hit tracker

Finding Pointer Codes With Gateway RAM Dump

Discussion in 'Game Cheat Codes Discussion' started by xJam.es, Jan 25, 2016.

1. 365
    DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

I tried this last night, theres a game im going to start on which i know the code for infinite ammo changes and thought this would be great.

I did two codes for ammo, followed the guide and it had two results in green but when i entered one it crashed, entered the other it crashed.

in your guide it said your code was too long, rather than been 8 digits long yours was 9, but my results in green was only 8 digits long.

ill try again tonight and post the code to see if im doing it wrong.

2. 115
    winchain

winchain Loyal Member

if it freezes instantly after you enabled the cheat, then it must be your coding problem

3. 365
    DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

scrap that, i think i figured out what i did wrong

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2016
  4. 17
    Jitsuryoku

Jitsuryoku Loyal Member

Is there any sort of a guide or such that explains all the logic written in hex codes?
    From time to time I write my own codes, but I seem to be stuck on basic level.
    I've noticed people use conditional writes, key triggers, and few other codes I can't remember, but I have no clue how to actually write them.

5. 161
    xJam.es

xJam.es Loyal Member

Have you tried looking at my cheat-sheet for AR codes (check my signature). It might be what you're after but if you need anything different just ask.

6. 365
    DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

ive just looked at your cheat sheet for something to read and i think for people who are new your post is a little wrong at the start.

Where you have the code types and you have an example code for 32/16/8bit, the example codes are all 32bit.

Think for newbies to understand your example codes i think changing.

example
    0 type code is 32bit:
    023D6B28 3B9ACA00

1 type code is 16bit:
    023D6B28 00002710 - but should be 123D6B28 00002710

2 type code is 8bit:
    023D6B28 00000032 - but should be 223D6B28 00000032

7. 161
    xJam.es

xJam.es Loyal Member

well spotted - thanks, i've updated it now.

8. 8
    GothicIII

GothicIII Loyal Member

@xJam.es: Thank you for your tutorial. I'm using other tools because TempAR is crashing alot when I use 0x0 as base address.
    Whatever.

I've got a problem with MH3U. I need pointers for example the inventory.
    After I found the baseaddress of the inventory (for slot1) I dump the RAM and look for pointers with a pointer tool.
    Let's say I found around 150 pointers (or pointer2pointers) I restart the 3DS (to reshuffle the memory locations) and do the same things to find the baseaddress for the inventory again (and to compare the pointer results with the new dump).

After I search for pointers with the new aquired base address the pointertool doesn't find any pointers :/ Even when I manually calculate the pointers from the 1st search I end up beeing in a wrong memory location.

I already expanded the maximum memory offset to 0x10000 and even if it finds around 5000 pointers for the first run the 2nd memory dump will have zero pointers left to work with.

Is it some kind of cheat-preventing game? What can I do to circumvent this? All I do know is that the inventory base address is always around 0x16500000-0x16700000.
    I mean I did that kind of stuff with mh4u and this worked great. But here its a brickwall.

Please help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  9. 161
    xJam.es

xJam.es Loyal Member

Hi GothicIII - I have heard that some of the useful RAM for MH3U may be in the regions not dumped by Gateway, hence your unsuccessful pointer searches so far.

Have you tried a coupled of NTR RAM dumps to see if they give you any more luck?

10. 115
    winchain

winchain Loyal Member

that was already fixed in 3.6.1
    what other pointer search besides TempAR?

11. 8
    GothicIII

GothicIII Loyal Member

I think I found the problem. I need to investigate it further but I think that many games which run in O3DS-Mode are affected.
    Since fw11.0.0 nintendo introduced some kind of ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization) which would explain my symptoms that the
    memory address is not static. I see it also in the Gateway-RAM Dumps-size which differs now everytime I rerun a game (seeable also in the memory regions).
    What seems odd is that sometimes the memory regions are the same and most of the time it is not. So it could be a pseudo ASLR what nintendo implemented and can be circumvented.

What I don't understand is that nobody seems to care about that :/ Or am I completely wrong with my thesis?

@xJam.es: I don't have set up NTR but when I tried it I had problems to run it. It crashed while loading the firmware because it didn't aknowledge the homemenu version thus couldnt inject the code. I don't know the workaround for this.

@winchain: Sorry, I don't understand your question

12. 115
    winchain

winchain Loyal Member

As far as I know, no cheats address are affected by 11.0
    I mean what pointer search tool are you using?

13. 161
    xJam.es

xJam.es Loyal Member

@GothicIII - I would assume you to be correct if all current cheats topped working (i.e all fixed memory addresses suddenly became dynamic).

That doesn't mean, however, that things have not changed.

Could you load a Gateway RAM dump (before decompressing) into Gateway Ram Tools, View the headers and export them, then just post here?

Hopefully i can help with what might be missing.

14. 115
    winchain

winchain Loyal Member

it should be a problem with the pointer tool he's using

15. 365
    DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

tempar doesnt seem to be working for me anymore, its not showing any results, can anyone try these for me.

08a32f10

08a34b10

thanks

16. 115
    winchain

winchain Loyal Member

what do you mean? there are no ram dumps in your post

17. 365
    DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

Ok i seem to be having issues doing this.

When i was doing infinite health for Resident Evil Revelations, it would only work for certain levels, or for jill through most chapters, then optantic made one that works on all levels.

He said he did this finding the pointer codes, but so did i.

Again theres another code i want to make that uses pointer codes, but the version of the tools ive downloaded seem different.

Now i find the code then do a ram dump, restart the game until the address has changed and the current code doesnt work, i then find it again, make another ram dump.

I copy the dumps to my computer, use GatwayRAMTools (which looks different) to open them and extend them.

I then open the first ram dump in TempAR, type the first address, then open the second ram dump and type the second address, i then set the drop menu from psp to other and tick AR and find pointer.

In regards to the code im making it lists a few (prob 4 or 5) none of them are green, but i thought id try them.

For testing i leave the value to 0 so i can see if it works, first code works but when i restart the chapter it crashes the game, the second code also works but after restarting a few times the code doesnt work (doesnt crash the game), the other results have no effect, the last one crashes instantly.

Am i missing something when finding pointer codes?

Thanks

18. 161
    xJam.es

xJam.es Loyal Member

Have you tried using the pointer searcher built in to the updated GatewayRAMTools? If you need a walkthrough then check the project page (click here).

See if that gives you any better results.

19. 365
    DW360

DW360 Loyal Member

Thanks ive downloaded and tried.

when doing a pointer search i see the green bar go across but when its full nothing happens

20. 161
    xJam.es

xJam.es Loyal Member

if the bar reaches the end and the list is blank, it means your RAM dumps don't contain any matching pointers.