hit tracker

EXCLUSIVE: Cobra ODE - The Wait Is Over! - UPDATE: Official FAQ Released!

Discussion in 'Underground PlayStation Scene' started by GaryOPA, Jun 15, 2013.

By GaryOPA on Jun 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  1. 25,610
    GaryOPA

GaryOPA Master Phoenix Admin Staff Member Top-Dog Brass

Media:
    Design Eng.
    Home Page:
    http://www.O-P-A.biz
    NEWS UPDATE: June 21, 2013 - Official Cobra ODE FAQ Released

The delays are over, The testing is done, Final version is ready, Amazing new features, Shipping soon

After alot of delays, the wait is well worth it, and now the Cobra ODE is finally ready, and it unlocks even more things on your consoles, including full usage of 'homebrew' on the very latest of PS3!

[​IMG]

Well after the good news a few days ago that Cobra-ODE is finally ready, and it does 'homebrew' and works on all consoles including 4K Slims, there was alot of 'questions' from people on various forums, and the Cobra team has taken the time out to release a wonderful FAQ answering alot of those questions, including even the one about the 'gloves'. -- It is well worth the read!

Read the OFFICIAL COBRA-ODE FAQ via our the Official English Cobra-ODE Support Forum found right here on PS3Crunch!

Here is their official PR from a few days ago with all the amazing, juicy details for the New & Improved Cobra ODE:

Check out below the Cobra-ODE features and PS3 models supported below, along with some cool videos of it working!

FAT:

• CECHA (PATA)
    • CECHB (PATA)
    • CECHC (PATA)
    • CECHE (PATA)
    • CECHG (PATA)
    • CECHH (PATA)
    • CECHK (PATA)
    • CECHL (SATA) (most consoles)***
    SLIM:

• CECH2XXX (SATA)
    • CECH21XX (SATA)
    • CECH25XX (SATA)
    • CECH3XXX (SATA)
    SUPER SLIM:

• CECH4XXX (SATA)
    ***FAT consoles (SATA) CECHL, CECHM, CECHP and CECHQ with drive controller BMD-21 will be supported in a future hardware iteration.

FOR MORE INFO: Official Cobra-ODE Supported Consoles

• Supports virtually all PS3's including previously "unbreakable" 2k5,3k and 4k systems!
    • Homebrew now possible on previously "unbreakable" 2k5,3k and 4k systems!
    • Play games on SEN in pass-through or emulation modes**!
    • On screen selection of games through Cobra ODE manager in XMB
    • Emulation or pass-through modes
    • Advanced Smart Fusion AES encryption and decryption engine on board
    • Fully updatable high speed FPGA's and high speed secure MCU on board
    • Updatable via USB storage
    • Expansion ports for future proofing
    • Simple and easy to use
    • High quality components used throughout
    • Built at a high tech facility
    • Solderless installation on FAT*** and SLIM (2xxx and 21xx) series
    • Easy installation on 25xx,3xxx and 4xxx series Slim and Super Slim series consoles with QSB (quick solder board)
    • Easy setup for PATA or SATA consoles
    • Advanced software onboard and frequent free updates

• BD Movie support to follow (In a future update)
    • PS1 and PS2 ISO support to follow (on BC consoles in a future update)
    • PS3 BD game disc dumping on all PS3 consoles is supported and can be enabled through third party managers (dumping throughput will be improved in future updates)

**We cannot guarantee the longetivity of this feature owing to the use of homebrew app to achieve it.
    ***FAT consoles (SATA) CECHL, CECHM, CECHP and CECHQ with drive controller BMD-21 will be supported in a future hardware iteration.

FOR MORE INFO: Official Cobra-ODE Feature List

OFFICIAL SITE: Cobra ODE

Remember PS3Crunch is also the official site for English support, and you can view the forum right here for more information! :)
    [hr][/hr]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

Comments

Discussion in 'Underground PlayStation Scene' started by GaryOPA, Jun 15, 2013.

1. 129
      brakk3n

brakk3n Loyal Member

What are you the "Modified PS3 Price Police"?
      Yes, I'm aware of this.
      Wouldn't bother me.
      Sony products happen to do that; especially more then often.

2. 105
      yonut32

yonut32 Loyal Member

cobra use internal memory? i don't know what to get...12gb or 500gb ?

what u can tell us about online pass and DLC?

3. 4,102
      gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
      http://techbliss.org
      Here we go again - let's try and keep this thread clean and free from useless crap.

And no brakk3n, rednekcowboy is not the "Modified PS3 Price Police" - it's more or less everyone who calls the shots on system prices so that decides the overall average price for a system.

