hit tracker

Does N2 work with Nintendo Switch?

Discussion in 'Official 'N^2 Elite' Support Forum' started by m0b0ss, Mar 3, 2017.

1. 13
    NoobGW

NoobGW Loyal Member

Anyone can describe how you are using the N2 Elite for Switch?

2. 1
    phishphan420

phishphan420 Loyal Member

I can confirm the N2 Elite DOES work with the Switch. I just loaded all 17 Zelda Amiibos onto mine yesterday and rotated through all of them on Breath of the Wild. I, like others, was stumped on how to get the bank to switch to the next one until I finally accidentally did it and figured it out. You need to make sure you load it up on your computer with the Amiibos you want and don't forget to "lock" the N2 Elite before you go to use it. Once its locked you can take it to your switch and scan it. Make sure Amiibo support is enabled for BoTW otherwise you won't have the option in-game. I found that to switch to the next bank in the N2 you have to hold the swap button on it down while you hold it on the controller to scan it. I don't know if the N2 needs power to go to the next slot but it seems that by holding the button and pressing it to the reader it makes it go to the next one. Continue doing that for each one and you can rotate through until your back on the first one. For BoTW I found that changing the system clock works so you can use them all multiple times per day. Just make sure to fully close the game and then go into settings, disable internet time set, and manually move day forward one. Then relaunch game and re-scan. Rinse and Repeat. Enjoy!!

3. 80
    deloreancowboy

deloreancowboy Loyal Member

Um... if you lock the N2 you can't switch to the next amiibo that was. My N2 is never locked and I've been scanning it and switching to the next bin on the Switch multiple times.

Yes a bit of electricity gets sent to the N2 during the scanning process. That's how you are able to hold down the button while the N2 is being scanned to get to the next bin.

4. 15
    dm18

dm18 Loyal Member

all the guides i've read say lock it, or it won't work. now I'm going to have to try with it 'unlocked'.

5. 6
    El Papa

El Papa Loyal Member

I've never needed it to be locked for it to work.. but I do agree there's a 'sweet spot' you need to hit on the N2Elite for it to work correctly the with switch.. where with the 3DS it 'just works'.

6. 130
    Falco20019

Falco20019 Developer

The sweet spot of the switch seems to be smaller. Maybe since the have the antenna sticking in the right stick where they had a big flat surface on the 3DS. I place mine centric in the stick and it works.

Please do NOT lock your amiiqo/N2! It is discouraged and the official 2.0.1 app even disables the button so that people are not locking it since it's unnecessary right now.

7. 15
    dm18

dm18 Loyal Member

That just begs the question what was locking for XD

FYI the first time I got my n2. It was locked. and I had to unlock it before I could use it.

8. 130
    Falco20019

Falco20019 Developer

Technically, locking seems to be meant as a method to avoid it being detected by sending the N2 specific commands to it. Since in locked state, it just replies with "unknown command".

Nintendo is not checking that (and there is another method how it could be detected right now), so practically it does not help much right now and can be ignored until Nintendo tries to block it. And once Nintendo tries blocking, both methods can be fixed by updating the app pretty easily.

9. 40
    GyroDragona

GyroDragona Loyal Member

One of those two detection methods have already been closed since the code from the amiibitz app was contributed to the N2 Elite team. The only way to detect it now would be to leave it unlocked while in use.

10. 130
    Falco20019

Falco20019 Developer

Amiibitz only created full dumps but is still not using them. AFAIK that has not changed in N2 app. So nothing has changed :) users are just getting prepared for the case and amiibitz also had the code in it, just commented out to keep the old behavior until needed. Just so that Amiibitz could detect the N2 easier

11. 40
    GyroDragona

GyroDragona Loyal Member

From what I could tell from my interactions with the Amiibitz creator, firmware (introduced in Amiiqo 1.2 for android) support has been in place even before the most recent updates to the N2 Elite with the Amiibitz code brought in and that Amiibitz has indeed been writing such data when available. It stands to reason that the N2 Elite team would keep that functionality in place.

12. 130
    Falco20019

Falco20019 Developer

Support for full dumps in the firmware yes. But amiiqo 1.2 only dumped 540 byte. Amiibitz dumps 572 and so does N2 app since 2.0.0. But only 540 byte are read from those dumps right now and only 540 byte are written to N2.

13. 40
    GyroDragona

GyroDragona Loyal Member

I was not saying that it was doing full dumps, just that it updated the firmware for amiiqo/N2 Elite to be able to use them.

Are you sure about that? Where did you find that out from? If both the firmware for the device and the app support it why would it not use it if the dump has that info available? That would make no sense.

He sure makes it sound like it is used within Amiiqo/N2 Elite writes.

14. 130
    Falco20019

Falco20019 Developer

a) To still keep it easier detectable for the app itself and b) to not hint Nintendo in any direction what was changed.

You know that you quoted me their, right? ;) with support I also meant "firmware wise". I also wrote you a PM how you can check yourself that it really is still not in use for the two arguments stated above. I think the method to detect it is well known by a lot more people now half a year later. But why fix something that is not blocked? It's better to use the knowledge yourself, i.e. to detect it for yourself

GyroDragona likes this.
  15. 40
    GyroDragona

GyroDragona Loyal Member

Ya, I saw the PM after sending this and finally looked at your name in this thread right after sending that last post. I am surprised you did not hear the forehead smack from there. It is good to know at least.

It is still weird to think that they have all this info and could easily put it in place but just don't. I am sure they would still have not released anything if not for you having already done all the groundwork for them. I really hope they prove me wrong on that front though. It was disheartening too see nothing from them in over a year.