 and Kmeaw 3.55 and even Rogero 3.55, but no matter what FW I use to update, the system always reads it as the 3.40 update and that's what it installs. I am unable to do any update from the XMB, as it fails when copying the data. I can only update through the recovery menuy. I am very confused by this. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Nevermind, I was an idiot and didn't realize a disc was in the system. My fault. Great tutorial. Everything worked perfectly for me. Thank you!

12. 3
    Fthlss

Fthlss Loyal Member

Hi guys! Kinda in a tight spot here.

I had QA flag when it was first released. Tried the rebug toolbox on rogero dex and it showed as no qa flag set. Now I followed the tutorial to the letter, but when I run the qa flag it doesn't do the 3 beep step. I did it over and over again. Could someone please confirm if it is because I already did it in the past?

please reply. (sorry for my bad english)

Thank you!

13. 134
    Brenza

Brenza Loyal Member

Those who played around qa token while using a targetID dex have certainly invalidated the token
    i suggest you to restore your dex traget id, shutdown the ps3 and start my tutorial back from the beginning

you can also try to reset the token but i think you can't install any pkg right now.. =/
    If you have it installed try resetting it via rebug toolbox, then try again with qa_extra.pkg, if it doesn't beep do as I said above

14. 3
    Fthlss

Fthlss Loyal Member

Thank you Brenza for the reply but after a few hours with the ps3 on and no replys on the issue I restarted the ps3 even without the qa flag set.
    Result... it worked. =D

I'll post the steps I did when the qa-flag pkg didn't worked as it should.

1 - Set the rogero 3.55 cfw ver. 3.7 as it has L1 checks disabled, instead of the OFW 3.55 for the end on the tutorial as I feared that the syscon checks would f*** everything up.
    2 -Tried the qa-flag from your link again (on 3.55 rogero cfw v3.7) to no success. =/
    3- Tried the qa-toggle from the rogero syscon tutorial and the ps3 beeped as it should, then I could confirm that the QA-Flag was set by pressing the button combo.
    4 - Followed the dehash tutorial from rogero.
    4 - Happily 4.21 rogero cfw user now.

Thank you so much for the tutorial though! Hardware flashers are a lot hard to find where I live and you sure saved me a lot of trouble and money.

15. 3
    zhaoyuyan

zhaoyuyan Loyal Member

learning............

16. 8
    Mido Mactavish

Mido Mactavish Loyal Member

your method didnt work i got brick :\ i guess i shouldnt blame you , infact i should thank you cuz i concerted my console from dex back to cex lucky me i have another hard disk i can use to recover my ps3 through FSM ,

for all ppl @PatrickBatman's method will brick after the system restart soft (lv2 restart)

17. 134
    Brenza

Brenza Loyal Member

18. 5
    NightRyder

NightRyder Loyal Member

hi brenza, i got a problem here i followed all your steps and was so close but when i ran your qa toggle the screen went black and just hung there. So i shut off the ps3 from the back and started it back up but now i cant run any of the programs. My ps3 is on but when i try to run mm, the qa toggle, the reboot or anything i get an error and it wont launch. When i try to install anything it won't launch either

19. 134
    Brenza

Brenza Loyal Member

just install 3.55 retail :)

20. 8
    chocobo2k

chocobo2k Loyal Member

Thanks Brenza. I was able to convert from DEX back to CEX.
    Luckily, I kept the DEX dump and EID key when I converted to DEX. I followed your steps. I didn't get the 3 beeps when I did QA toggle. I got 3.55 then I upgraded to 4.46 Rebug. I got MM and other packages successfully. Hopefully no issues! Thanks a lot !