4. 1,327
      rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Developer

LMAO, actually that would be a good title to go under my name! :p

5. 129
      brakk3n

brakk3n Loyal Member

Well, regardless of the average bounty around your part of the sea I wonder if this ODE technology, since it allows backups on every Slim and SuperSlim will drive the price of CFW PS3 down? It's going to be interesting to see how this device impacts the market for CFW PS3, which in many peoples opinions, you should not have to pay a cent to have shipped, flashed and sent back to you.

6. 4,102
      gDrive

gDrive Not Your Mommas Tranny Clean-Up Crew

Home Page:
      http://techbliss.org
      Dangwoot should be able to change it then! :p

7. 1,327
      rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy Developer

It could possibly, if it catches on. I'm just curious as to how much demand there is for a product like this at this stage of the PS3's life cycle.

BTW, I never said anything about shipping, etc. I said what I could do or get done locally. Just to set the record straight.

8. 129
      brakk3n

brakk3n Loyal Member

The PS2 is still very popular in the States and is still moving massive amounts of software in other countries where a PS3 would cost more then two months rent I would imagine the PS3 still has a lot of life left in her especially since Sony still supports the PS2 and said they aren't dropping support for the PS3 anytime soon. For me, there is no demand for the PS4. The PS3 is/was the last product I ever purchase from them.

9. 129
      brakk3n

brakk3n Loyal Member

The ODDE is a physical peice of hardware and you cannot reproduce it simply using software. Cloning it may be possible and it may be possible to use Cobra's ODE to discover how they probe the drive for its drive keys, but that would require hardware to achieve this. Even if you were to reproduce the probing functionality of the Cobra ODE with your own DIY hardware that would not get you closer to flashing CFW to current models of the PS3 that do not support CFW. ODE technology and CFW are very different to the extent you cannot duplicate ODE technology with CFW unless it is a hardware based solution.

10. 65
      jawgee

jawgee Loyal Member

Technological differences aside...will there be any features that the Cobra ODE has over CFW? Just trying to figure out if this would be worth getting for users with PS3s < 3.56 OFW. The Cobra dongle seemed to have a leg up on playing PS2 and PSP games, but I wonder if there are other present or future features that might be worthwhile. ~Thanks.

11. 62
      medi01

medi01 Loyal Member

12. 129
      brakk3n

brakk3n Loyal Member

Cheaper solution usually means free in the PS3 scene, but all the same - you're welcome.

13. 571
      themuse

themuse Loyal Member

yeah i mean if can run homebrew then why cant it use MMcm or MM ?
      or is this just for emulation mode? and you can use other managers in pass through mode?

14. 129
      brakk3n

brakk3n Loyal Member

There is a difference between the "emulation" and "bypass" modes.

Emulation Mode = Allows you to "emulate" the BD-ROM drive thus allowing for you to use the Cobra ODE's features; such as external USB ISO loading and homebrew support. Running any sort of homebrew while either offline or online risks your console & user account being banned from SEN.

Passthrough Mode = Simply passes the signal from the BD-ROM drive to the PS3 motherboard or BD-ROM drive controller (depends on your PS3 model) so none of the Cobra ODE's functionality works (except of course, allowing the signal to be passed through the device). So no USB loading and no homebrew. It acts just as your system would when inserting a normal disc into the drive.

Now, if you use a "homebrew app to achieve" SEN access, then you risk being banned, but it is impossible to run a "homebrew app to achieve it" in "Passthrough Mode". Additionally, the Cobra ODE doesn't use a "homebrew app to achieve" SEN access. Due to the way ODE's work there is no need to do so. Any "homebrew app to achieve" SEN access would be run by the end-user.

As for what homebrew is supported and the limitations (if any) we will have due to technical aspects of the homebrews interaction with the PS3 we do not know what you can run (homebrew wise) on the PS3 with the Cobra ODE not just yet.

We don't know if you can run MultiMan or any other sort of USB loading homebrew app just yet. If any of the beta testers see this and know for certain, please do reply. I'd like to know either way and why.

Does that clear things up a little?

--- [ updated / more ] ---

Someone brought up a good point that the statement "We cannot guarantee the longetivity of this feature owing to the use of homebrew app to achieve it." is poorly written. I believe that Cobra should state that using *any* homebrew app (including hacked or modded games) while offline or online in "emulation mode" will more then likely get you banned from SEN even if it is bad for the very teeny tiny amount of people who actually care if they can run homebrew to begin with.

15. 56
      kalberto

kalberto Loyal Member

Brakk3n, You're the one, who was making pdf review about 3k3y, right ?

Thanks for 3k3y reviews.

I'm waiting for your reviews about cobra-ode

once again, thanks

16. 8
      zecoxao

zecoxao Loyal Member

when cobra says it allows homebrews on unhackables, just how far is possible to go with those homebrews? as in, what homebrews can we use and what homebrews aren't possible?

