hit tracker

Final code confirms Final Fantasy XIII looks worse on 360 than PS3

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 16, 2010.

By Zeus on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:41 AM
  1. 11,051
    Zeus

Zeus MaxConsole News Team

Home Page:
    http://www.maxconsole.com
    A journalist has got his hands on the final code for Final Fantasy XIII. And after playing the PS3 version, he reports back that the Xbox 360 version is worse. The CG is extremely compressed, objects are less detailed, character clothing doesn't have the final details amongst more 'issues'.

<blockquote>The final retail Xbox 360 code is in the door and comes off comparatively the poorer...

Final retail code has just arrived in the building for the Xbox 'cut' of Final Fantasy XIII and as many suspected, it is exactly that. A cut.

Having just finished the game in just under sixty hours on PS3 puts us in prime position to note the differences in visual quality.

“Sacrifices have clearly been madeâ€

So far we have noted:

* While facial detail appears largely unchanged, the characters' clothes appear at first glance to be lacking finer details, with notably lower resolution textures.
    * Incidental environmental objects and enemies appear less detailed, both in texture and geometry.
    * The game's CG is extremely compressed and pales alongside the stunning HD goodness which blu-ray offers.</blockquote>

News Source: <A href="http://www.nowgamer.com/news/2526/ffxiii-significantly-poorer-on-xbox" target="_blank">NowGamer</a>

Comments

Discussion in 'Xbox Gaming News' started by Zeus, Feb 16, 2010.

1. 234
      Zilluss

Zilluss Loyal Member

This is the first game where one might admit that Blu-Ray is actually NEEDED to achieve a better result.

2. 556
      Taft

Taft Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      Ofc is should look better on Ps3 as it is the platform they decided to go for and we all know that bluray can store more data without need to compress. But I would like to see myself how exactly/big different there is. Gonna be interesting.

3. 6,626
      tech3475

tech3475 Loyal Member

I can see many people pirating the 360 version then buying the PS3 version.

After all, with the "controversy" over the gameplay, some would rather waste £1 on a disc rather than £30-40 on a game.

Unless they release an actual demo with the first hour or so of gameplay.

4. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

It was only needed to support the CGI.

5. 377
      Brandogg

Brandogg Loyal Member

Home Page:
      http://
      Again, this has nothing to do with being on a Blu Ray disc (maybe the video part, but there are ways to compress the video and still have it look great), and ha sall to do with Final Fantasy being *basically* a Sony Exclusive for the past 15 years. Oh, and FF sucks balls anyway.

6. 382
      taiki

taiki Loyal Member

Uhm.

This won't be the first one. Rage is going to suffer similar issues.

Once you start pushing more triangles and larger, beefier textures through a console or a PC's GPU, the more space you're going to need. Period. Bluray only makes sense going forward because, let's face it, who wants to be at the mercy of DVD's disk space requirement? You thought PS3 forced installs were bad, what about when you're installing things to your 360 and it says, "insert disk 2" then "insert disk 3?" It's like we're going backwards to days of installs off floppy.

Who wants to be at the mercy of their ISP's download cap to download things they purchased? Google's 1 gigabit Fiber to the Premise system looks fantastic for that but, let's again, be honest, how wide is that roll out going to be? How many people are actually going to have 1 gigabit service? How many people are going to be gunshy about caps?

The future, for now, is still in games on a disc media. Unless this is the end point for games graphical development. In which case, this is where it ends.

7. 382
      taiki

taiki Loyal Member

You mean like Final Fantasy 7 and 8 being on PC? Or Final Fantasy XI being on PC and 360? or Final Fantasy spinoffs that have been on Wii and DS?

8. 1,002
      Tyrael

Tyrael Loyal Member

LEARN. SOME. EFFING. VIDEOGAMING. HISTORY. ok?

9. 199
      twoboys

twoboys Loyal Member

LOL, and I suppose the CGI/FMV is not a big part of the FF series of games?

There is nowhere to run away from this at all even if you are a die hard 360 fanboy.
      BluRay was and is the obvious choice because of its huge data capacity, and really lets be honest, who for one moment thought that both versions would be identical. You just cannot compress that quality of video and expect the same results.

What is interesting to me is the number of gameplay differences that have been commented on by various sources. Video compression was always going to be an obvious one but I didn't really think that much else would be inferior IMHO.

Don't flame, discuss, but don't flame.

10. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

That must have been why Lost Odyssey didn't work on the 360. I wonder why the creator of the Final Fantasy series didn't release it on Blu-ray. If Final Fantasy were an open world game, then I'd say that Blu-ray is an absolute necessity since you can't be expected to continuously swap discs by walking to a different section of the game. It's a linear game where most of the space is taken up by superfluous data.

11. 26,553
      Xenogears V

Xenogears V Senior Helper Clean-Up Crew

But Square Enix a few days ago admitted to having manipulated an image and the graphics were the same. No 360 is worse...I dont' understand anymore a f*ck.

12. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      Gotta love Zeus's usual fanboy baiting. Dropping the "slightly" from the headline at the original source was brilliant and definately did the trick...bravo zeus.....:rolleyes:

Anyone remember when Oblivion came out for the PS3 with slightly better textures for some objects. Same thing here, didnt have any effect on gameplay and the game still looked great. I guess if you care about such things the 1080p cut scenes are a bonus for those that can take advantage of them, a majority of us will be playing on 720p tv's anyway though so it doesnt really make much difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
    13. 7,336
      ThreeDog

ThreeDog Loyal Member

Fallout 3 too, they all focused on the textures instead of other details and the game. I don't see why it matters as long as there are no game breaking bugs.

People are making too big of an issue out of this.

14. 90
      PalmiNio

PalmiNio Loyal Member

As always i will wait for a more Pro comparison from DigitalFoundry at Eurogamer or from the Beyond3D forum. Not the first time people talk **** about a game looking better on one platform or the other.

Inferior textures on 360 doesn't sound likely considering it tend to be the opposite due to RAM.

But the CGI movie will be better on PS3, movies always are due to space on BluRay.

15. 6,014
      grapeape

grapeape Loyal Member

Consultant
      hehe it must have been really "slight" on Fallout 3, i have it for both platforms (bought it for the 360 first..then found the PS3 lunch box special edition for $30 on clearance at target and bought that too. I finished it on the 360 but started over on the PS3 and didnt notice. :)

16. 272
      bubbleboy

bubbleboy Loyal Member

Gameplay? Final Fantasy is just one big FMV, you just press a few buttons every 30 mins or so to get past the lovely random battles that make you go *%^**(& whenever they happen. Then upgrade your character and walk a bit.

Rinse, Repeat.

What a crappy franchise.

17. 209
      fever

fever Loyal Member

i would sue if i was Microsoft

18. 1,817
      sirxlaughs

sirxlaughs Loyal Member

For what, exactly?

19. 3,209
      Trashcat

Trashcat Loyal Member

A journalist gets his hand on the final version for 360 but apparently his hands are too short to take a screenshot.