17. 777
      TomatOsaUce

TomatOsaUce Ex-Convict Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://exconvict.org
      Depends what they have done.. but the simple homebrew as an ISO method would allow for Lv2 homebrew like RetroArch etc.
      A lot of multiMAN would work.. the more lower level stuff likely wouldnt.
      FTP, NOR dumping and flashing should work though which would be interesting

18. 129
      brakk3n

brakk3n Loyal Member

Yes, I am.

Reviewing the first ODDE for the PS3 was a great honor. I was able to get a closer look at the PS3 Scene and I understand why so many creative developers left it. Being attacked personally from every angle by delusional site operators, "last-word" moderators, whacked developers and people who call themselves sceners from all of the major scene sites gave me a better perspective on why the PS3 scene works as is. Playing along also gave the review, the product and myself more free PR then I could of imagined. I'm not sure if/when I will review the Cobra ODE, but if I do I'm sure you'll hear about it and thank you for the kind comment.

19. 16
      scrano

scrano Loyal Member

Hi guys, I see there are a lot of questions about the Cobra ODE on the forum here, and I've been able to find out a little bit more information about the device, which makes it sound very promising, like there is no downgrading of firmwares required, or any of that stuff. The only soldering that needs to done is with the Slim, and Super Slim 2k, 25k, 3k, and 4k models, and it's just a QSB, so it really makes it much more simple (if you've seen how they now use QSB's with the Progskeet, instead of NAND or NOR clips. You can find a video on the Progskeet website, which demonstrates a QSB being installed, if it helps at all. Homebrew can be run, but it's limited, because the device doesn't use a CFW at all, so homebrew software that uses Linux commands like Peek or Pole, or any type of Linux says call, won't work. If you don't like the look of the Cobra ODE game manager, then you can install a different one that you like, but they say that this is risky, because there own game manager has been designed to mimic an existing PS3 game title, which is why they think that it'll be very hard to detect, but others may not do this, especially if they've been designed for a CFW or something like that. There are video on the Cobra ODE website which show it working on all 3 styles of PS3, but there are a couple of models that it doesn't work on yet, but it will in future firmware update, so it looks as though they've covered all of their bases, but they published FAQ text on there website today, that answers a hell of a lot of questions that have been asked, and it's well worth reading, because I know that I felt much more secure about the device, once I read what they had to say which you'll find here: http://cobra-ode.com/cobraODEfaq.html. So if you want to go to the site, and have a read at all of the questions that they've answered, then I'd suggest to have a read, because it's really worthwhile reading it.

I hope that this helps guys a little bit at least

20. 129
      brakk3n

brakk3n Loyal Member

That was a bold move by Cobra to discuss various things brought up by the tadpoles in this pond. My educated assumptions seemed to have been panned out. Based on their "FAQ" the addition to the removal of some resistors with the installs for later version consoles will up the difficulty and the margin or error, but not too much. It's actually quicker to remove them then it is to put them back on the board. Not that either requires much skill.

I am however feeling a bit blue about the required Cobra ODE homebrew application required to select the ISO files with. Granted, the Wasabi for the 360 is similar, but the 3k3y at least lets you chose not to use a fancy onscreen menu that could lead to Sony figuring out you're running stuff you're not supposed to - thus the result most likely being a PSN BAN. Although, like Cobra said the odds are very low of this actually happening as with the Wasabi ODDE for the 360 has been out for years and M$ still hasn't figure out how to ban it and their security team is constantly caught up in a cat and mouse debacle. Of course, running homebrew or hacked/modded content on PSN will piss off Sony and its 3rd parties enough to probably take a notice to the Cobra ODE. Its too bad people want OS menus when in all reality what they want is going to get them banned, which, most end users don't want that to happen. Time will tell I suppose.

Everything else seems to be on par with what an ODE does; for those who just wanted to comment about things without taking 2 seconds to go read about how they work. Granted, the device is not out yet, so this is more education assumptions, but so is the negative crap floating around made by people who have no idea how the technology works. I guess you can't win.

It was definitely a bold move for Cobra to address these issues that certain people brought up and of course if any of them respond will give some more hits for the device : ) . Interesting stuff though. You should like, actually read it, then maybe, just maybe go read up on what ODDE devices actually do before judging something - so at least your assumptions will be a little bitty more edumucated then others.

It is going to be interesting on how this device impacts the scene. Like I said in my 3k3y ODDE Review that once ODDE tech for the PS3 can be installed on OFW on newer consoles the entire scene will be transformed. No longer will the stagnation, degradation and the ones who can't "let go" really have much influence in contributing to the disgrace most of this scene has become. There is now some light... Embrace it.